Author Topic: John and Margaret Doyle  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Tanya_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Margaret Doyle
« on: Saturday 26 July 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
 I'm still doing research on my Doyle ancestors, John and Margaret, whose great-grandson is my great-grandfather, Thomas Edward Lewis Kemp, since he himself had some Irish heritage and was raised as a Catholic. I found out, although I'm still trying to verify, that the Doyles and the Gormans lived or grew up in County Offaly, which was originally known as King's County, in Ireland, according to the Irish census of 1821.  John and his older brother, Patrick, lived in Birr, King's County, whereas Margaret Doyle, born Margaret Gorman, in 1801, grew up in Lettertuna, Sisken, King's County, Ireland. I could be wrong, though.  John Doyle, Sr. died in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland, whereas Bridget died in Shillelagh, County Wicklow, Ireland, thirteen years apart.

Offline Tanya_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John and Margaret Doyle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
I'm still doing research on my Doyle ancestors, John and Margaret, whose great-grandson is my great-grandfather, Thomas Edward Lewis Kemp, since he himself had some Irish heritage and was raised as a Catholic. I found out, although I'm still trying to verify, that the Doyles and the Gormans lived or grew up in County Offaly, which was originally known as King's County, in Ireland, according to the Irish census of 1821.  John and his older brother, Patrick, lived in Birr, King's County, whereas Margaret Doyle, born Margaret Gorman, in 1801, might have lived in Letterluna, Sisken, King's County, Ireland. I could be wrong, though.  John Doyle, Sr. died in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland, whereas Bridget died in Shillelagh, County Wicklow, Ireland, thirteen years apart.

Offline orlamulligan

• RootsChat Extra
  • All things Offaly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
not sure if what question you are asking?
there is a margaret gorman in 1821 census

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/King_s/Letterluna/Seskin/1/

Offline Tanya_K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
I'm not asking a question, actually, but I'm thinking Margaret Doyle's maiden name was Gorman, not Nolan. Is it possible that the Doyles weren't born in Wicklow, Wexford, or Carlow? Margaret Doyle, born Margaret Gorman in 1801, might have been born in King's County and raised there.