Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76391 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #513 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
The David Richard(s),circa 1801 of Llechwedd is directly referred to in the 1832 will of William Evans of Llechwedd,wherein the original Richards is scored out.
It seems to me William is most likely to be the son referred to in the 1794 will of Richard Evan(hence two possible versions of "surname") of Garth Vawr,Llangwryfon,an adjacent property.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I forgot to add the patrimonics into the mixing bowl. I remember looking at an item that refered to a death of the tenant of Llechwedd where funeral arrangements and payment is made by a David Richards but I can't remember any details or dates but was probably the death of William Evans.
                                     Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: Thursday 17 January 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea whether this is relevant,but I came across the following

Oxford University Alumni
Richards,Thomas son of "Rd Ev.",pauper,Lledrod
Matriculated 1684 aged 22
Became vicar/rector at Verwick 1695 ,Aberporth,Rosemarket,Pembroke 1715

I have found his will of 1746 at Rosemarket.I haven't been able to
read it all,but he mentions a wife Elizabeth and a'fifth son" James.
This is the first time I can remember a James other than the original one.
The dates suggest one generation removed from your James(?) and the
connection with Lledrod even further,but I thought it worth mentioning!

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:12 GMT (UK) »
  I remember coming across this Rev. during countless searches for any clergy named Richards but couldn't place him with anyone in my tribe. (Neither could I find any Richards family that would have been classified as paupers). Certainly members of the Lledrod grouping named their children after close relatives but we have John as well as James in the family of my Gx4 Grandfather, (John) and I haven't come across another John either.
 The Thomas Richards that you mention was born in 1662, (around the same circa date as Richard David, my Gx7 so we have to go back another generation to get at his father). Could the "Rev. Ev." be Evan Richards although at that date it could have been anything. How does James merit the label, 'pauper' when he is shown as being a Cleric's son. "Collection every Sunday ...coins mostly but lots of them".
                               Regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Forestandtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: Thursday 08 October 20 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hello    I have today 8/10/2020 read with interest some of your comments from Dec 2016 and Jan 2017.       My interest being that an ancestor of mine farmed at Esgerygors Isaf, Ledrod Upper {according to 1841 Census that is}.
Did you solve whatever query you were attempting ?
If your family owned this area, then maybe mine would have been their tenant farmers ?
Their name was Jones, of course!!!!
MH

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: Friday 09 October 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hei Forestandtree.
                           The Richards family gave up Esgair in 1770 but your input may help to explain the mysterious, "Twyn-y-rhose", a property that appears together with Esgair in varous documents and which neither I nor Roger were able to locate, despite our best efforts. Esgair Issaf, (Twyn-y-rhose),may have been a small property within the boundaries of Esgair-y-gors and may not, during the 1700's and later, have been registered as a dwelling or shown on any maps.
                  Thank you for your interest.
                                         Regards, Peter.