Author Topic: Gerge Henry Pentland and Jane Anderson married c 1820 Co. Armagh  (Read 3428 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gerge Henry Pentland and Jane Anderson married c 1820 Co. Armagh
« on: Sunday 20 July 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
A number of family trees have picked on the civil registration of the death of George Pentland in 1871 as a record of the death of Jane Anderson's husband but I wonder whether this may stand re-examination?

There appear to be six children registered to the couple between 1823 and 1835 and a suggestion that there was an seventh in 1840. The births of Lucy (1823), Elizabeth Ann (1826), Jane Elizabeth (1828), Thomas George (1829), Isaac (1831) and Margaret (1835) appear to be proved by entries in the Seagoe records.

I have seen reference to another daughter, Ann born in 1833 which seems to be based on an entry in the 1900 census of South Manchester, Hartford, Connecticut. There is evidence to suggest, however, that the single lady in the census was the widow of another George Pentland.

The youngest, George is claimed to have died on 30th November 1860 at Tartaraghan but I can find no source for this claim.

When Griffiths published the primary valuation of Co. Armagh in 1864 William Warnock was renting a house from Jane Pentland on the land which she rented, along with her own house, from Henry Stanley. He is likely her son in law and lack of his own land suggests he was farming his mother in law's. There being no sign of his father in law it seems probable he had died between his daughter Elizabeth's marriage in 1852 and the valuation. If the death in 1860 is supported by evidence is it not more likely, therefore, to be George Henry rather than an otherwise unknown son?

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gerge Henry Pentland and Jane Anderson married c 1820 Co. Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been following this family.
George Pentland married Jane Anderson.  Her maiden name came from a child's death certificate. 
When their first children were born, the location was Drumgor.

Lucy/Lucinda Pentland was baptized on 15 jan 1823, Drumgor, with record listing her as the daughter of George and Jane
Elizabeth Ann Pentland was  baptized on 13 dec 1826, Drumgor.  She was listed as the daughter of George and Jane, and the sponsors were Edward Tapley and Margaret Dynes.

the family located to Derrykeevan, Tartaraghan

Jane Elizabeth Pentland was born 5 oct 1838, and baptized 3 dec 1828, d/o George and Jane Pendleton, Derrykeevan

Thomas George Pentland was born 1 sep 1830, Derrykeevan ( This is our direct descendant and we have his information from family papers).

Margaret Pentland was born 14 may 1835, and baptized 5 jul `835, d/o of George and Jane Pentland, Derrykeevan

George Pentland was born 1850, Derrykeevan, he died 30 nov 1860, (that date was given to me by a researcher - I will have to go through records to see more info)

The Tithe Applotment Records for 1834 show George Pentland living in Derrykeevan.

The Griffith's Valuation shows Jane Pentland living in Derrykeevan.  I believe the Valuation for that area was done around 1864, indicating that George had likely died by that time.

There are marriage records for the children.
Lucy married John Thornton on 9 oct 1845, in Tartaraghan COI,  listed as the daughter of George Pentland, a weaver, Derrykeevan.  Witnesses to wedding were James Wright and William Smyth.

Elizabeth Pentland, a spinster, full age, of Derrykeevan, daughter of George Pentland, a farmer married Joseph Black, a widower on 10 jun 1852, Drumcree COI, married by G Hunt.  Witnesses were Henry Craig and Thomas Black.  (Elizabeth and Joseph emigrated to Australia shortly after their wedding).

Jane Pentland, of Derrykeevan, spinster, full age, married William Warnock, bachelor from Kilmagamish, full age, on 19 dec 1850, Tartaraghan COI Civil Marriage Register.  she was listed as the daughter of George Pentland a farmer.  Witnesses John Warnock and William Cole.
Married by C. Crossle.

Thomas Pentledon, bachelor, full age, from Derrykeevan, laborer, son of George, a farmer, married Deborah Simonton, spinster, a minor from Derrylard, daughter of Thomas, a farmer on 12 jun 1857 at the Milltown COI.  Married by C. Graham.  Witnesses were David Bell and William Boyce. 

We have not found a marriage record for Margaret, born in 1835

George Pentland, b. 1840, we accept that the death record for 1860 applies to him.

There is a possibility that Elizabeth Pentland, who married John McDermott, on 29 jan 1872 belongs to the same family, but I think that was an error.  I no longer think she belongs to that family, but I am not sure which George Pentland from Ballyworkan would be her father.
Elizabeth Pentland, d/o George Pentland, of Ballyworkan,a weaver, married John McDermott, bachelor, full age, weaver of Drumnakelly .  Witnesses were John Gilmer and Martha McCabe, married M.A. Holden.

William John Warnock, who married Jane is the renter of the duplex in Derrykeevan, as he was renting from his mother in law.
Jane Pentland (wife of George) died on 37 jul 1877, Derrykeevan.  The Warnocks stayed in Ireland until 1890, when they emigrated to Manchester, Connecticut and joined the rest of their children.  Most of their kids had moved there to work in the Cheney Brothers silk mills.

They sailed on the ship Anchoria, which landed in New York on 7 May 1890, after sailing from Moville, Ireland and Glasgow, Scotland.  They sailed with their youngest children, William Warnock, age 23 and Elizabeth Warnock, age 16.

There is another record for the same  family listing the ship as the State of George, departing from Londonderry to New York, on 26 apr 1890, with 45 passengers.  Not sure which is correct.

You had mentioned an Isaac Pentland being born to this couple in 1831.  Could you share that birth info?

Best,
Roxanna

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Roxanne,

I love the way these boards fall silent for years and then suddenly resume. Between the post to which you responded and now I have done very little research, life has been getting in the way! Without delving too deeply, which I cannot do presently, all I can tell you is that the information about Isaac has no primary source but came from an entry on One Great Family Tree. I have quite a number of such entries for which I make no claim as to accuracy but without access to the original research or evidence that the entry cannot be correct I'm prepared to leave it where it is.

What I will say is that it probably indicates a Canadian Pentland family hitting the usual problem of tracing forebears back to Ireland. There is likely information out there on an Isaac Pentland who died in Canada in 1930 when the claimed age would have been highly unusual. This could indicate the connection is highly fanciful or it could indicate that the family had good evidence of it, I can't tell.

Delighted to see you are still active and completely understand your concern. I proved irrefutably  same years ago that a lady in Wales had incorrectly chosen my great-grandfather as hers but she still clings to the belief, most frustrating.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Roxanne,

I love the way these boards fall silent for years and then suddenly resume. Between the post to which you responded and now I have done very little research, life has been getting in the way! Without delving too deeply, which I cannot do presently, all I can tell you is that the information about Isaac has no primary source but came from an entry on One Great Family Tree. I have quite a number of such entries for which I make no claim as to accuracy but without access to the original research or evidence that the entry cannot be correct I'm prepared to leave it where it is.

What I will say is that it probably indicates a Canadian Pentland family hitting the usual problem of tracing forebears back to Ireland. There is likely information out there on an Isaac Pentland who died in Canada in 1930 when the claimed age would have been highly unusual. This could indicate the connection is highly fanciful or it could indicate that the family had good evidence of it, I can't tell.

Delighted to see you are still active and completely understand your concern. I proved irrefutably  same years ago that a lady in Wales had incorrectly chosen my great-grandfather as hers but she still clings to the belief, most frustrating.

Yes, it is nice to see the boards are active.  I did get a notice of your response which is helpful. 

I was looking at some notes I have.

Elizabeth Pentland, born about 1849 married John McDermott on 29 Jan 1872 at Portadown.  She was the daughter of George Pentland from Ballyworkan.

In my notes, I have a George Penelton, from Ballyworkan who married Elizabeth Brownlee on 17 mar 1843 at Portadown COI.  Witnesses were George Brownlee and Rob.  It seems likely to me that this couple would be the parents of the Elizabeth Pentland who married John McDermott.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
There are burial records available for Tartaraghan which should tell you how old the George Pendleton who died in 1860 was.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
The Isaac who died in 1930 in Canada seems to be the son of Thomas George Pentland and Deborah Ann Symington according to an online tree, born 1 March 1858, died in Saskatchewan.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
The Isaac who died in 1930 in Canada seems to be the son of Thomas George Pentland and Deborah Ann Symington according to an online tree, born 1 March 1858, died in Saskatchewan.

Yes, he was their first born son.  He was born in Ireland, before they emigrated.  He lived in Ontario, then Michigan, before going west to Senlac, SK).

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Great, another wrinkle ironed out and another clue to the wanderings of the Pentlands, I haven't seen Sentac SK mentioned before! My master tree is amended and the online will be in due course.