Author Topic: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s  (Read 13868 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for adding the photo. Always help to make things more personal, rather than the written word of dates, places and names.

How lucky you have your cousin to research with  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kathryn Farrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 October 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey28
I worked at the County Hospital in Peebles in the 80's and helped move to Hay Lodge Hospital.
One of the things I insisted we take were the old ledgers of admissions, discharges and deaths, when it operated as a fever hospital.
They were in my office (Ward Sister) on ward 1 until 1992 but have no idea what happened to them since.
I was absolutely fascinated by these huge leather bound, hand written records at the time and remember two of them. It may be worth a call to the hospital to see if they are still there.
Good luck and best wishes,
Kate Farrow (formerly Dowds)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 October 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

Thanks for that - it would be an interesting treasure - I'll see what I can find.   I suppose that maybe the problem will be getting them to release information.   Wee George obviously did not have any descendants and his siblings are all dead now.  I suppose I might be the closest thing to a next of kin - so I'll go down that route.

They sound a bit like a book of doom - but hopefully they are still in storage somewhere.

Thanks lots

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada