Author Topic: Staunton Family Castlebar  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Holly Heaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Staunton Family Castlebar
« on: Friday 08 August 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information on the Staunton family of Manulla, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.  I really do not know much about them, other than my Great-Grandfather Ulick Staunton moved to Lurgan, N. Ireland at the time of Partition.  He was a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary, and was offered unemployment or a place in the Royal Ulster Constabulary at Partition.

I think his father was William Staunton.  I'd love to know more about them.  About the land they lived on, what it was worth, who else was in the family etc.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Staunton Family Castlebar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,

Have you looked at the Irish Census   http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

I found him in 1911 and suspect that there may be a mistranscription for 1901 but you will be able to trace the family in 1901.

In fact, he may be entered as Julia, a daughter in 1901  ??? :-\

The various images can tell you a bit more information.

If you need any help, we are here  :)

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
These are also useful sites:
Irish BMD indexes  https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

Some births and baptisms are also on FS.  https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1584963

And  some marriages https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1584964

The latter two are not comprehensive.  There are other pay sites.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
There are also census entries for James and Maria Staunton, Manulla who may be your William's parents. Their oldest son is James.

Griffiths Valuation ( about 1850s) shows Staunton in Manulla. This would show any land he farmed and who owned it.   http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Offline Susan Armstrong

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Holly

I see you posted this ages ago.  So, I am sorry I missed this post from you.  By now, no doubt you will have looked at the national archives.

I know the spelling changed sometimes from Stanton to Staunton.  This affected our family research. We have a ulick staunton, manulla in our family. 

Stanton/Staunton Descendant

Offline ThankfulnesstoGod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have cousins in Castle Bar Mayo. Next time I email I will ask about a William Staunton. Glad to help.

Offline tm243980

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Holly:

I am Jim McIntire, related to you distantly from William Staunton's wife, Catherine Gavin (aka Kate Gavan). I have quite a bit of information regarding Catherine's family, should you interested.

Attached is William and Kate's wedding info. As you can see his father was Ulick Staunton, and your great grandfather, being first-born of the marriage, was named after him. James, the second-born of the marriage, was named after Kate's father, James Gavin. The next child after James was a girl, Mary, who I assume was named after Mary (Walsh) Gavin, Kate's mother.

In the early years of the marriage William and Kate resided with James and Mary Gavin on their farm in Ballyshane Townland, Breaghwy Civil Parish, of Castlebar in County Mayo.

The 1901 Irish Census provides a description of the farm. It had a two-room cottage, built of stone or brick (probably the former) with a thatch or wood roof. Two windows fronted it (this was important to the census takers, as England taxed the number of windows on frontages). In addition there was a cowshed and a “piggery”. (I have photos of the cottage, or what is left of it, taken by another of our relatives (Gavin side). I can send them if you like.)

Seven inhabitants were enumerated within the main house. These were James GAVIN (80) and his wife Mary (73), their youngest daughter Catherine (GAVIN) STAUNTON (29) and her husband William (38), and the first three STAUNTON children: Ulick (4), James (2) and Mary (7 mos). William STAUNTON, although listed as a farm laborer, most likely was running the farm due to James’ advanced age (80).

Common to Irish and US censuses of the time was questions concerning literacy. As recorded James and Mary were illiterate. However, William and Kate could read and write. Also, there were two census questions that were interesting, and perhaps uniquely Irish. One concerned the particular religious affiliation of each person. The other was what language each person spoke: Irish only, English only, or both Irish and English. All seven persons were Roman Catholic, and it was noted that James and Mary spoke both Irish and English.

In the 1911 Irish Census James and Mary do not appear, so it is assumed that they passed away during the period between the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Their dates of passing and places of internment are also unknown.

Should you want more information let me know!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 21:23 BST (UK) »

Offline Aureol11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
We have been searching our Gavin family in County Mayo for several years but only today found the link via the 1st WW records to verify our James Gavin with the James Gavin from Ballyshane, Breaghwy, Castlebar and the links to the Staunton family. We would be really interested if anyone has any further inf about the Gavins in Mayo and the Staunton family or the family in England. We are linked via James who was married to Nora Callaghan in Batley Yorkshire in 1901. Thanks Rob Gavan