Poll

Does anyone have info on Butchers in County Rosommon early 1800's?

Bally Broghan/Brogan?
0 (0%)
Michael Haden/Egan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Docker(y)/Haden/Egan County Roscommon  (Read 4760 times)

Offline anniejukes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Docker(y)/Haden/Egan County Roscommon
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my Docker(y) family in Birmingham and am once trying to find out more about their County Roscommon roots...Any hints or help would be much appreciated!  Name variations are making it hard..
John and Jane Dockery have all of their children christened at St Chad's RC Church Birmingham between 1825 - 1845.  Most of the time Jane's maiden name is listed as Egan and sometimes Haden, Ethan, Hayden..
I haven't as yet found a marriage for them in Birmingham which makes me wonder if they married in Ireland.  Census states that they were from County Roscommon and one census is hard to read but looks like Bally Brothen...could be a townland Bally Broghan or something??

John died in 1858 and Jane remarried in 1861 to Joseph Duffield.  The marriage certs states that she was a widow called Jane Rudge (she was living with a rudge on the 51 census).  It also states her father was Michael Haden who was a butcher.
I think that Michael Haden/Egan the butcher might be a route worth looking down.
Would there be any trade type directories for Roscommon or anywhere that would mention a butcher?

I have all the census etc for their life in Birmingham and would like to take it a step back.

Other clues I have are that godparents for a couple of Jane and John's children were Patrick Docker and Kitty Egan.  Not a lot to go on but every extra name helps in family research.

If anyone can offer up any hints or has any idea what the village/townland is or if there is anything to be found on Michael the Butcher I would appreciate any clues!

Thanks
Ann-Marie
Jukes - Birmingham
Shepherd - Warwickshire
Dockery - Birmingham/County Roscommon
Haden - County Roscommon
Haven - Birmingham
Markham - County Clare
Penn - Birmingham
Perry - Bishops Stortford
Pinfield-Wells - Redditch
Bartleet - Redditch
Ruff - Worcestershire?
Crisp - Redditch area
Morris - Alvechurch
Timson - Leicestershire
Smith - Romany gypsies, Leics

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Docker(y)/Haden/Egan County Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
A possibility would be the townland of Ballybroghan in the civil parish of Kilcooley.  Have a look here:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

Offline anniejukes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I think you are right about Ballybroghan, Killcooley.  I will see what I can find in Killcooley.

Thanks, again.
Jukes - Birmingham
Shepherd - Warwickshire
Dockery - Birmingham/County Roscommon
Haden - County Roscommon
Haven - Birmingham
Markham - County Clare
Penn - Birmingham
Perry - Bishops Stortford
Pinfield-Wells - Redditch
Bartleet - Redditch
Ruff - Worcestershire?
Crisp - Redditch area
Morris - Alvechurch
Timson - Leicestershire
Smith - Romany gypsies, Leics

Offline EdmundDocker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann-Marie,
Do`nt know if you remember our chats a few years ago (You were just about to give birth) and you sent some really useful certificates.
I have been working on my wife`s family and the Evans for a while but have returned to the difficult Irish side.
Like you, I have decided that Dockery is the line to follow and the different spellings of Haden.
Barry Brothern, which of course doesnt exist, we have decided is the Ballyboughan version. Mainly because the Dockerys and Haydens (Not Haden)  seem to be most prolific there.
I have paid to join The Irish Genealogical Research Society. I am hoping that they will be of more use than some I have tried. Anyway, whatever I get I will share with you and anyone else descended from the same line.
I have photos of John George and Sarah Ann, did I share those with you?
Hope to hear from you,
Ed
Edmund Docker