Author Topic: James Mathews 1869 Blackrock, Louth, Ireland  (Read 24224 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: James Mathews 1869 Blackrock, Louth, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 August 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
1930 San Francisco Census
James Mathews' is recorded as being born c1866, married at age 44; Margaret  - c1875; married at age 35
Immigration date:  1914

1920 San Francisco Census
James Mathews' is recorded as being born c1870; Margaret - c1875
Immigration date: 1908
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 August 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
I see that James and Margaret are buried in Colma, California.  If you do not live in that area, I can phone the cemetery office to see if they have a year of birth for James, if you like?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 August 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa! Yes I recently found they are in Holy Cross cemetery in Colma... My great grandma, great grandpa and grandma are all buried there also... I have tried calling but they won't answer any questions like that over the phone... I am going to have to make the trip down there... was planning on doing it in the next few weeks! =) I appreciate you!

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 September 14 03:30 BST (UK) »
So... no headstone... =(

BUT!!!!! I received the marriage entry from Liverpool for James marriage to Margaret White... both fathers names are John and both fathers were fishermen... John Mathews was deceased as of the date of marriage (May 21, 1909)

James was listed as a 43 year old widower and licensed victualler with an address of 350 Scotland Rd, Liverpool and Margaret was a 35 year old spinster barmaid with an address of 10 Upper Parliament st, Toxteth Park... I have tried to look up the Scotland rd address with no luck and the building no longer stands =( I am considering ordering the marriage licence from James' first wife Mary in Ireland in the hopes that it may give a new tidbit of information... any other ideas???

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 September 14 06:40 BST (UK) »
I think I have found that James mother was Margaret McGuinness and he had a brother John... I have a Jas Mathews (head), Mary (wife), Anne (daughter) and John (brother) in Birkenhead England in 1891 =) I think I might be getting there! Does anyone know how to find info on "fishermen" in Ireland? Is there anywhere I can search that might give me info? Was that a "good" job to have back then in Ireland?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 September 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
A fisherman would be much the same as a farmer, a farmer would at least have land one could track.

I've read over this thread again and must admit I'm totally confused. I tried drawing it up but it's not helping, so I don't know if I even have a suggestion I could add.

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Lol... It is driving me so crazy to have so much info but can't find.any answers!  Everytime I get another bit of information it seems to create more questions than avenues to search! I  greatly thank you so much for your time!

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe this will help...

John Mathews - fisherman died before 1909 had a son James Mathews born 1866-1869 in Blackrock, Dundalk  who married Mary in 1888 &moved to England by 1889 where daughter Annie was born in Birkenhead. They also had sons James and John who were born and died in Liverpool (James born 1894 & died in 1900... No info on John) Mary died in Toxteth Park in 1908 & James married 2nd wife Margaret  White in 1909 where entry of marriage showed both James and Margarets fathers were fishermen named John and that John Mathews was deceased. James and Margaret came to San Francisco in 1914 & had my great grandma Margaret born 1915 & my great uncle Desmond James in 1918. James died.in 1930 from pneumonia, emphysema and myocarditis.

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
There weren't very creative with names lol that perhaps is why all the confusion... Too many different Johns James and Margarets