Author Topic: 3 September 1918, Sgt Arthur George Knight VC  (Read 2217 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 September 1918, Sgt Arthur George Knight VC
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
And again,

Sgt Knight was a resident of Haywards Heath, born and went to school there. Emigrated to Canada before the war but returned and enlisted.

This plaque was the result of several years of work by our Branch Chairman with the help of the council. It was unveiled outside of the town hall on Monday afternoon.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt Arthur George Knight VC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
"Knight was one of seven Canadian to be awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions on 2 September 1918 during the Second Battle of Arras. ...

On 2 September 1918 at Villers-les-Cagnicourt, France, when a bombing section which he was leading was held up, Sergeant Knight went forward alone, bayoneting several machine-gunners and trench mortar crews, and forcing the rest to retire. Then bringing forward a Lewis gun he directed his fire on the retreating enemy; his platoon went in pursuit and the sergeant, seeing about 30 of the enemy going into a tunnel leading off the trench, again went forward alone, killing an officer and two NCOs and taking 20 prisoners. After this, again single-handed, he routed another hostile party. Later he was fatally wounded...

Knight is buried at Dominion Cemetery in Hendecourt-les-Cagnicourt, Pas-de-Calais, France. The cemetery is roughly three kilometres northeast of the village (plot I, row F, grave 15). His Victoria Cross is on display at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_George_Knight
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt Arthur George Knight VC
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Back again,

Quite so and if I had read the notes I took at the last committee meeting I would have realised he came back with the Canadians and not to enlist. I tried resizing the picture but it is no clearer. I only received this as an attachment to an e-mail from the chairman and it is a bit out of focus so my apologies.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)