Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24840 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Some parish records may never appear online?
(Local Baptist church records live inside a locked safe, I know because I asked to see them)
A large number of records have recently appeared online due to many 'local history groups' banding together and after transcribing do a deal with one of the large BMD record companies!
(Like taking the King/Queen's shilling) :o
I was once chasing a number of Methodist records, just got passed from 'pillar to post', never did get the information I required.
 Brian
Have a look here at the Bradford Family History Society website (look under publications) :
http://www.bradfordfhs.org.uk/
There must be hundreds of Butterfield named persons buried in the collective group of burial grounds starting from the 1600's!
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 September 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
Ok, I thought it might be something like that! 

Thanks

Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 October 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Following Brian's advice re burial grounds etc, I am still continuing the hunt for the right James. No joy yet...and a major delay from Bradford Registry office in obtaining some certificates. The office is being moved to another building at the moment, but, as always, they are being very helpful, so I am expecting something very soon now.

I've collected quite a collection of burial records now, which have helped with other parts of my extended tree, and at the same time analysised the 1841 census for the Aire valley from Skipton to Bradford - a toil of a pleasure, to say the least....

However, (and I know these are only numbers, and I'd better allow for errors on my part) I have found 541 living Butterfields on the census date, as follows:-

Addingham 1
Skipton 1
Keighley (incl Haworth) 264
Bingley 93
Shipley 46
Bowling 3
East End 31
West End 37
Horton 19
Manningham 4
N Bierley 11
Thornton 9
Wilsden 23

Of these, 63 are called John and 48 called Mary!  James comes in with 16....so I'm really starting to understand all the difficulties...

Hey ho..

Cliffelinks65

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Butterfield's can be slippery customers  ::)

I've recently got them in my tree. I have an Ann Elizabeth Cogan who married John William Butterfield in Leeds in 1889. It should be straight forward to expand that branch you would think? Well, there is another John William Butterfield who married in Leeds in 1889. So I needed to look at the marriage cert or register to make sure (couldn't simply compare 1881 & 1891 census).

Luckily the other John William didn't marry an Ann Elizabeth, however a John William Butterfield did marry an Elizabeth Ann Hipkin in 1873 which isn't as much of a problem of John Butterfield marrying an Ann Elizabeth Dunn in 1885. Then if you add into the mix that the original marriage register entry shows Ann's name as Elizabeth Cogan with Ann written above the Elizabeth in slightly smaller writing - did she prefer being known as Elizabeth (or a variant of) as its not usual for people to put their "known as" names on census and the likes. I'm just glad the baptism records of WY archives list fathers occupation on them.

Not sure if my John William Butterfield b abt 1870, father Oliver Butterfield, links in, but thought I'd share - apologies for hijacking.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
I like the "slippery customers" idea....!  Indeed they are.....!

At the moment I don't have any direct links to the Leeds area in my records, but have thought about looking there - something else on the to do list.

However, way way back in my research I have seen occasional links to Methley, which is in that general area I think.

I'll have a look via the Oliver you mention, and see if he leads back in any way.

Meanwhile, no news on James - the Registry office cannot find him yet.....

Cliffelinks65

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 16 October 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
I like the "slippery customers" idea....!  Indeed they are.....!

At the moment I don't have any direct links to the Leeds area in my records, but have thought about looking there - something else on the to do list.

However, way way back in my research I have seen occasional links to Methley, which is in that general area I think.

I'll have a look via the Oliver you mention, and see if he leads back in any way.

Meanwhile, no news on James - the Registry office cannot find him yet.....

Cliffelinks65
Oliver was baptised at St John the Evangelist, Baildon, 13 Mar 1836 son of William & Sarah Butterfield. William was a weaver by occupation.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 16 October 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
I note the Baildon connection here, so I will look more closely at Oliver at the weekend to see if there are any links to my Shipley records - the two places are certainly very close.

Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello - hoping someone is there to help with this!

I see it is almost 2 years since I last posted - just recently I have returned to my own family research after a long break looking into other branches of our family, so I have been going through the work I did then on the Butterfields...and have managed to correct quite a few errors that I made through inexperience at that time. So here goes with something I can't yet solve....!

When I first posted here, there was some discussion at the beginning of this thread which mentioned Elijah Butterfield and his family.

I have been looking closely at the 1841 census for Keighley, and there he is, living with his wife Ann, and children etc in District 19 at Lane Ends. Also at Lane Ends at the same time is another son, William with his wife Martha, and children.

That part is straightforward, I think.....BUT the same district has some other Butterfields also at Lane Ends....and this is where I seem to be missing something.  I have found a Susannah, with a number of children living with her...and also a Robert, who seems to be her oldest son, with his wife and children.

All these are listed as Lane Ends....so is it safe or reasonable to assume they are related?  If so, how?  I can't make a link between Elijah and Susannah at all....is she a sister, or a cousin? I have Elijah's siblings, but not a Susannah amongst them....

Susannah may have been born to a Joseph and Sarah in 1795 - a baptism of a Susannah shows up in the Haworth records I have, and also mentions Lane Ends.....

I just can't get Susannah to fit in .....every part of what I have done so far shows Butterfields in Keighley and clustered around the first part of the Worth valley up as far as Two Laws. Given the population in that area at that time, it hasn't been too difficult to link people, but this one evades me, so any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shine a light here.....

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello - hoping someone is there to help with this!

I see it is almost 2 years since I last posted - just recently I have returned to my own family research after a long break looking into other branches of our family, so I have been going through the work I did then on the Butterfields...and have managed to correct quite a few errors that I made through inexperience at that time. So here goes with something I can't yet solve....!

When I first posted here, there was some discussion at the beginning of this thread which mentioned Elijah Butterfield and his family.

I have been looking closely at the 1841 census for Keighley, and there he is, living with his wife Ann, and children etc in District 19 at Lane Ends. Also at Lane Ends at the same time is another son, William with his wife Martha, and children.

That part is straightforward, I think.....BUT the same district has some other Butterfields also at Lane Ends....and this is where I seem to be missing something.  I have found a Susannah, with a number of children living with her...and also a Robert, who seems to be her oldest son, with his wife and children.

All these are listed as Lane Ends....so is it safe or reasonable to assume they are related?  If so, how?  I can't make a link between Elijah and Susannah at all....is she a sister, or a cousin? I have Elijah's siblings, but not a Susannah amongst them....

Susannah may have been born to a Joseph and Sarah in 1795 - a baptism of a Susannah shows up in the Haworth records I have, and also mentions Lane Ends.....

I just can't get Susannah to fit in .....every part of what I have done so far shows Butterfields in Keighley and clustered around the first part of the Worth valley up as far as Two Laws. Given the population in that area at that time, it hasn't been too difficult to link people, but this one evades me, so any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shine a light here.....

Cliffelinks65

Hi again Cliffelinks

If she is a cousin of Elijah, then she might be illegitimate.
Elijahs mother had 2 sisters. All 3 sisters (of Joseph and Mary, of Ponden/Pitcher Clough area) had illegitimate children.
Clearer dates, than in my previous posts, below

Unice/Eunice b 1756
Daughters bapt at Keighley 6th of July 1786
Mary age 1 year dau of Eunice Butterfield of Pitcher Clough
Martha age 1 year dau of Eunice Butterfield of Pitcher Clough
(named after her sisters?, who had also been baptised on the same day back in 1763)

Martha (variously of Pitcher Clough) bapt 19th Oct 1763 - d (d workhouse during 1795 famine?) 14th May buried 17th May 1795
Elijah 29 Aug 1787 at Keighley of Pitcher Clough
Michael 11 Jan 1795 at Haworth (late baptism? of Martha of Throstles Nest near Pitcher Clough)
Martha born 4th April bapt 1 Jul 1795 (of workhouse) at Keighley

Mary bapt 19th Oct 1763 (bapt same day as Martha and probably the subject of a removal order, "poor child  age 4")
*James  of Mary, 15th feb 1785, (abode) Stanbury, bapt at Haworth (linked to a removal order of pregnant Mary?)
Willam of Mary, 19th may 1789, bapt at Keighley