Author Topic: Brown family from Athlone  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brown family from Athlone
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 03:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning all
I am trying to find the Irish connection with my elderly cousin granddad Mike Brown.
While it is said that Mike Brown was born in Kansas USA in about 1870 no records have yet been found.
When Mike Brown married in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1913 he gave his birth place as Kansas and his parents names as Mike Brown and Lizzie Wainsborough.  No successful research had been found on USA census etc of that couple yet. Some interesting results were found for a couple with similar spelling from Athlone, Westmeath.
This is link to the Canada Roots Chat post:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=693938.0
Our family believe that Mike Brown's parents were Irish Catholic
Family story says that Mike Brown's had an uncle JP (John Patrick) Brown who came from Athlone  in Westmeath and was a pioneer of Atchison City, Atchison Country, Kansas.  I have found quite a bit of information on JP Brown in Atchison, Kansas including census and historical records but nothing that links him to our Mike Brown
Why am I posting on the Westmeath Roots Chat?  Well I am open to any suggestions regarding my cousins Granddad Mike Brown and his parents Michael Brown and Elizabeth Wainsborough (however it is spelt) and looking for absolutely anything that could connect Mike Brown and his parents to JP Brown late of Atchison Kansas.
Cheerio for now and look forward to any replies.  My elderly cousins are ever so grateful and thankful for any assistance
I am also posting on the USA RootsChat.
Gerri
Down Under

Offline Gerry_Dalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brown family from Athlone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning
I forgot to mention that I have contacted St Mary's at Athlone and have received back information on Brown families in the parish baptism register plus the following useful information:

"At St. Mary’s Parish there are no records for the years 1827 to 1833 or for the year 1836.  There are single entries for the years 1834, 1835, 1837 and 1838.  There are no records for 1859 to 1862 or for 1866.  The building of the new St Mary’s from 1859 to 1862  can explain why those records went missing but there is no trace of records for  the other years at all."

Hope this info is of use to other researchers

Cheerio for now
Gerri
Down Under

Offline barleyfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brown family from Athlone
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Michael Browne born June 1867
father Michael Browne