Author Topic: Elizabeth Dickson (1829-1885)  (Read 12605 times)

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Dickson (1829-1885)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 August 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
I got a further birth cert, for William 1862 and posted the place name in the deciphering forum, the hope was to get a definitive place name for the parents marriage.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=695081.18

It looks like Bathdeannyshield to me - sound like anywhere near Teviothead?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 August 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Have to admit, can't make out the writing easily either on that cert  :-\

To me, it looks to start with Southdean.... Can't make out the tail of the word, or whether there is a further small separate word at the end.

There is a Southdean parish in Roxburghshire, see www.bordersfhs.org.uk/southdean.asp

Let's see what others make of it. 

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 August 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
The last bit might be "shire".

The bit underneath that I cropped just says "Danl Scott Registrar" in case anyone thinks I chopped a useful bit.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 August 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
From general google info, Daniel Scott seems to show as the Registrar in Fodderty in that period of the 1850-60s. This obviously fits well with William's birth there that you have in 1862 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ65-M3P

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 August 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
Chris, a beatiful script on son David's birth in 1868:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 August 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Place names of Teviothead www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/place-names/Teviothead?class=parish&county=Roxburghshire

There looks to be a few Southdean references there, that could well fit with the 1862 ref from William's birth reg.....including a Southdeanrig Shiel (hurray - I think that is what shows in 1862!).

Some details here http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/180340/details/colterscleuch+shiel/ You can click on the map on the page....nice sheepfold showing just below  ;)

Monica

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Chris, church weddings were pretty unheard of in those days  ::) More of a 20th Century thing that crept in over time. This is a great site if you are interested in reading up on the history of civil registration in Scotland and social history www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=578172.0 The period you are looking at now is pre 1855, but a fascinating read regardless. Will be interesting and more relevant for the later research you have.

In those times, it was very common to marry in the bride's home or the local Manse. It may be that Elizabeth's family home was not the location (we still have issues don't we due to not being able to fully confirm either WP or ED's parentage with anything more than Family Search so far).

Where is the reference to Dad William being just to the east in Pleaknowe. I can see I think William Snr and wife Jean with children here in 1841 www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=78506001 The look to have still been there in 1851. Phaup seems to also have been known as Fawhope...with once again a lovely sheepfold nearby! www.rootschat.com/links/019b1/ - link shrunk from NLS maps site (great maps aren't they  :))).

Monica

Added: 1851 entry here www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=80901003

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
For William Snr, showing with a Roberton birth place, this is his christening entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQH3-98V  His father Adam, also a shepherd.

Maybe William Snr was married before? Son Adam shows as born c. 1821 and Jean Reid's marriage to William Snr shows in 1823.

This may be the granddaughter Margaret Pringle/Hume who shows in both 1841/51 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1J-2MN

So many shepherds in this line of Pringles  ::)  Helps to firm up the line for WP in the absence so far of actual physical records on parents.

Monica