Author Topic: Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp Belgium  (Read 21846 times)

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp Belgium
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Well, I hope that your internet will work properly soon but it is good news isn’t it, now you can be sure that every file, folder, button or program stays where you want it   ;)

a journalier / dagloner normally is a day labourer, a daily hired and paid unskilled worker, just as well it could be a journeyman. On the 1812 census he was a gold beater, his sons were ouvriers ébéniste,  literally worker cabinet makers, they could be apprentice cabinet makers, or not ?  It was a family of craftsman I would think, Simon’s great grandsons in Antwerp were cabinet makers too.

In the 1812 census  http://bruxelles1812.org/
(children under the age of 10 only listed by number and gender with head of the household)
click on the ‘G’
Galmaert Simon, 42 years old, born at Brussels,  husband of Rinsveld Thérèse, gold beater, Rue Terre-Neuve n° 168, section 2
Galmaert Joseph, 16 years old, born at Brussels, (workman-cabinet maker/ebonist ?)                     
Galmaert  Charles, 13 years old, born at Brussels, (workman-cabinet maker/ebonist ?) 
Galmaert Marie, 10 years old, born at Brussels, lacemaker 
click on the ‘R’
Rinsveld Thérèse, 48 years old, born at Brussels, wife of Galmaert Simon
Rinsveld Joseph, 70 years old, born at Brussels, widow, (workman/labourer ?)   could be the father of Therese

Leen

We do say the same  ‘rondlopen als een kip zonder kop’ , we also say kieke(n) instead of kip, but kieken isn’t Standard Dutch, so common speaking it is kip  :)
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp Belgium
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Leen
Thanks for that info. I wonder what a gold beater did. Obviously something to do with gold but would it maybe have been for larger pieces rather than jewellery mmm might try and find that out.

Internet still not quite right. Taking absolutely ages to load :'( and was off for most of this morning. Had to go out at lunchtime but am back online now, for how long who knows, be glad when gas men are all finished.

When I looked on the 1799 census (enlarged) couldn't find the name so went through it all twice..still no name. Ha then I realised that by enlarging it I was only seeing one side and that there was a second page!!! Finally found it.

At the moment I am trying to get all my notes in some semblance of date order as I tend to scribble notes on the nearest piece of paper I can find oops. I have made a list of everybody and just checking to see I have all the birthdates/marr/deaths etc.

Kind Regards Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
PS Leen

It seems that the sons might have worked with ebony wood (ebonists?) from Africa. It's a very dark blackish wood and very hard. I know because I was a secretary at a wood company which made doors!

Kind Regards
Gaynor x

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 24 September 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hello Leen
Yipee I am back online. It wasn't the pipes outside (sorry workmen) it was the router (?) Apparently we have wireless connection so we don't plug in and our router was not sending signal to my laptop!! Anyway got a booster from PC World which I plugged in and now it is running fine (touch wood). Only problem is I am now bald from pulling out my hair :'( in frustration.
Mind you it gave me time to sort out the notes so all in order (?) I hope.

Kind Regards
Vicky

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 12 October 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
 :)Hello Leen

I am back now, was you wondering where I had disappeared to. Just had a quick break in Crete and it was beautiful, warm and only rained for 2 days. Mind you on the last evening the rain brought out the mossies and that was the night I didn't put on any spray so they decided to have a feast. They chose my right leg as their main course so came home with eight! massive bites, now can't stop scratching!! I hope when I come to Belgium in May (yes husband has promised me a trip for my birthday) that you don't have the pesky blighters there, if so I will be sprayed top to toe with insect repellent whether I smell or not!

Well I managed to put some semblance of order with the notes etc and have printed out the certificates. Just going to start translating what I can of them. I noticed that if you stop midway in a sentence it gives a totally different meaning until you add the other words. I have had some funny combinations believe me!

Kind Regards
Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Leen

I hope you have got your woolly vests and boots at the ready. Just heard on the  news that it is snowing in Holland, Germany & Belgium. Seems like  Winter is on it's way ::) Time to get some stew & dumps in the oven methinks!!

Kind Regards
Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Goed Morgen Leen

Hope yur snow has gone away and you are not snowed in! Well I have managed to construct a Danckaert tree and got all the notes in order! Just doing the same for the other side. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to decipher Joannes Baptiste & Clara Van Vaeter's marriage certificate as it is quite faded. Then Microsoft decided to update the coputer and just closed me down evn tho' I told them to remind me in 4 hours, so my word document where I'd copied the translation just vanished :'( I swore a bit but this morning  I noticed it was still on the internet site Google Translate, not that it has done me a lot of good. See my translation below, I don't know about ships in Antwerp tho'  ???

said at the town house in open session immediately in double drawn by my under get eckenden ships of the city of Antwerp pretty ambtenaer delegates from the registrar after the partyeu were read by the act vereischle Instruments betre kkelijken civil registration alsmead helzsede chapter title of marriage of civil selbock and parlyeu the crue ua other verklaerd baddeu mutually fate ectgenoten aen to take and by my the uilsprack

Can I ask for your help once again please otherwise I can see this taking me at least a week  :'( :'(

Kind Regards
Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry Leen I forgot to give you a reference it is Page 207 of 494 1860-61 Marriages Brussels.
Thank you Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 16 October 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Leen I am still trying to translate it but this made me laugh must  share it with you

....ddeu zich wederzijds lot ectgenoten aen te neme en door my de uilsprach was gedaen dat zy in den naem der wet door den echt aen elkanders zyn verbonden DE voorafgaeende

....civil selbock and parlyeu the crue ua other verklaerd baddeu mutually fate ectgenoten aen to take and by my the uilsprach was gedaen that she in the naem of the law, the real aen each other ZYN connected DE-using waste gas

lol lol lol waste gas lol lol  :) :) :) :)

Gaynor x