Author Topic: 1841, 1851 census look up please Thomas SYKES  (Read 7013 times)

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 census look up please Thomas SYKES
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
I've checked my fiche of Witcham PRs and there are no Sykes burials there before 1836.Is it possible that Thomas was only married once-to Ann Cann and that for some reason her name was given as Elizabeth in the PRs for the baptism of the earlier children? One of the reasons why I am suggesting this is that the 1851 census says that Ann Papworth was born in Willingham and there is a marriage of Thomas Sykes to Ann Cann there in 1816.

You may not find a baptism for Thomas-lots of non-conformists in that area even back then and they don't go in for infant baptism.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
You need the marriage cert for Ann Sykes' marriage to Philip Papworth which will give her father's name. With a missing marriage to Elizabeth c 1816; a missing burial of Elizabeth and a missing marriage c1827 to Ann there's got to be another explanation!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
According to the Parish records her father was Anthony Catton, horse farrier.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anneb and David, although I think I'm getting more confused again! I was starting to wonder if "Elizabeth" was the same person as "Ann", although it would be hard to establish unless I can find any marriage records.

Unfortunately (for me), I think the Thomas Sykes who married Ann Cann at Willingham in 1816 was born in Elsworth and appears to be still living in 1851 at Huntingtonshire, so not my Thomas.

I guess my Thomas whilst born in Cambridgeshire around 1795 (according to 1841 census) wasn't necessarily married there - Elizabeth could have been from anywhere and married there? Or maybe he and Elizabeth weren't married, there is a death of Elizabeth Atkin (age 27) at Witcham in 1826? (Thanks David for the link to the Cambridgeshire Index) But where's the marriage for Thomas and Ann (Catton - thanks Anneb) around this time? Oh I'm going round in circles again!

You're right David, there must be another explanation ???

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the marriage of Ann Sykes (Catton) and Philip Papworth on Free reg and noticed one of the witnesses Elizabeth Hitch - Thomas and Elizabeth's daughter Lucy married Mark Hitch (mother Elizabeth), so more evidence that Ann Catton married my Thomas Sykes. Wish I knew where Elizabeth and Ann married Thomas ...

Thanks again for everyone's help  :)