Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24641 times)

Offline Sherry10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Cliffelinks,
Sorry for not replying sooner. I am working on your queries but it's taking longer than expected. I'll answer them soon.

Here are a few pieces of information from my notes from 2005

At that time I was sent the following by the lovely guy who runs the Cliffe Castle / Butterfield website:

From an article on the Blue Bell Turnpike, that ran between Haworth and Toller Lane, Bradford:-
Tolls collected:
1776 150li to John Butterfield of Haworth, yeoman
1778 153li to John Butterfield and Jeremiah Smith of Two Laws
1780 140 li to John Butterfield of Haworth, whom it was directed that steps should be taken, and against Jeremiah Smith, for their arrears of tolls.
In 1782 the clerk was instructed to stop all proceedings against John Butterfield, then in gaol for non payment of rent.

I seem to recall that li means shillings - using those turnpikes wasn't cheap!

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Perhaps we should be looking at court cases!
It's a pity it's not clear who lives at Two Laws ( is that how it got its name? One law for them, one for the rest? Or because - as Sally pointed out - it's on the border between two parishes?(Keighley and Colne). Interesting either way)

Offline Sherry10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Sally also mentioned the workhouse up there. Where was it Sally? The only mention I can find on line is here
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Keighley/

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 30 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sally also mentioned the workhouse up there. Where was it Sally? The only mention I can find on line is here
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Keighley/

I think on google maps it would be somewhere abouts the Keighley side of 'Occupation lane'
In the link, first paragraph.
'...Exley Head, to the south-west of the town on the Oakworth road'

Offline Sherry10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 30 July 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
This is what I have for the Two Laws lot, which might be of interest :-
Thomas BUTTERFIELD (I believe he was baptised Keighley 1 Feb 1769, son of John BUTTERFIELD and Mary SHARP, but this is a guess. If right then at his baptism the family were described as being of 'Cowling Head' - which appears to be just behind Two Laws though I'm prepared to be corrected ). He married Elizabeth (either Tindell m Keighley 8 Nov 1791, or Sunderland, m Haworth 11 Jan 1787, either marriage would fit, though the Tindell one is most likely)
They had Sarah (b 30 Apr 1792, bap 4 Jun 1792), John (bap 4 Feb 1793 Haworth), Ann (b 25 Feb 1794, bap 13 Apr 1774), William (b 26 Jan 1796, bap 30 May 1796 ) Polly (b 18 Aug 1797 bap 8 Oct 1797). My only question over this is that only John was baptised at Haworth, the rest at Keighley, but otherwise it all fits.

NB There is also a William, baptised 31 Mar 1812 at Haworth, of 'Two Laws' , son of  Joseph and Sarah, aged 19 weeks, who I cannot place)

Of these above, John (1793) married Martha SHARP 30 Jul 1816 at Keighley. They lived at Two Laws. John was living with his daughter Betty at Laverack Hall in Oakworth when he was buried at Oakworth, 12 Jun 1872, aged 79. Ditto for Martha , 3 Aug 1878 aged 83.
They had the following children:
Joseph, bap 9 Nov 1817, Keighley. (He married Sarah Bancroft (bap 29 Apr 1827 at Haworth), and became landlord of the Grouse Inn. After his death Sarah moved in with her brother Stephen at Lobmill, Todmorden ( 1891 census). She died in Todmorden but was buried back in Oakworth 27 Mar 1896. Joseph and Sarah had Thomas, 1855, who was buried aged 4 on 13 Aug 1859 at Oakworth , and Sarah Ann, who married Joseph Briggs 1 May 1882.)
Isaac, bap 8 Nov 1818, Keighley
Betty, bap 11 Jan 1821 Keighley( married someone called Binns and they went to live at Laverack Hall with their children Martha,1854, Thomas, 1856, Mary Jane, 1858, Elizabeth, 1860, Rebecca, 1862 and William, 1864. Her parents moved in with her later)
Susanna, bap 28 Aug 1823, Keighley
Mary Ann, bap 9 May 1825, Keighley
Thomas, bap 8 May 1827, Keighley.( He became a farmer at Hilltop. He married Ann and they had 3 children, Sarah Ann, 1861, who was born at Ponden Mill, she later married James Heaton and she died in 1885; John in 1865,d 1928; and Joseph 1869.)
Sarah bap 10 Dec 1830, Keighley
Henry bap 29 Jul 1832, Keighley
Priscilla 1832 (Zillah on some census entries). (She was aged 20 when baptised at Oakworth Sept 8 1852, when her date of birth was given as 14 Dec 1832)
Ann 1837 ( had John Ellis Butterfield , baptised Oakworth, aged  2,May 1863 . He later married Elizabeth Ann Taylor DRIVER, May 19 1888 Oakworth, and was still of Two Laws then.
Jane bap 25 Jun 1837 Keighley
John bap 25 Jun 1837 Keighley. Possibly the one buried 29 March 1890, aged 50, at Oakworth.

As many of the dates are baptismal dates they may well have been older at the time of baptism, as you know, and as indeed Priscilla was.

Hope this helps. I've written it all out because there are a pile of public tree on Ancestry, where absolutely everyone gives that John (1793) is 'of Thwaites' and his father is Peter, but I've spent years on this, done all the legwork and research, and am pretty sure that is wrong. I believe the entries entries support this as being correct. What do you think?

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
From my notes:-
On the 26 June 1753 the Trust ordered a bar to be erected at the bottom of Steeton Bank. Evasion was soon a major problem. Travelers evaded by going thro' Steeton Ings." September 1756 the Collector at Steeton brought a complaint against John Scot of Keighley, who unloaded his cart before passing the bar in order to reduce the toll. December 1757 John Crossley was summoned for putting up the Side Bar and William Smith for breaking open the main bar at Steeton. Perhaps the most significant prosecution was that of Mr. Jefferson, the Officer of the Excise, in January 1758, for riding through the fields to avoid paying toll at the bar.
Colne Turnpike. The positioning of the gate at Two Laws caused endless debate. Before the construction of the road through Ingrow the main route from Keighley to Colne lay through Oakworth and along Harehill edge to join the Bradford-Colne turnpike at Two Laws. If the gate were positioned on the Stanbury side, traffic from Keighley to Colne would be able to evade payment. If the gate were on the Colne side, traffic from Haworth and Stanbury to Keighley could avoid tolls by using the track through Pitcher Clough and Oldfield which rejoined the Harehill road at Pickles Hill. The Trustees tried to solve this problem by setting up an additional gate in Stanbury. The villagers accused the toll collectors of charging people for using the village street and driving their cattle to the fields.
Haworth presented similar problems. The game of moving the toll gate must have assumed the proportions of a major entertainment. In 1759 a toll gate was erected in West Lane. By 1763 we know it had migrated to opposite the Black Bull in Main Street because under the date of the 7 December of that year there is a resolution in the minute book for its removal and re-erection "at some convenient place between that place and Hall Green End." Later in the century the gate was moved back to West Lane.

Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 31 July 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Lots to catch up on here.....

The Turnpike information is mostly new to me, and is therefore much appreciated.

One thing that bothers me is "li" - I thought that was an alternative abbreviation of the pound sign £, from the Latin "libra"?  Surely they can't have been expected to pay that amount in pounds??????
Back to the reference books on that one.....

As regards the Two Laws lot, I have more or less the same information for John Butterfield (1793) married to Martha Sharp.

I have his Father as Thomas, married to Elizabeth Sunderland....but with different children....so I am going back to look more closely at this.

I also agree that Thomas was son of John Butterfield and Mary Sharp, and that it is a best guess.

As regards John and Martha's children, I have the same information for the ones you have...but I don't have Henry, Jane or John in my file.

However, I do have a Phillis, born in 1846 and showing on the 1851 census for this family.   So another thing to look at....

I have marriages for Mary Ann, Sarah and Priscilla as well. Do you have these?

I agree with you about all the info on Ancestry about John of Thwaites with a father Peter.....I have this John as a different individual altogether, and not the one we are talking about.

So, altogether, more investigation required here.....
Back soon.....

Offline Sherry10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 31 July 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi 

Oops - seems I've made an error in typing things up. Several in fact. I'm honestly not sure about li, so am happy to go with pounds.  It does make more sense. The trouble with the rest is that I'm working away and using photos of handwritten notes to piece things together, plus a partly done Ancestry tree. Looking again at my notes I can see  at some point I crossed out Betty Tindell, and substituted Elizabeth Sunderland, so my error, it should be Sunderland.

And the Henry , Jane and John were the children of a John and Martha, but the John and Martha living in Keighley, so you can ignore them too.

I have that Betty married John Binns of Laverack Hall
Mary Ann married Samuel Wallbank
Priscilla married Ellison Lund

Hope these are right.

Also that Isaac married Sarah (Sally) Sunderland and they moved into Haworth parish and had 5 children. His gravestone is listed in the Haworth churchyard lists, along with that of Sally and their son Frank.

Phyllis is down as a granddaughter of John and Martha in the 1851 census, but I've no idea who her parents are - or indeed if she is another illegitimate child. Any ideas?

Hope this clarifies a few bits.

Offline Sherry10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 31 July 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherry,

Really interesting info about the turnpikes - I have learned something this afternoon!

Also, apologies for not replying to your earlier post with the details about Norland Field Farm, somehow I missed that.

I agree with you that this may not be connected to "our" Butterfields...and yet I suppose that "in the mists of time" it might well be. However, it has prompted me to realise that I haven't spent a lot of time with any links to the Halifax area, so that's going on the "to do" list.

However, indirectly, this has lead me to a problem I have with some other Butterfield information in the 1841 census, and I wonder if you, or anyone seeing this, could help.

The census shows 3 Butterfield families living in Hope St (3), and another one in Back Hope Street.

I have traced 3 of these, but one of the Hope St families eludes me. This is Samuel Butterfield, 45 b 1796, married to "Elenor" Lambert, also shown as 45, with children Mary, Luke, Sarah, Elizabeth Susanna, Mark and Lambert.

I can trace this family forwards, but Samuel's parentage is missing in my records. I found a Samuel today born in Ovenden in 1799 (hence thinking about Halifax...) but he isn't the right one - wrong wife, wrong children etc, so I am stumped.

The odd thing is that the other three families here are traceable and broadly linked. It just seems strange that there were 4 families close by in that area....

Any thoughts, anyone?

Cliffelinks65

I agree with you Cliffelinks - Samuel  is hard to find. I've tried.
He seems to have been buried in Keighley 1 Mar 1843 aged 47, and was then living at New Road.

We can rule out the Ovenden one as you say as he emigrated to the USA and there is a lot on line about him.

Another missing baptism?

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 31 July 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherry,

I have the same marriages for Isaac, Betty, Mary Ann and Priscilla.....and some follow up with their children too.  I also have a possible marriage for Sarah, baptised Dec 1830, to a John Pickles.

Phillis is a bit of an enigma - she shows in 1841 as a daughter, and then in 1851 as a granddaughter. In that census record there are also several other grandchildren - James Bancroft aged 20, Samuel Wallbank 9, and another Butterfield, Ellen 2.  I also have Phillis, later in life, married to a William Smith.  All a bit confusing, isn't it - no wonder we make errors in this activity!

I agree that Samuel also looks like a missing baptism...so I'm recording him with the theories I put forward as to his birth. I'm pretty sure he is part of those 4 families in Hope St.......