Author Topic: Gisleham and Spexhall. REYNOLDS.  (Read 11019 times)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Gisleham and Spexhall. REYNOLDS.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
The marriage is on the familysearch site at Scottow, Norfolk 22/05/1794 - wondering if there would be more information in the parish registers?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
You probably know this already - but a Metyer Reynolds marries Elizabeth Varnish on 9th Feb 1786 at St John De Sepuchre Norwich.  Both single.
Not Metyer Reynolds the vicar, obviously, as he would be about 72 and already married  :P but another relation maybe?
Hopefully you'll find more clues at Norfolk records office.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
The date of birth of Jane is presumably taken from her supposed age at death? This would only be as accurate as the informant knew (presumably her husband) or she led him to believe. Could she actually have been a couple of years older and was Honour's daughter before she married Metyer.
Honour was from Fornsett St Mary, have you checked likely baptisms in her home parish?

I have come across another Metyer Reynolds, a grocer in Norwich.
From Ancestry: He becomes an apprentice in 1773. In 1785 he takes on his own apprentice. In 1786 and 1787 his name is recorded in the electoral roll for St Swithin Norwich. In 1786 he marries Elizabeth Varnish in Norwich. Can't find a baptism or burial, so his age would be guesswork, but assuming he is apprenticed at 14, his year of birth would be 1759. By 1785- 87, he would be in his mid to late twenties and has become well established with his own business and can afford to marry.
Again with the same name and an unusual one, there is a strong liklihood of a relationship.

Rev Metyer was in his late forties when he married Honour, did he have an earlier marriage and grocer Metyer is his son?

ADDED@  just seen last post mentions Metyer jnr
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Ancestry and familysearch have the marriage of Rev Metyer and Honour Cooke at Forncett St Mary as well as Gisleham, but a few days before the Gisleham date. This usually means it is the Banns not marriage and the date is the last reading of the Banns. But on a previous post it says the marriage was by licence, so there would be no Banns read.
The transcript says Honour was 30 at marriage. Did she outlive Metyer?

A reference to Metyer's will here - looks like some dispute but a long time later, these are from May and Juky 1834.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/19173/page/1340
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/19152/page/818

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the interest. I am aware of the second Metyer Reynolds, grocer of St Benedicts St, Norwich St. Swithin. He was the son of a Thomas Reynolds of Hethersett and had a brother Thomas who also named a son Metyer Reynolds but he died as an infant. It appears from the grocer's will at NRO that he had no children, all is left to his widow Elizabeth. My best explanation is that Metyer Reynolds, rector of Gisleham (and Bacton) began his career as curate at Hethersett 1737-1741 and made an impression on the young Thomas Reynolds.
The will of Honour Reynolds, dated 1788, has all her property left to Jay(?)Bracey of Norwich and Mary his wife, Lieutenant in the navy. Honour had extensive properties in Forncett, Aslacton and Tacolneston.......and the will begins with reference to a tripartite indenture between a baronet, Metyer Reynolds and herself which in my ignorance suggests a previous marriage.
I've seen reference to the dispute over Metier's will but no sign of the will itself as yet.
Now Scottow where Leonora Reynolds was married, is not so far from Salhouse and Woodbastwick where a Yeoman family of Metyers resided. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, only one daughter, Mary survives to raise a family of Appletons. The wills of successive Edward Metyers at NRO have no other family members.
Studying this family reveals one of the snags. Nobody is very sure how to spell Metyer. There is every imaginable phonetic rendition and some unimaginable ones. Mary is Macher when she marries Appleton and I would have missed her but for the will.
Finally, and I'm sorry to say this, my g.uncle Sam records in his very unreliable memoirs that Leonora Reynolds was the daughter of a brother of Joshua Reynolds. In spite of what you might think, this sounds plausible. Joshua Reynolds was a substantial farmer of Beeston St Andrew just at the time when my 3xg grandfather married Charlotte Reynolds Allen, the daughter of Leonora Reynolds (whose son was Metyer Reynolds Allen). 4xg grandfather was a labourer at Beeston, and as there were only about 6 families in the parish may well have been employed by Joshua. However the dates of baptism of Joshua's brothers at Blofield exclude the possibility of Sam's suggested relationship which I suspect, like so much else, was speculative. And finally! In 1841 when her descendants are all scratching a living, not always legally, Leonora is "annuitant" in a local hostelry. Perhaps an indication that she had once been "somebody"....perhaps Sam had a vague recollection of being told this when in later life he wrote his memoirs.
David Culley

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Have found two Hethersett burials fot Metyer Reynolds on FreeReg. One in 1790 son of Thomas and Mary (nee Peters) and one in 1795 son of Thomas and Frances (nee Kettle). It looks like both are child burials.

Also a burial in 1788 at Forncett transcribed as Honor Cooke Clark and gives Maybeer (sic) Reynolds Clark as spouse. If Clark as occupation (alternative to vicar/rector) had been mistaken for part of name, could this by Honour's burial back in her home village?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
Looking at Hethersett baptisms on familysearch there is a Jane Reynolds bapt to Thomas and Mary on 6th July 1763, possibly the one who married Mr Martin in Spexhall.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Also marriage of James Postons to Mary Reynolds in Hethersett on 30 May 1776. Metyer the grocer was apprenticed to a James Postons in 1773. Mary Reynolds bapt in Hethersett to Thomas and Mary on 17 July 1751. So it looks like Metyer's master became his brother in law.

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
I had missed the Postons connection. Thanks for pointing it out. And thank you for drawing my attention to the Jane Reynolds baptised at Hethersett at just the right time to be the same Jane who names her son Metyer Reynolds Martin at Spexhall....rather near rector Metyer Reynolds at Gisleham. Mary Martin, widow of Metyer R Martin dies in Trowse (by Norwich) in 1869 possibly suggesting a return to home territory. Rector Metyer Reynolds begins his career as curate at Hethersett but no sign of a baptism for him. I favour a close family relationship between Leonora, Jane and rector Metyer Reynolds....and the other Metyer Reynolds of Hethersett. I've raised the topic in the Norfolk area of this site.