Author Topic: Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy ca1843-1910  (Read 3592 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy ca1843-1910
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents of Reverend Thomas Davies who was born in Llanbadarn Fawr in ca 1843. He was a Calvinistic Methodist Minister who spent most of his ministry in Treorchy in the Rhondda; he died in 1910.

In 1851 and 1861 he's living with Reverend Thomas Edwards and his wife Anne at a farm called Truman in Llanbadarn Fawr. Thomas Edwards was a Calvinistic Methodist Minister with a ministry at Penllwyn Chapel in Capel Bangor. In the censuses Thomas Davies is described as a nephew of Thomas Edwards and also an orphan in 1861. Thomas Davies had a sister called Eliza born ca 1845 in Llanbadarn Fawr.

When Eliza Davies married David Evans at Penllwyn Chapel in 1864 she's described as the adoptive daughter of Thomas Edwards.

Thomas Davies's grandfather was also a Thomas Davies 1791-1858 who was from Borth Cardiganshire who was a cowkeeper in Old Street, St Luke, Finchley, London. It would seem that Thomas Davies the cowkeeper had a son who moved back to Cardiganshire, got married and had two children before passing away along with his spouse. They may well have died before 1851 and I assume certainly by 1861.

I am loth to get the marriage certificate for the marriage of Eliza Davies in 1864 as there is a chance Thomas Edwards may be down as the father.

Thomas Edwards died in 1871 and he was living in Brynrheidol LLanbadarn Fawr which ties in with my research in to the family of Thomas Davies the cowkeeper in London.

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy ca1843-1910
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not sure the dates are correct but...
There are several baptisms from 1829 to 1843 at St Luke Finsbury for children of Thomas and Jane Davies, fathers occupation Cowkeeper.
Lewis Davies 1842 parents Thomas and Jane, cowkeeper, Old Street.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well but Reverend Thomas Davies ca 1843-1910 is a grandson of Thomas and Jane Davies of Old Street St Luke. There is a Thomas Davies baptised at Christchurch Spitalfields in 1825 who may be candidate to be the father of Reverend Thomas Davies.

There is a Thomas Davies, born ca 1826 in Llanbadarn Fawr in the 1841 census and not born in Cardiganshire, as an assistant chemist to John Cole. It may be him. Married had two children and died before 1851? - it's possible. Something has happened for Reverend Thomas Edwards to adopt the children (Thomas and Eliza Davies).

You're right the first baptism at St Luke is Eliza in 1829 and finishing with Lewis in 1842. Were the family in Spitalfields before then. The connection to my family is that Anne Davies baptised 1830 at St Luke married by great grandfather's brother.

regards

David

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit further forward with the Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy ca 1843-1910. According to his obituary he was born at Wernddu Llanbadarn Fawr on 24/06/1842. I did order his marriage certificate and his father is recorded as Thomas Davies Cow Keeper (deceased). I then ordered his birth certificate but I've received a phone call from the Aberystwyth Register Office to tell me that they cannot find an entry for Thomas Davies for that time frame in that area.

His father Thomas Davies the Cow Keeper died in Whitecross Street St Luke's London on 23/04/1858. He committed suicide. There is an administrative bond for Thomas Davies the Cow Keeper thirteen years later in 1871 and the administrator of the estate was the Reverend Thomas Davies.

As I stated earlier Thomas Davies and his sister Eliza were adopted by Reverend Thomas Edwards of Blaenrheidol Llanbadarn Fawr who died in 1871. I don't know whether Thomas Davies was told about his father after his adoptive father's death.

Just in case that the birth was not registered and that the birth did actually take place in the Llanbadarn Fawr area; does anyone have access to Llanbadarn Fawr church registers? There is a Thomas baptised at that church on 30/07/1842 to Thomas and Eliza Davies. If it's not the one I'm looking for then I can dismiss it.

Thomas Edwards and his wife Anne did not have any children of their own; there is a chance that they were related on the side of the mother of Thomas Davies Treorchy who is described as nephew to Thomas Edwards in one census.

Offline Dairygirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Thomas Davies, cow keeper who was in Fashion Street, Bermondsey around 1862. I found a tombstone on the find-a-grave.co.uk site for Jane Davies and Thomas Davies of Old Street St Lukes. She died in Apr 1851 and it says her husband died in Apr 1852. I have ordered her death cert but cannot find a death for Thomas. The Thomas Davies who died in 1858 by hanging was 41 and a drover. He was born abt 1807. But this is from a death cert provided by a coroner, so could be wrong. The tombstone was re-erected in 1917 by Thomas and Jane's grandchildren and is in Bunhill Fields.

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. To tell the truth I've packed in family history research a couple of months ago, but I'm happy to tell you what I know. I'm not related directly to Thomas Davies and his wife who have a gravestone in Bunhill Fields but their daughter Anne married William Owen Williams 1826-1869 who was a half brother of my great grandfather Robert Williams 1834-1897. The Thomas Davies who died in 1858 was a son of Thomas Davies from a previous marriage to an Ann and the Thomas Davies who died in 1858 was born in Llanbadarn Fawr Cardiganshire in 1816, The Thomas Davies who died in 1858 was the father of Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy 1842-1910.

I have copy of the death certificate for Jane Davies. She died on 14 April 1851 at 53 Old Street Finsbury. I was not sure of the death date for Thomas Davies but the photo of the gravestone at Bunhill Fields points to April 1852.

Reverend Thomas Davies Treorchy was the executor of the will of David Davies 1836-1890 a son of Thomas and Jane Davies who have a gravestone in Bunhill Fields.

I have some more information on this family which I cannot put my hand to right now but you can e mail me on d.dwroberts@btinternet.com if you want more information.

I'm not sure where Thomas Davies, cow keeper who was in Fashion Street, Bermondsey in ca. 1862 fits in.

regards

David Roberts