Author Topic: Mounseys of Patterdale Hall, Patterdale parish registers  (Read 7196 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mounseys of Patterdale Hall, Patterdale parish registers
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
I am doing some family history research for a friend who I believe is descended from an Ann Mounsey baptised 27 Dec 1787 daughter of John Mounsey & Mary at Patterdale, Westmoreland.

Ann seems to have married a Thomas Holme on 27 Jan 1810 and had a child Mary Ann in 1811 (my friend's ancestor) before migrating to Australia where I am. I have Ann's 1875 death certificate and it lists her birthplace as England and her parents as John "Mooney" or "Mouney", gentleman, and Mary Harrison.

From other people's research available online it appears John Mounsey was the owner of Patterdale Hall who died in 1821.

At least one site online cites a research paper by O.B. Lewis titled "Mounseys of Patterdale Hall"
(1985). I was wondering anyone knows where I might find a copy of that paper and also what extra information might be in the parish registers for the apparent baptism and marriage of Ann Mounsey in 1787 and 1810.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mounseys of Patterdale Hall, Patterdale parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
There is a book (which may be of interest) available to read online
"Records of Patterdale" by Reverend W.P.Morris  1903
Chapter 7 has information on the Mounseys

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz, I found that.

Offline ceedee22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the parish registers for Patterdale and can confirm that Ann(e) Mounsey, the daughter of John Mounsey and Mary Harrison was baptised there on 27 December 1787. The marriage is also recorded at Patterdale between Ann(e) Mounsey and Thomas Holme on 27 January 1810 (no parents were shown in the registers but there were no other likely Ann(e) Mounsey's in Patterdale at that time).

The only child of Thomas Holme and Ann(e) Mounsey baptised at Patterdale is Elizabeth Holme who was baptised there on 11 May 1817.

I have found a link to the family of Thomas and Ann(e) at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtaylor/p11holmemounsey.htm. This shows that Mary Ann was born at Whitehaven together with her brother James and Sister Agnes.

I hope that helps.

Chris

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thanks so much for that, it is very helpful. I am interested in a few more records from Patterdale now. I was wondering what other info the Patterdale registers hold for the following IGI entries (if anything):

The 1778 marriage of John Mounsey and Mary Harrison.
The 21 Jan 1758 baptism of John Mounsey to father John.
The 1755 marriage of John Mounsey and Elizabeth Nicholson.
The 11 Feb 1723 baptism of John Mounsey to father Henry.
The 11 Apr 1706 baptism of John Mounsey to George.

I was also wondering if their is a burial record for a John Mounsey son of George on 11 Apr 1706 (There's a reference to one in the book Suz posted but a few Ancestry trees and other online sources seem to think that 1706 baptism is the father of John Mounsey baptised 1758. I suppose George could have buried one son and named another after him the same day though.)

I realise that's a fair bit so I'm very grateful if you can help, but it's a very interesting family.

Offline ceedee22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
John Mounsey married Mary Harrison on 20 April 1778 and John Mounsey married Elizabeth Nicholson on 25 December 1755.

There is no record in the Patterdale baptism registers of a baptism of John Mounsey the son of John Mounsey on 21 Jan 1758, however this is included in the Bishop's Transcripts. This is not unheard of and there are a number of Mounsey entries in the BT's that are not in the registers.

The baptisms of John Mounsey (11 Feb 1723) and John Mounsey (11 Apr 1706) are included in the registers but there are no further details. There is no entry in the burial registers for John Mounsey son of George on 11 Apr 1706 - I do not have the BT's for this year but if this is showing on the IGI then it would have been sourced from the BT's.

The registers do have the following burials for the offspring of John Mounsey and Mary Harrison:
17 Jan 1792 Henry
20 Jul 1793 Raisley
14 Apr 1817 George (31)
18 Jan 1830 John (51)
1 Dec 1832 Jane (42)
22 Aug 1838 William (49)

I hope that helps.

Chris

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 August 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris, that is very helpful.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 August 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
The Will of John Mounsey of Patterdale Hall, Barton, Westmorland. Dated 15th July 1814. Probate 16th Dec 1823.
Biggest beneficiary was his eldest son John Mounsey. Also mentions his second son George Mounsey, third son William Mounsey and youngest son David Mounsey. Also mentions his oldest daughter Elizabeth Mounsey, other daughters Dorothy, Mary, Agnes and Jane Mounsey. And his daughter Ann, wife of Thomas Holmes, was left £500. Also mentions the Estate of his grandfather George Mounsey.
Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 August 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks you very much Alan. I found that will and it definitely clears things up, much appreciated.