Author Topic: *Teaser* - What % of Scottish/Irish/English blood do I have ?  (Read 7582 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Teaser* - What % of Scottish/Irish/English blood do I have ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
I donīt get where the sixths come into it. Wouldnīt shares of ancestors go in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
You can either count the place where various people were born in which case you are 100% the country where you were born, or you can count the blood lines of the various ancestors as far back as you can go.  In the latter case the 50% 25% 25% answer is an approximation back to your grandparents.  You cannot mix the two and come to a sensible answer.

Expressed as a vulgar fraction instead of a percentage the denominator will always be a power of two.  (ie half quarter, eigths etc) You should never get answers that involve sixths etc which can only occur from mixing up two methods of measurement, or by not giving each line the same prominence.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
I donīt get where the sixths come into it. Wouldnīt shares of ancestors go in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc?

The reason for the "6ths" is there are 6 people who I am running my statistics on. My 2 parent's & my grandparent's which should filter into my blood % as I have shown. I am merely going by where each of them were born as the whole thing could go on forever.

There are no prizes here, merely a bit of fun trying to work it out without going back to Adam & Eve or Mary & Joseph.

Lighten up folks..............Hence the reason for posting on "The Lighter Side"  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
You can either count the place where various people were born in which case you are 100% the country where you were born, or you can count the blood lines of the various ancestors as far back as you can go.  In the latter case the 50% 25% 25% answer is an approximation back to your grandparents.  You cannot mix the two and come to a sensible answer.

Expressed as a vulgar fraction instead of a percentage the denominator will always be a power of two.  (ie half quarter, eigths etc) You should never get answers that involve sixths etc which can only occur from mixing up two methods of measurement, or by not giving each line the same prominence.

I agree with this if it was a totally serious statistic I was looking for. I wanted to use each of my grandparent's as part of my natural & direct bloodline or I would still be sitting here without an answer so I'm happy for now with what I've come up with  ;D  ::)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
Annie, I have the greatest admiration for you!  I think you are extremely clever! But I'm not, and
I have decided that I am a Kiwikid of total  ;D ;D British Ancestry! And proud to be!

Jeanne

Well thank you Jeanne but the fact is I really don't know how you would seriously work it out so I'm sticking with the confines of my 6 closest ancestors & enjoying reading replies too as I know it would be a complicated affair.

"DNA" -  I'm not that serious that I'm going to go to they lengths  ;D

Annie

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
It is the 6 concept that I am struggling with. What are your 6 closest ancestors?

You have 2 parents which give you halves, 4 grandparents which give you quarters and 8 great grandparents that give you eighths. You cannot (either mathematically or genetically) treat your parents and grandparents as being on the same level.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
It is the 6 concept that I am struggling with. What are your 6 closest ancestors?

You have 2 parents which give you halves, 4 grandparents which give you quarters and 8 great grandparents that give you eighths. You cannot (either mathematically or genetically) treat your parents and grandparents as being on the same level.

Craclyn,

Your are right but the thing is, I'm not going into the depths as I said. It is far too complicated & simply a bit of fun which came into my daft head at the time.

I was only looking for a rough % of Scottish blood out of curiosity but if you would like to work out for me in depth I can give you the info. you need.

The 6 (my parent's & grandparent's) - as I said already is based on where they were born (which adds up to 6 locations) rather than complicate things or I would still be here on my death bed waiting for a true answer  :-)

Annie

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
My point is that you cannot count your parents together with your grandparents. You should just use your four grandparents which takes you back to the answer Barbara H gave you in an early reply.

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

- What % of Scottish/Irish/English blood do you have ?
  Correct answer: 50 / 25 / 25 %  8)
  (The figures may change with the overnext generation.)

- Statistics by birthplace: 3/6, 2/6, 1/6 or 4/7, 2/7, 1/7 (with yourself)
-- or 8/12, 3/12, 1/12 (with yourself & stress on the nearer generations
-- ...  ;)

- Statistics by feeling to be at home ...
  You wrote: "Mother - 100% Irish (born there)" Is that correct?   ???
  It might be that your maternal granny, died just after the birth and your mother was raised with
  Guinness and Irish whiskey instead of English mothermilk
...  :P :P ;D
  Or is your mother 50% or 66 % English by feeling? - A start for new and detailed calculations.  ;D

Best regards Rudolf

NB1: There is only one rule: To believe only the statistics, which you have falsificated by yourself!  8)

NB2: My own calculation: 50% Anhalt / 25% Palatinate = European / 12,5% Pomeranian /
        6,2% Prussian (with 0,8 % from Austria?) / 6,2% Zeeland & Holland.
        The percentage by religion is different in each generation of my ancestors!
        (Reformed / Calvinist / Remonstrant/ Lutheran / Catholic / Mennonite & Jewish) 
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies