Author Topic: Nethersole House :  (Read 7722 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nethersole House :
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Bugger the page has gone!!
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Glad to help - good luck.
Royal Horse Artillery (in my case 1st Regiment)
MaxD

Wow !   I'm Pipes and Drums Scots Guards ! (2nd Bn.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnLz6mVUk4

"Bugger the page has gone!!"   Lol !   No problem..., I've got your URL.   Lol !   ;)
Thanks everyone..., Iain.

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All ! 

Firstly, I would like to thank you for the good advice, especially contacting the Charing and District History Society.
Absolutely amazing !

I prefer not to make public their names, but two ladies from the Society sent me heaps of info plus photos concerning the building.
Extremely kind and very professional !

I received the following : 

Dear Iain,

Nethersole House definitely existed and indeed still exists in Charing although it is no longer called that. It was not a stately home though, but a building in the village on the corner of the High Street and the entrance to the Market Place. Probably originally built in the 15th century but much altered since then. At one time it was owned by the Parish and used as a workhouse for the poor but when your great x3 grandfather was there it was in private ownership (although we don't know who) and divided into several small dwellings which were rented out.

My colleague, who is very knowledgeable on the subject of old houses and Charing's history in general, has checked through the society's archives and written you the attached note which includes a plan and a couple of old photographs.

Today much of the ground floor is used as a butcher's shop, fronting onto the High Street, and not looking very different on the outside to the shop in the first of the two photographs (the whitish building, first on the right hand side). The sections behind and above are private dwellings, N° 1 and 2 Market Place.  They are still timber-framed and not that dissimilar to the second photo although the house behind, no 3, is now set back from the road.

No. 2 Market Place was up for sale last year and you can still see details of it at
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/2-market-place/charing/ashford/tn27-0lr/30350575

I hope this helps!   Best wishes

Attached:  Next post... (Max 5500 characters)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
Nethersole House

The early history of Nethersole House is uncertain, but work done by Mary Garrard in a diploma thesis sometime in the 1970s uncovered the information below. She carefully researched the 18th and 19th century church vestry minute books for evidence of how Charing dealt with its poor between 1700 and 1834 when the Poor Law was amended.

In the 18th century the parish acquired several buildings to house the poor, one of which was known as ‘the town workhouse’, although nothing is known about its location until the early 19th century.

In July 1823 it was revealed that there were discussions as to whether to sell ‘Nethersole House and the workhouse’, since the parish was still £400 in debt from their acquisition. The idea was rejected as they decided to try and pay off the debt through the poor rate. Both the workhouse and Nethersole House were retained until 1839 when, as a consequence the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 and the building of a Union Workhouse in Hothfield, it was decided to sell them. This is recorded in the vestry minutes of April 1839 when the buildings are described as:

‘A freehold tenement called Nethersole House heretofore used as a workhouse and the cottage, yard, garden and premises to the same adjoining and belonging with the appertained situated in the town of Charing … and also another tenement erected in or about the year 1799 as part of the yard, and premises belonging to and lying behind the first-mentioned tenement (and also lately used as a workhouse).’

Mary Garrard concluded that the last mentioned building was the original workhouse, Nethersole House was acquired later, and the cottage or tenement between was built in 1799.

In June 1839 the buildings were auctioned in two lots, the description firmly identifying their location:

‘Lot 1. A substantially built messuage or tenement called the Nethersole House, heretofore used as a workhouse, with the cottage thereunto belonging and the yard lying behind and adjoining the said messuage with their appurtenances, fronting towards the High Street and also towards the street leading to the church, and desirably situated for trade in the town of Charing, and now in the several occupations of Ann Chapman, widow, Thomas Reeves, George Matthews, Richard Jacob and Stephen Anderson.’

‘Lot 2. A substantially built messuage or tenement (heretofore also used as a workhouse) adjoining to and lying behind Lot 1, with the yard and other appurtenances (except the building now used as an engine house….) situate in or near the market place in Charing and at present unoccupied…’ The purchaser was to brick up the present doorway between the two lots.

That Nethersole House was on the corner of the High Street and Market Place firmly fixes the position, and the attached plan by Mary Garrard shows how she thought the two were arranged.

Although now largely of brick, Nethersole House was originally timber-framed, some of the timbers still visible outside, and probably dates back to the 15th century. This is common in Charing, and the building is one of several late-medieval timber buildings lining the High Street. The workhouse is also brick on the exterior, but the interior reveals a fine 16th-century building, which was also probably timber framed, later clad in brick. There was a family called Nethersole in Charing. We don’t know much about them, but they were clearly of some standing as in the 17th century one daughter married Sir Edward Dering of Pluckley. Probably the family died out and the property was sold, but no one has done the research to prove this. Whether the parish bought Nethersole House at that time or later is not at present known.

Most of the occupants of Nethersole House in 1839 were still there in 1841, and some in 1851. So it looks as though whoever bought the property retained the division into several small dwellings, probably letting the ground floor facing the High Street as a shop. This is certainly the case in the early 20th century when the whole was owned by the Langley family, who lived elsewhere in Charing, and occupied by a number of tenants, with a shop on the High Street occupied by a corn merchant.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

Don't know if you are still pursuing Nethersole House, but Google has brought me here whilst researching the Nethersole family in Kent.

They had a property called Nethersole House at Womensworld/Barham which you have already mentioned: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol9/pp262-266

There was also a branch of the family living at Charing who probably connect, although I have yet to find the link. I have a William Nethersole, gent. who was born circa 1679 and was buried at Charing 19/2/1731. He married in 1694 at Charing, Philadelphia Dering (daughter of Christopher Dering of Wickins, descended from the Surrenden family). They had:

1/ John Nethersole, b.c.1696 or c.1716 and died 1749 and buried at Charing
2/ Elizabeth Nethersole, baptised 1705 at Charing
3/ Edward Nethersole, baptised 1707 at Charing
4/ George Nethersole, baptised 1711 at Charing
5/ Heneage Nethersole, baptised 1716 at Charing and buried 1716 at Charing
6/ Mary Nethersole (uncertain is she was actually their daughter, or someone else's) who married 1735 at Charing to John Burges

Now next I have to jump to 1722 when William Nethersole married Frances Peirce at St. Margaret's, Canterbury. William was supposed to be of Charing and was a Lieutenant in the Marines. They had:

1/ Frances (d.1772) who married Rev. Andrew Portal, MA, Vicar of St. Helen's, Abingdon
2/ Elizabeth (bapt.1723 at Faversham, d.1758) who married 1748 at St. George's Chapel, Mayfair, Abraham Portal (brother of Rev. Andrew, above), who was of Ludgate Hill, London and was a goldsmith and author. After her death he remarried.
3/ William Nethersole, gent. (bapt.1730 at Faversham) - he was a wax & tallow chandler in The Strand in 1758. He married Mary Magdalen Portal (sister of Rev. Andrew and of Abraham Portal, as above). They had 4 sons and 3 daughters and may well have Nethersole descendants still living today.
4/ Thomas Nethersole (bapt.1725 at Faversham, died 1787) - he was a grocer in Soho
5/ Richard Nethersole (d.c.1774) - he was also a grocer, probably in business with his brother, Thomas. He married 1768 Sarah Hart and they had a son and 3 daughters
6/ Susanna who married 1767 John Edkins of Hampstead and late of St. Giles-in-the-Fields, grocer and had a son and daughter

I can add a little to the genealogy here, but I hope I am showing firstly that there were at least two houses in Kent called Nethersole House and secondly that a family of that name were certainly responsible for one of them (at Womenswold), and quite probably for the second (at Charing) and were quite likely related to one another.

Anyway I hope the above proves of interest and if anyone else out there is looking at the name of Nethersole then I would encourage them to post here.

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 June 19 07:04 BST (UK) »
Good morning Caspar, and thank you.

Lol…, this was started about 5 years ago and I had since lost sight of it.
Thank you for the information, I will certainly add it all to the family page. 

Have a nice day…, Iain. 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Nethersole

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 April 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, just came across this post - it may not now be relevant but Nethersole House in Dover Street Canterbury was named about 12 years ago by my brother who lived there.  It was in homage to our mother whose maiden name was Nethersole and who had recently died.  It has no relevance to the Nethersole House in Womenswold nor any building(s) in Charing.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 April 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nethersole...  A very appropriate name.   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree