Author Topic: BALLINA: NEARY, Patrick James, b.1860, Married Honoria BEIRNE  (Read 1688 times)

Offline T1Burbank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BALLINA: NEARY, Patrick James, b.1860, Married Honoria BEIRNE
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 04:02 BST (UK) »
Searching for family information regarding a PATRICK JAMES NEARY, b. circa 1860 in County Mayo. Patrick is my Great Great Grandfather and married Honoria (Norah) Beirne (daughter of Michael BEIRNE and Jane (HOPE) BEIRNE, shop owners in BALLINA, where Patrick originally worked as shop clerk around 1875). Patrick may have been born in or around Ballina.

Shortly after their marriage they moved to Scotland where Patrick worked for Sir Thomas Lipton (Lipton Tea), then London, then Victoria, BC, Canada all the while working for Lipton until Patrick's retirement. They had 12 children (born in Scotland and London). Honoria died in Victoria, BC in 1926. Patrick James died in California circa 1942. Patrick's son's names were BRIAN FRANCIS Neary, MICHAEL JOHN Neary, WILLIAM CHARLES OSMOND Neary, and possibly a PATRICK Neary (nickname "TJ"?). A few of the last names of Patrick's daughters after marriage: (COLEMAN (from Victoria, BC), MELLAN (from ?), and QUINN (California, USA)).

Sadly, I have not been able to locate information on Patrick's parents or his siblings.  Any information, direction, or help with locating Patrick's family would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TB

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BALLINA: NEARY, Patrick James, b.1860, Married Honoria BEIRNE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hiya TB and welcome to Rootschat ...could you post the names of Patricks eldest son and eldest daughter please .....sometimes the first born were named after their Grandfather / grandmother ...
we know that Honorias parents were
Michael and Jane - so - were the eldest boy / eldest girl named Michael and Jane ?...if not - they may have been named after Patricks parents ?
all I could find in County Mayo were
Patrick Neary born 11th march 1865 Kiltamagh ,Mayo - parents John Neary / Mary O'Brien
Patrick Nary b 20th july 1864 Swineford,Mayo - parents Anthony Nary / Winifred McManus

www.familysearch.org
Patrick James Neary
Ireland
Mayo
birth
1855-1865
they were the only 2 results to show ...so if Patricks eldest son was named John or Anthony / eldest daughter was named Mary or Winifred - it may point to one of the above Patrick Neary b Mayo around 1860 .... :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline T1Burbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hiya Garstonite!

We seem to be in a pickle here. Michael John and Jane Winnifred!

Oldest son was Michael John, born in Aberdeen, Scotland circa 1886 and died in 1918 in the Gulf Islands of BC, Canada along with the crew of the HMCS Galiano, which went down during a violent storm. Oldest daughter was Jane Winnifred (Neary) Quinn. Jane was also born in Aberdeen in 1887.

Great detective work there! Thank you for your help, and I will research through both those families to see if anything turns up! Will also see what comes up for other siblings names.

Oddly enough, I don't see the name of any "Anthony" referenced in any of Patrick's children, but the name Winnifred may be the giveaway here.

Thanks again

TB

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
I agree TB...Winifred is far less common than John ....I am not saying that Anthony / Winifred ARE the parents - but I would try and research that couple a bit more ...the eldest daughter JANE WINIFRED Neary would suggest to me she was named after both grandmothers - Jane( Hope )Beirne and Winifred (McManus ) Neary ...the trouble is proving it ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline T1Burbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, PROVING it!

It appears that Winifred is a Beirne (Byrne) name also... :(  so will keep plugging away at it.

There were also a ton of Neary (& Quinn) families in London around the same locale in the census, all with the same/similar combinations of family first names. Pretty sure there are cousins in there, but I'll be darned if I can make heads or tails of it. There are also quite a few Nearys in Victoria, BC. all born around the same time as Patrick James and Honoria, but whether they are siblings or cousins remains to be discovered...

It's quite possible that Patrick found employment for family members within the Lipton organization in London, then again in Victoria...so, it's back to the drawing board!

TB

Offline T1Burbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Found it!

parents were :Thomas Nary (Neary) and Sarah (Sally) Lynch. Shragaddy, Parish Kiltane..now to discover their roots!

Thanks again for your assistance!

TB