Author Topic: William Heale  (Read 1548 times)

Offline JudithMcCaskillHarris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Heale
« on: Monday 21 July 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
William Heale was born in Moretonhampstead in 1849 and died in Newton Abbott in 1896.  He was married to Sophia Bowden, they had a daughter Helena Heale.  They appear in census and birth and marriages in ancestry.ca.  I am looking for the death of William as there is no record of his dying.  From what we know he died in a horse riding accident.  Sophia and Helena appear in census in 1901 without him.  Helena Heale was my husband's step Grandmother marrying into the Day Family of Hertfordshire, England
William and Sophia met working in a large manor house and appear in the census in 1871, the home being at 254 Hendongate (spl) or was Hendongate the name of the house.  It was owned by the Jannise Family, namely Samuel Clarke.  There are a lot of "Heales" in this area at the time.  J.D. Harris

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Heale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
A William Heale aged 46 died in Newton Abbot Registration District Q/E December 1896. Might that be him?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Must be him, how do I get a written copy of this?  Numerous people following the Heale Tree have mentioned December 1896.  Thanks so much.  JD Harris

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
You would need to send for the death certificate.

If you haven't done this before -- one way is to apply on line from the General Register Office at Southport.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/

You will need to register -- but you only do this on the first occasion you are ordering on line.
Go to the 'order certificates on line' section part way down the page.

The cost is £9.25 per certificate.
The details you need are;
Name of deceased --- William Heale
Year of death------ 1896
Registration District ---- Newton Abbot
Quarter End---- December
Volume number----- 5b
Page number ---- 96

You can find all thiese details on the Civil Registration Index of Deaths 1837-1915 on Ancestry or Find My Past.

The certificate should arrive within about a week.
Places of interest;

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  I believe it is cheaper to go through the UK to get the certificate as it costs me $37.00 for 1 through ancestry.ca I will keep this reference and use it all the time for information I need.  Many Thanks from Gloucester, Ontario, Canada

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith -- I hadn't realised you were in Canada.

Yes -- the subscription sites do have a certificate ordering service -- but my goodness, don't they charge for it! Never be tempted be these -- although when you don't know the arrangements for a different country - it's the 'easy' option.

The General Register Office in Southport is the direct point for ordering certificates for England and Wales.
Scotland and Ireland have separate arrangements.

I am not sure whether postage will be higher for you though, and may therefore increase the £9.25 fee (which includes postage for UK requests).
Places of interest;

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
I ordered it yesterday after our chat, thanks, easier than ancestry.ca also and hopefully cheaper.  Didn't say anything about extra postage to Canada, so will see.   Thanks again

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
There is no extra charge for postage to Canada.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Finally, William's death was on the ancestry.uk site but not on ancestry.ca.  Everything else about him and his family is posted, the death and 1851 census was missing.  I will now zone in on the UK site as my family has Scottish and British connections only.  My access is worldwide so didn't have a problem accessing the UK site.   *Nice to know no extra postage to Canada.  Thanks