Author Topic: Andrew Cox  (Read 968 times)

Offline jennygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Cox
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have a brick wall for Andrew Cox born about 1800 England who married Sarah Halliday/ Holliday in 1828, Saint Mary's Church, Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex, London England.

Andrew and Sarah arrived in Australia on the ship Govenor Halkett on 10 Sep 1832. They came as assisted immigrant passengers. On 14 September they were given an advanced loan of €20. Andrew was a caulker and shipwright by trade.

They had two children born in Sydney
Alice Catherine, 1st Feb 1834,Parish of St Philips Sydney, County of Cumberland, NSW, Australia
Andrew Henry, 9 Jun 1836, Millers Point, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

The father Andrew dies: 1836 Sydney, NSW, Australia; buried:14 Nov 1836 Parish St Philips Church, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

This leaves Sarah with no husband and two children. She goes on to remarry William Brown and lives a good life.

My question is where was the father Andrew Cox born and who were his parents? It must be somewhere near the water and boats because of his occupation.

l look forward to any help and suggestions. Jenny

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Cox
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 05:42 BST (UK) »
Good morning Jenny
when Andrew died in November 1836 -did it state his age ??

www.familysearch.org has the marriage as Sarah Holliday on 7th October 1828
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJVS-75D

I find it hard to believe their first child was born after 6 years of marriage in 1834 ??...did they have any children in England during the first 4 years of married life ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jennygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for taking an interest in my Cox family. I only have a burial record. He is 38 years in 1836

Offline jennygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 06:35 BST (UK) »
I have not found any children in the Whitechapel area.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 06:43 BST (UK) »
OK so born 1797 /98
can only find one on IGI

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWF5-KM9       - born on St Swithins day ..

Stoke Damerel ,Devon is now within Plymouth local authority - so a huge sailing community
looks a decent match to me for your Andrew Cox
http://www.devon.gov.uk/historicstokedamerel
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 06:49 BST (UK) »

Offline jennygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
 Oh Boy, it is looking good however is there a way to be sure before I claim him. Please excuse my inexperience. I am guessing that Andrew pulled into the docks of London and maybe met Sarah Holliday or do you think that he may have lived near the docks in London??

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
I live in Liverpool and know a bit about Sailors
Caulkers and Blockmakers would often go on board and work on the ship whilst it was "Coasting "
Coasting ships would take goods around Britain -
so there is every chance that if it is your Andrew Cox b 1798 in Stoke Damerel,Devon - he would have boarded a ship at Plymouth - sailed around the coast in to London with goods on board - and met Sarah - she could easily have been involved in shipping ...Silk / Cotton / Canvas Sailmaker ??...or even working in a Ships Chandlers ...or they met in the pub ...lol
it`s all supposition - but I have to say the 1798 baptism in Devon looks a good match for me - primarily because I couldn`t find another Andrew Cox 1796/7/8/9/1800...so the 1798 baptism matches his age at his death in Australia EXACTLY ....of course - how do we prove it ??...that`s the question ..

Offline jennygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 07:41 BST (UK) »

I have some memory of being told that Sarah's father was a butcher in Whitchapel however I ncould be wrong