Author Topic: Photo to identify  (Read 1028 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo to identify
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 August 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken. I think someone told me it was a riding crop at the same time as they told me the criss cross webbing over the leggings meant they were in a mounted unit. I had my doubts about the latter.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 August 14 07:24 BST (UK) »
I haven't tried to attach a photo before but here goes. If it works then this should show the sticks nicely.

Oops it was too big so I reduced the dpi to 300.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 August 14 08:04 BST (UK) »
Royal Artillery - 1915-16 (because of the economy tunic on the middle man - no pocket pleats). The middle three are Bombardiers - single stripe - they had Corporals until 1920.

Ken

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 August 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ken.

Yes it is an earlier photo. My grandfather (rgt # 31288) enlisted on 3th Dec 1914 and was transferred to the Army reserve on 16 March 1919 so served for the whole war(my cousin has his demob & dispersal papers as well as his medals.)

I have a later photo when Oswald was I think a Lance Corporal, with one stripe on his arm. In that photo the men are more casually dressed, some in shirtsleeves. A couple have trumpets or horns, one has a harness and one can be seen to have a pocket knife (presumably for removing stones) slung on his belt. I think my mother had her fathers one. I remember a bone handled one that looked the same