Author Topic: Thomas Phillips lookup request  (Read 1869 times)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Phillips lookup request
« on: Friday 25 July 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am struggling to find my ancestor Thomas Phillips. Based on 1881 census he was born about 1811 in Cheltenham, but I can't seem to find anything in the Parish records. I have also checked the Cheltenham website too. He was married in 1839 (I have the certificate) and that shows his father was John. John Phillips was a Diamond cutter, but not sure if he is from the Cheltenham area. (My family doesn't seem to want to stay in one place!!)

Thanks in advance
Melanie
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Phillips lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Just a possible Christening;
Thomas PHILLIPS, 17 March 1811, Leigh, Gloucestershire
Parents JOHN/ANN
2 Siblings Christened same day SARAH/MARY
(Source Familysearch.Org)

There is also a ELIZABETH Christened 6 Jan 1805 Leigh to JOHN/ELIZTH
Maybe a 1st Wife for this John

Trish :)

LEIGH, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn and the Comb canal, 4½ miles SSW of Tewkesbury r. station, and 5½ NW by W of CHELTENHAM. It contains the hamlet of Evington; and its posttown is Cheltenham. Acres, 1,720. Rated property, £3,201. Pop., 428. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the dean and chapter of Westminster. Leigh Villa is the seat of W. Hill, Esq., and commands a fine view. Much of the land is subject to frequent inundations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, small cross aisle, and chancel, with an embattled tower; and is good. There are a national school, and charities about £40
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Just a possible Christening;
Thomas PHILLIPS, 17 March 1811, Leigh, Gloucestershire
Parents JOHN/ANN
2 Siblings Christened same day SARAH/MARY
(Source Familysearch.Org)

There is also a ELIZABETH Christened 6 Jan 1805 Leigh to JOHN/ELIZTH
Maybe a 1st Wife for this John

Trish :)

LEIGH, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn and the Comb canal, 4½ miles SSW of Tewkesbury r. station, and 5½ NW by W of CHELTENHAM. It contains the hamlet of Evington; and its posttown is Cheltenham. Acres, 1,720. Rated property, £3,201. Pop., 428. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the dean and chapter of Westminster. Leigh Villa is the seat of W. Hill, Esq., and commands a fine view. Much of the land is subject to frequent inundations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, small cross aisle, and chancel, with an embattled tower; and is good. There are a national school, and charities about £40

Thanks so much for that. This looks likely. Hopefully I can now find his parents in the census to confirm this. Is there any other way to be certain?

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 15 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Found him. Trawled through the Gloucestershire records on Ancestry and he and his brother were baptised in Cheltenham. Parents are John and Catherine. Now to find his parents.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didnt reply earlier but didnt get notification email for some reason.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)