Author Topic: Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp Belgium  (Read 21852 times)

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium Family History
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 July 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Many of the Belgian records on familysearch are not fully indexed/name searchable.
Here is the direct link for the Antwerp area civil registration:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2138481

Rather than searching click "Browse through 2,978,372 images".  You are looking for "Antwerpen" (for the city) - you may need to check in these record for both French and Dutch spellings of place names. You will also need to learn some of the basic words (these records will be in Dutch, in other areas you will get French), e.g. numbers and for example "Geboorten" = births, "Tienjarige tafels "  = 10 year indexes, but the civil records follow a fairly set format.    There is a list of key words here: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Netherlands_Language_and_Languages

There is a yearly index at the back for each year, and sure enough, Madeline Eugenie Jean Emilie Stephany is listed in "Geboorten 1898" (3664 is the number of her birth record).
This is hopefully a direct link to her birth record:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01960/

There is a "Tienjarige tafels" image set for 1891-1900 which looks to be all marriages. There is only one Stephany marriage in it which is for Madeline's parents.
year 1896 act 1083
Huwelijken 1896 image 274
With luck another direct link:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01961/
Emilius Maria Ferdinandus Stephany (latin form of his name, the "Maria" is not unusual as a baptismal name).  My Dutch is not good (the vast majority of my Belgian lot original from French-speaking areas), but it seems they were both from Antwerp and that brother Emile de la Montagne was a witness to the marriage.

As well as the Huwelijken (marriages) you should check out the Huwelijksbijlagen (marriage supplements) where available. These are records basically of all the documentation the couple supplied to get married - can include extracts of birth records, death records for previous spouses or parents (to establish freedom to marry or who has the right to give consent to marry for a minor), checks that the husband hadn't ducked out of national service, etc.  Emile and Alice's marriage supplements start here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01962/
1) A document from a notary public confirming that Emile's widowed mother, resident in Saint Nicholas, Flandre, consented to the marriage
2)  extract death record for Alice's mother
3)   extract birth record for Alice
4)  extract death record for Emile's father
5) extract birth record for Emile
6) Documentation of Emile's military service (national service).

You should go back and find the originals of the birth/death records as well.  I hope I've given you a start, but I do encourage you to try and familiarise yourself with the record format. They are not too difficult to use and have a lot more information in them than English records!

Censuses/population registers were taken in Belgium but are seldom used for the simple reason that there are few indexes and searching a place like Antwerp by hand just isn't very feasible.

Hi jorose
Thank you for your response and suggestions of where to search, I guess it will be slow at first, but hopefully successful once I get use to the format.
Best Regards Wave Watcher
Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
great find Jorose, especially the marriage supplements

a short translation

birth cert  n° 3664

Madeleine Eugenie Jeanne Emilie STEPHANY  born in Antwerp 13 June 1898 at 18 pm

parents  - Emilius Maria Ferdinandus STEPHANY, employee (bediende, likely clerck), 29 years old, born in Antwerp
             -  Alice Florentina Josephien DE LA MONTAGNE, 28 years old, born in Antwerp

declarant  - father of the child

witnesses  - Franciscus VERBERT, clerck, 29 years old
                -  Julianus VERSCHAEREN, clerck, 29 years old

in the  margin   -  Mechelsesteenweg n° 51, section 6  (home address of the parents)
                       -  marriage cert of the parents : 1896  n° 1083

marriage  cert n° 1083 

Antwerp 27 June 1896 at 11 am,  marriage banns 7 June 1896 Antwerp

groom   - Emilius Maria Ferdinandus STEPHANY, born 30 August 1868 Antwerp, clerck, address : Vincentiusstraat n° 15, section 8

parents  -  Joannes Baptista STEPHANY, deceased
             -  Emilia Ludovica LOUPART, without profession, residing at Antwerp 
                 (according the marriage annexes she was in the hospital Sint-Antonius at Sint-Niklaas)

bride      -  Alice Florentina Josephina DE LA MONTAGNE, born 11 December 1869 Antwerp, without profession, address : Zuiderlei n° 138, section 8

parents   -  Petrus Alexius DE LA MONTAGNE, without profession, residing at Antwerp, present and consenting
              -  Josephina Barbara Eugenia BERGYS, deceased

witnesses   -  Emilius DE LA MONTAGNE, 23 years old, painter, brother of the bride
                 -  Carolus GEROK, 38 years old, merchant
                 -  Carolus STEPHANY, 32 years old, lawyer, brother of the groom
                 -  Adolphus  (KEINNA), 44 years old, director of the water distribution
                 -  all residing at Antwerp
- prenuptial agreement 24 June 1896 by notary GHEYSENS, residing at Antwerp

Most of the records for Belgium on Familysearch are from the civil registration-period : from June 1796 to ca 1910. 
Those records and the records pre civil registration-period (parish registers) are also available on the  Belgian State Archives.
To search / see these records you need to register but that’s free.

http://search.arch.be/nl/tips/98-parochieregisters    (parish registers)
http://search.arch.be/nl/tips/101-burgerlijke-stand   (civil registration)

a  very good dutch alternative link with a nicely ranked list with direct links to the Dutch and Belgian records on Familysearch :
 http://zoekakten.nl/indexbe.php

- click on  AW  (= provincie Antwerp)
- click on the link  Antwerpen
- tick  the preferred box (tafels = index / Geboorten = births / Huwelijkafkondigingen = banns / Huwelijken en Echtscheidingen = marriages and      divorces / Huwelijkbijlagen = marriage annexes / Overlijden = decease)
- and then click on  Maak een keuze  (= make a choice)

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 August 14 03:16 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately my computer did dummy spit and until I get it seen to I only have a wee bit of information for you send from a friends computer.
Madeleine was born at 51 Mechelschest Street (Rue) Antwerpen. At the time of her birth her father was 29 years old born 1869/70 and her mother was 28 years old. Emilius Maria Ferdinandus Stephany was by occupation a clerk and the son of Joannes Baptista Stephany and Emillia Ludovica Loupart.
Joannes Baptista was in 1877  living in 51 St. Thomas Street (Rue) Antwerpen and his occupation was "Professeur de piano."  I don't do French but I guess it means he was an expert in pianos??
That's as far as I got before the dummy spit. Will get back to it all again once I get computer seen to. Cheers!!

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 August 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
Carolus Maria Ludovicus Stephany son of Joannes Baptista Stephany
Born: 25 February 1865 in Antwerpen.
Died: 5 March 1904 in Antwerpen aged 39
Studied law at the university of Antwerpen and graduated with law degree 10 July 1888. Practised law from 1888 until his death in 1904.
From 1890 to 1896 lived at  15 Vincentius St. Antwerpen
From 1896 to 1898 lived at 9 Leopoldplaats Antwerpen.
Was member of political party from 5 July 1898 until his death 

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 August 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

"Professeur de piano" = piano teacher

"Professeur" = teacher (school)

Cheers!!
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 September 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello!
My query is not related to the present topic, but I wonder if anyone can help please?
I am looking for the birth of ANTIONETTE VAN DERVELDE around 1863 in Belgium, I'm afraid I have no idea where.    Her father's name was John.    She married Frederick John Vinall in Liverpool, UK in 1897 and I have records of her from then on.    I cannot find any trace of her entering the UK or leaving (she died in Nice), nor does she seem to have been in the UK in 1891.   Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 September 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi annemaj

I started this chat with a request for help and received a lot of good advice, since then I have been successively searching my Belgium family members, however, unlike you I knew they came from Antwerp. I have written below a guide on how to search for Antwerp records, the province of Antwerp has 160 municipalities of which Antwerp itself is one of these, this means if she was born in the province of Antwerp you have a choice of 160 municipalities to choose from. If she was not born in Antwerp province you have another 8 provinces to choose from with probably +1400 municipalities in total. 

A Guide for Searching Belgium Family History on the Internet
To search for Belgium family records, I have been advised to use the website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Their web address is: http://familysearch.org

The Belgium Civil Registrations that they hold cover the period from the early 1600s to 1909 and are split into the following nine provinces, Antwerp, Brabant, East Flanders, Hainaut, Limburg, Liege, Luxembourg, Namur and West Flanders.
Each province consists of a number of municipalities, for example the province of Antwerp has 160 municipalities of which the city of Antwerp is one of these municipalities.
Each municipality is responsible for its own civil registrations. These are held in yearly books, one each for births, marriages and deaths.
All of the civil registration books have been scanned onto micro-film, however, the records are not computer searchable, they have to be searched manually.
So far I have only briefly searched the Antwerp municipality registers, these are in Flemish / Dutch and are split into the following groups.
 Geboorten (Births)
 Huwelijken (Marriages)
 Overlijden (Deaths)
 Huwelijksbijlagen (Marriage Supplement Records)
 Huwelijkgafkondigingen (Marriage Banns)
 Tienjarige tafels (10 year index for births, marriages and deaths)
Each book has an index which lists the names of the persons in the register along with the number of their particular record. From 1824 the index is located at the front of the book, for multi-year books the index is located at the beginning of each year. From 1882 the index is located at the back of the book.
From 1824 onwards the index is in alphabetical order, however, the names of any given letter are listed in the date of their registration order (from the 1st of January to the 31st December), this means looking for Stephany, you have to go through the whole list of S’s.
From 1833 onward the index and also the names are listed in alphabetical order.

This all sounds rather complicated, however, once you get use to the record formats they are not too difficult to use.

Guide for opening the website and accessing the Belgium Records.
Enter the following website address into goggle: http://familysearch.org
When the Family Search website opens click on > Search
This opens the Discover Your Family History page, now click on > Browse All Published Collections
This opens the Historical Records Collections, scroll down and click on > Belgium Antwerp Civil Registration 1609-1909
This opens the Belgium Antwerp Civil Registration 1609-1909 page click on > Browse through 2,978,372 images
You are now on the page which lists the province of Antwerp 160 municipalities, click on > Antwerpen.
This will take you to the page which lists all the Antwerpen: Record Type and Years.

Hope this helps, best regards Wave Watcher
Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 September 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
There is a Antoinette Van Nedervelde born in Brussels, fathers name ‘Jean’ Baptiste (see link below), but there may be many more and there is no central database for BMD’s in Belgium. So you really need more details. On the death cert (online up to 1936) of her husband are his birthplace, birthdate and parents listed and his wife’s surname is spelled as : Vannedervelde. If you know her death date you might be able to apply for the cert, not sure for Nice.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019wl/

N° 1168, The 11th day of the month March from the year 1863, at 11:00 AM
Birth cert of Antoinette Van Nedervelde, born the 10th of this month at 17:00 PM, rue de la Coupe, (section 4 ?) n° 23, daughter of Jean Baptiste Van Nedervelde, day laborer, born in Elst, and from Maria Therese De Temmerman, born in Elst, spouses, residing at the same address.
According the statement of the father, 42 years old
In the presence of Laurent Sanders, tailor, 44 years old, and Guillaume Van Mol, terrassier, 58 years old, residing in this city. The father and the second witness have declared they could not sign as being illiterate, the first witness has signed
established at the Town Hall by us,  the undersigned, Henri Vandermeerens, civil registrar of the city of Brussels, which document was read out.

Groetjes
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 September 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your replies, I shall try and follow up.   I had found the name in East Flanders so I think I will make that my place of research. 
I had hopes that it was the right Antoinette but her father is described as a 'wine merchant' on her marriage certificate which doesn't really go with a 'day labourer'!!   Her husband is also described as a 'wine merchant' even though he actually ran a pub, so perhaps she didn't want to be outdone.    I know just how many porkies they told in those days!
Thanks again, help very much appreciated.
annemaj