Author Topic: Sewri Cemetery . India Malet  (Read 2918 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sewri Cemetery . India Malet
« on: Friday 25 July 14 07:08 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to find a list of English folk buried  in this graveyard 1862-90. I am looking for an Isabella MILNER Malet wife of Richard Grenville Malet  They married in Plimlico in 1861 ,both aged 21 ,and I have nothing of them after  . There is a grave for an Isabella MABEL Malet of approximate age but No one has been able to see the epitaph .
Can some one point me in right direction whether it be travel records to confirm they did go to India . Richard was an Anglo Indian from the North of India I believe.  TY.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Sewri Cemetery . India Malet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You might find some help here; it is a great site for Indian records:

http://www.fibis.org/

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions and images for this cemetery can be found at FindMyPast.

Isabella Mabel Malet died of Cholera aged 36 and was buried 3 Aug 1875

Richard was born 4 June 1840 and baptised at Deesa (Bombay Presidency) 15 November 1841 son of George Grenville Malet & a Native Woman. George was a Captain 3rd Regiment Light Cavalry. Richard was illegitimate as his father goes onto marry in 1851.

In George's will of 1857 he also mentions other 'natural' or illegitmate children as well as other family members.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you for the replies This Isabella Mabel Malet may be mine(Isabella MILNER Malet )with a mistranscription of the middle name . It seems highly likely as the ages are almost exact with my Isabella being born the same year. I have contact with the Malet family and they have references to diaries which have a lot on Richard Grenville (Uncle Dickie ) but they also have lost contact after the marriage. The one thing that has been told to me tho is they do not recall having an Isabella MABEL Malet in the family. This was why I was hoping to find the transcript of the headstone which I am hoping will boldly say "" The wife of RICHARD '''  I will look at the sites suggested . Thank you. Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 July 14 10:02 BST (UK) »
Do you know a headstone exists are are you just hoping one does?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 July 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
hi No I don t know if a headstone exists as the cemetery is in disrepair . I am not sure  who found  the death for me but it was some years ago and I am sure it was a rootschatter. it seems there must be some information or list somewhere I just need to be pointed in right direction . Thanks Fred

Offline Valmay Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
The cemetery office still hold the registers and will do look-ups. I have the email address of the admin and will send it do you as a personal message as I don't like putting other people email addresses online.
India: COLLETT, DUNCAN, HOLDWAY, HACKNEY, HYKOOP, HOGSFLESH, KUHLMEY, NORMAN, ROBERTSON, WARDLEY, WHEELER
England: BECKWITH, GASCOYNE, HINMAN, MCCARTHY, WARDLEY, WOOLF

Offline Diane Klaassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello;
I am lucky enough to be headed to Mumbai in January and was wondering if anyone (Valmay Young ?) would be able to give me the e-mail address of the Sewri Cemetery?  I know my rellie is buried there so would like to know where to start to look in the cemetery.
Thanks for any help.