Author Topic: Island of St Helena:PURLE family  (Read 1644 times)

Offline crabby43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Island of St Helena:PURLE family
« on: Monday 28 July 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Josiah Thomas PURLE who was born on St Helena in about 1853. He married Annie  WHITCHER from Southampton, in Southampton 1876 and died in West Ham in 1918. 
His father was William John PURLE born about 1820, who I believed married Caroline EDDLESTONE in 1852 on St Helena.  I also believe she was born on St Helena in 1834 and her parents were Caroline and James Isache EDDLESTONE (or similar spelling) and she died in Cardiff in 1910.
There was also a sister to Josiah, Elizabeth born in 1863 in James Town, St Helena, who married a Henry E.G. Rahn and died in Corwall in 1934.  They had a son Henry in Colchester about 1884.
I have the UK 1881 census ( Josiah is not on it, I assume he was at sea), 1891 1901 1911 census for Annie and Josiah and also their marriage cert.
I would very much like to know more about the family on St Helena and when and how family members came to the UK.  I assume Josiah came to England on a ship to Southampton (He was a ships steward on the 1891 census). And if the PURLE and/or EDDLESTONE family originated in the UK. Does anyone have any relevant info, or can direct me to how I can find out more.
Thanks crabby43

Offline Valmay Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Island of St Helena:PURLE family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello there!

The Families in British India Society wiki has a page on St Helena listing information and resources you might find useful. http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/St._Helena

Hope it helps.  :)
India: COLLETT, DUNCAN, HOLDWAY, HACKNEY, HYKOOP, HOGSFLESH, KUHLMEY, NORMAN, ROBERTSON, WARDLEY, WHEELER
England: BECKWITH, GASCOYNE, HINMAN, MCCARTHY, WARDLEY, WOOLF

Offline crabby43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the link. I will give it a try .   :D

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have this but there's a J Purle on the crew list of the Malwa in 1882: -

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1882/06/064mal.htm
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline crabby43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
I had seen this but didn't think it was relevant as Josaih, born in St Helena, had married and lived in Southampton and then moved to West Ham, London. I have the family on the 1881 UK census in West Ham, but not him. But the name, place of birth and his age all fit the J Purle on The Malwa, and I know he was a seaman so I guess it must be him.
Many thanks  :)

Offline manchestergirl1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Crabby43,
I've just gone on Rootschat.Com to look for our relative in common - Josiah Thomas PURLE. Thank you for the information you provided, and to the others who provided helpful information also. This has given me more info than I had - brilliant, thank you! Its 4 years on now, but it would be lovely to get in touch and compare progress in our family searches. Hoping to make contact with you. Very best wishes, Manchestergirl1952

Offline crabby43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,it’s a long time since I’ve been on this site so I was delighted to hear from you. How is Josiah  Purle related to you? I’m not sure how much more info I have.  I’ll have to check my file and get back to you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Crabby43

Offline manchestergirl1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm so surprised to receive a reply - and so quick! Brilliant - and lovely to hear from you! I'm related by marriage so I have the surname but not the direct family line. My father in law was Victor Osman Purle, grandson of Josiah Thomas. Perhaps you are a descendant of Victor's brother Ernest Josiah? I'm looking into the Purle ancestry for my two sons and four grandchildren who are direct descendants. I've only recently started on this search, and yesterday discovered Josiah Thomas and his being born in St Helena. I wasn't aware of his parents names until I saw your post. Like you I'd like to find out the family movements bringing them back to England, but also where the Purle and Egglestone family originated from before living in St Helena. Can I ask where you found Josiah Thomas's birth details please - so far I haven't managed to find these. Thank you - and best wishes.

Offline crabby43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m not sure how much you have uncovered. I have a family tree on Ancestry  called Crabb which you should be able to access if you are a member. Having said that a lot of my research is on paper and it takes time to add it to the tree. Let me know if you can access it. Josiah T had 5 children but only 2 survived Josiah Benjamin and Annie Sarah who was my grandmother. So your husbands grand father must have been Josiah B who married Olive Prentice. I believe that makes your husband and myself second cousins. I have used various websites over the years. I deduced Josiah T approximate date of birth from a census and his father from his marriage certificate. Not sure where I got his father’s marriage from I’ll have to check. I’ll get back to you when I have more time. Best wishes