Author Topic: Elizabeth Dickson (1829-1885)  (Read 12607 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Dickson (1829-1885)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Pleaknowe...do you mean WP? This entry from 1841? www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=79001023  The most obvious (with the usual rounding down on age for the 1841 census).

Monica

PS: I am obsessing with your lines  :P Sorry. Nice relief during busy schedule  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Chris, trying to shake your tree to see if we can find any more links to help you...

I think Adam, who shows as eldest in 1841 (called after William Snr's father) is likely the son from a first marriage for William Snr. This I think is his entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1J-4P8

I don't think he married a Jane Little as you have on your tree...I think he married a Mary Cavers:

www.cults.freeserve.co.uk/ancestry/dougfam/pafg03.htm

26    F    vii    Mary CAVERS was born on 23 Aug 1812 in Castleton, Roxburgh. She died on 30 Aug 1872 in Newcastleton, Roxburgh. She was buried 1 in Castleton, Roxburgh. Mary was counted in a census in 1851 in Teviothead, Roxburgh. She was counted in a census in 1861 in Castleton, Roxburgh.
                    Mary married Adam PRINGLE on 23 Dec 1844 in Castleton, Roxburgh. Adam was born in 1818 in Cavers or Teviothead, Roxburgh. He died on 12 Oct 1884 in Castleton, Roxburgh. He was buried 1 in Castleton, Roxburgh. Adam was counted in a census in 1851 in Teviothead, Roxburgh. He was counted in a census in 1861 in Castleton, Roxburgh. He was employed as Shepherd Tollkeeper and General Labourer. He was counted in a census in 1881 in Castleton, Roxburgh.

www.cults.freeserve.co.uk/ancestry/dougfam/pafc03.htm

Jane DOUGLAS

1Gravestone Transcript.
    "Castleton, Roxburgh
    In memory of John Cavers who died at Newcastleton 1st April, 1846 aged 77. Jane Douglas his wife who died 24th June, 1855 aged 83. Beatrice their daughter who died at Gross Isle, North America 3rd August, 1834 aged 28. James their son who died at Ramsay, North America 13th December, 1841 aged 31. Jane their daughter who died 10th July, 1841 aged 24. Mary their daughter and wife of Adam Pringle died at Newcastleton Townhead Toll Bar 30th Augt 1872 aged 58 years. Adam Pringle died 12th October 1884 aged 66 years."

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
To firm that up, for Adam Jnr, son of William and Mary (Purdon):

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Son/Sibling Adam is a diversion...but just to finish off for him.

The other Adam and wife Jean Little show at Borth Cottage No 4, Wilton in 1851. I thought this might be this Adam before marriage with parents in 1841 http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=81002074... Borth Cottage and Borthaugh Cottages...likely the same?

Anyhow...back to your very fun to research Pringles and Dixons  ;)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:20 BST (UK) »

James Dixon (1792) - parents - James Dixon and Elizabeth (Betty) Knox.

Changing lines to keep things fresh and alive....

This is the right entry for James  :) Wife showing as Mary Young and reported by son Robert.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
You have my 30 units and I am off line shortly...much enjoyed the searches  ;)

This is what I referred to much earlier, when you are lucky to have much more precise dates for seaches, SP is amazing as you simply go in there and pick up the exact images you need (  :'( does not always happen...but lots of work from everyone here to make sure it did).

This is the parents' details for Mary Young/Dixon from 1867, widow by now of James Dixon. Mother Ellen (Helen etc.) maiden's name unknown. Again, son Robert reported her death. Bare this in mind for her English birth heritage searches...

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 August 14 01:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, going way too fast for me, I shall have to write that lot down to digest it.

I had come across some of the extra William Pringles, at least 2 in the same area turning out kids with the same names at the same time. You probably saw "other William pringle" in my tree as I tried to model it.

I struggle to understand why they rounded ages in 1841, if only they just rounded down, sometimes they seem to round up.

In addition to Adam early on I think there was Janet 1817, and that she was the mother for Margaret (abt 1840) while she was unmarried, later on I think she married ? Hume.

You must have used some SP credits, is there a way I can pass you some of mine?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 August 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just read the Family Search wiki about Teviothead Parish. Regarding the OPRs it states that there are births for 1824 - 1854 but that no marriage records have survived. Unfortunately it goes on to state that no Kirk Session records have survived.

There is an interesting page about the parish on the Borders Family History Society site. Apparently the 1841 census for the parish was lost. Worth a read. Google Teviothead parish and you should find it.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
So no chance of finding any OPR entry for the marriage in 1848. Thanks William  :)

Chris, re the grandaughter Margaret, from earlier I think these were her details:

This may be the granddaughter Margaret Pringle/Hume who shows in both 1841/51 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1J-2MN

Mother Mary Pringle may not have married James Hume. The reason I say this is that young Margaret shows as Hume in 1841 and Pringle in 1851. Not uncommon for illegitimate children to go by the name of their father at any time in their lives. Not certain though.

Monica

PS: Ha, you have this already pinned down as I can see it all written up on your tree. You have been busy these last 12 hours or so  ;D