Author Topic: Software to create charts of selected people?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
Software to create charts of selected people?
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would like to create a chart showing selected people from an extended family.  Not a pedigree or descendant chart for one line/branch.  Does any genealogy software package allow users to tag individuals and chart only them?

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Software to create charts of selected people?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 August 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
With Family Historian you can chart any selected people, assuming you have a method of identifying the people you want to include you can make a standard chart and then Mark the boxes you don't want either manually or using a query and then hide the boxes, the only limitation is if you hide both parents any children will be hidden, but you can add an additional diagram to your chart to handle this.
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 August 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Family Tree Maker 2012 lets you do this.  The instruction manual is HUGE and I tend to avoid it as I hate reading such things (preferring trial and improvement methods  ::)) and you can do all sorts of charts exactly how you want them.  Last week I did one for my Mum's cousin's paternal line which just had the males and their spouses (with BMD details) - I was also able to put little text boxes on it to add notes which were answering questions the recipient had about each generation.

FTM12 is amazing  8)

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for the suggestions.  I'll take a look at both.