Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24822 times)

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #36 on: Friday 29 August 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Just picking up on a couple of points from previous posts....

I cannot work out "Paylina" at all - I've enhanced the census writing and it still looks like that name, but I haven't found the name anywhere else.. Looks like a mystery.

I liked the comments about Tumbling Hill etc for the Bradford Butterfields...if only they had written it down somewhere! :)

I looked through Colne for 1841 earlier this week - about 30 individual names,  at 9 addresses, but maybe involving less families....no clear links there as yet, but maybe 1851 will reveal more.

At that time Keighley, and the districts out of Keighley on the Colne road, and also the road to Haworth and Oxenhope show the most family numbers, and there is a bit of a spread to Bingley as well. I've managed to establish a few more links to what I already had here, but there's a way to go yet. Also. for what it's worth, i have no entries at all for Addingham in that year.

The Lane Ends, Oakworth part is really frustrating still - it looks like there must be some kind of  relationship between Elijah and family, who we know about, and Susannah and her children, but I can't pin it down. I find it hard to believe that in the Lane Ends of that time these two would be part of two different families.

I've found another entry for a Susannah, baptised in Haworth 18 Feb 1795, parents Joseph and Sarah, living at Lane Ends too....but who are they?? I have several Josephs marrying different Sarahs at around that time - there is Sarah Hird, Sarah Gott, and a Sarah Arnold (that one is a bit out of the timescale though). Any thoughts?

Also about Susannah - I can't help but think that son Ogden gives us a clue here....there are a number of Ogden families in the area....

I'm also feeling more and more that my elusive James is in the mix here too.

Confusing, time consuming...but fun!

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 06 September 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Yes if only they'd written it down.
We have had a few stories passed down in the family though. Tom and Ruth Annie (mill workers) were very left wing, especially when Tom came back from the war. Tom (a staunch trade unionist) was born during the famous Manningham Mills Strike. I think I have seen a photo of his father John William, in old family photos . If it was him, he had quite long hair, all slicked back, dark hair and eyes. He died quite young in Manningham. So did Sugden, his eldest son (unmarried)

I might have another look into the Physical Force Chartist Henry Butterfield born about 1816 or 1818. I've seen the newspaper reports of his trial 1848 (very poignant), he was certainly a leader of men. Isaac Ickeringill was one of the main ringleaders. The list of those on trial is very long, much longer than in the link below. The whole area was up in arms, as it had been 1839 / 1840, when it was in support of the Newport Rising. .
Henry is mentioned here @ chartists.net
http://www.chartists.net/Chartists-arrested-in-1848.htm
And of course will keep looking for your James :) , I'm curious now , I can't help thinking he is connected to the sisters Mary , Martha and Eunice line
Will keep you posted about any finds  :)

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this link - much appreciated.

Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Just received information re the 2 James's who died in 1865. One was a child, 9 wks old, parents William and Mary. He died in Gilstead, near Bingley, and the death was registered in Keighley.

The second one registered in Keighley that year died in an industrial accident at Oakworth Mills, aged 16.

This is verified, so both of these are out of the equation for the James I am looking for.

As I haven't found any census record that fits him for 1861 either, I'm thinking my  James died between 1851 and 1861.....so the case continues......

Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
...and then there is "Paylina"....I've just found Paulina Butterfield, died aged 5 in 1851. Abode given as Slack Lane, and burried at Oakworth Christchurch. West Yorkshire, England, Deaths and Burials 1813 - 1985.  So that must be her??

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 14 September 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Had another look through the newspaper archives .

Found a James Butterfield involved in the Plug Riots (now known as the 1842 General Strike).
James Butterfield, who seems to have led this particular mob, was convicted for his part in an attack on a mill at Bingley.
From
The Northern Star
Sept 10th 1842
(Includes long lists of other strikers on trial , who were in Halifax (where 5 or 6 people died), Bradford, parts of Leeds and other WR locations)
16th of August 1842
"A mob proceeded to the mill of Mr Townsend and the rest shouted 'Mr Butterfield, come forward'. They then went to the engine house and the prisoners and others attempted to draw the plug of the boiler...the mob then said they would show no partiallity and draw the [mill] dam...".

Had another look at Henry Butterfield the chartist convicted 1848
He had been drilling men at Clayton. There is a Henry living Clayton on the 1841 census. Living on his own born 1821. Whether this is actually the Henry chartist (and not the Haworth Henry) is hard to know, because often men were drilled at remote locations, like on the moors , so he could be from anywhere in the area.
Nearby Clayton area Henry is a family of Butterfields
Mary 1786
Esther 1823
Priscilla 1831
Interestingly, also nearby, there is a Jowell family (Jowett ?). Possibly connected to the Jowitt who gave evidence against him, who was possibly a paid informer.
From the Bradford Observer 3rd August 1848
(With long lists of other chartists on trial)
"A witness by the name of Jowitt said, that at an early hour in the morning of the 22nd of may last, he saw the prisoner [Henry] with forty men, who were marching in military array. The prisoner shouted 'halt' and the men halted. He then said 'right face' and they immediately obeyed. Other orders were given of a similar character, which were followed with the same precision as before. On being cross examined, Jowitt said he was watching the drilling for about ten minutes, that it was not equal to that of soldiers, but that the men drilled did their best ..."

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 15 September 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
What about the Butterfields in Shipley?
Any connections as I have found a few living/dying and subsequent burials at 2 cemeteries.
http://vitaldb.moorlandit.com/index.php
(Just enter Butterfield into surname search)
Further references to Butterfield named families can be found in two old books.
1) Ancient Bingley: Or Bingley, It's History and Scenery - 1897
2) Chronicles and stories of Old Bingley - 1898
[I have both books in pdf format that I could make available via my dropbox account]
Let me know if you want to look, both @ 20Mb download.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 15 September 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,

Thanks for the book information - I have found both of them this morning to use for future reading, but I appreciate the offer. I have done a little research on Shipley and Bradford connections, at the moment in the 1840s and 1850s, so the Moorland link will also be useful too.

I am starting to realise just how much information is out there, if you just know where to look!

Thanks also Sally for passing on your links and knowledge of these times.

I have one question, which may well be very naive of me, but I need to ask it....   If I find a death registration (eg Adam Butterfield, death registered in Keighley 1851) why am I not finding a burial record in the area?  I have looked in all the parish records that I think would apply, but no joy. Similarly, I have no birth or baptism record as yet, just two census returns (lived in Sutton 1841 and 1851). Is it simply that the relevant parish is not yet online, or am I missing something? I've only found one other Adam besides this one, but he wasn't born until 1849, and lived elsewhere.

I find this really confusing, but it might be inexperience on my part - can you advise?

Thanks in advance,

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 15 September 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Adam might be nonconformist and the records are not online yet.