Author Topic: Pictures from 1850's bible - Logan's - Can you help?  (Read 18807 times)

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pictures from 1850's bible - Logan's - Can you help?
« on: Sunday 10 August 14 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am in search of my ancestors. I have come across a couple bibles given to my ancestors in Ireland, and they brought with them to Canada. The Logan ancestors are from Londonderry County and Sarah Arthur is tracked back to Aghadowey Church in 1854.

I'm new here and my pictures they won't let me post any pictures as the take up too many KB.

I have found back to James Logan born July 3, 1810 and died July 5, 1842. (I have bible pictures of births, deaths and marriages from the Logan bible of all of these events).

His wife was Susanna Moore born Sept 13, 1794.

His son is Henry "James" Logan born July 12, 1828. Married to Margaret Moore born around 1821.

Their son is Thomas Logan born March 17, 1846. He ended up marrying Sarah Arthur in Canada, but she was born in Ireland.

Sarah was given a bible in Ireland from the Aghadowey Church in 1854 which I have a picture of.

I would love to post pictures here, but I don't know how to make them under 500KB.

If you think you can help please reply, I can show pictures, thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from 1850's bible - Logan's - Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 August 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
There are two 'Aghadowey' churches- Aghadowey Presbyterian Church and Aghadowey Parish Church (St. Guaire's). As far as I know, the Arthurs were Presbyterian. There is a 'John Arthur' is various records for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church (such as pew lists) but since no townland is listed it's really impossible to say if this would be your ancestor. I can tell you that John Arthur seems to have brought 4 of his McMaster grandchildren (William, Sarah Margaret, Archibald, Mary Eliza) to 2nd Garvagh (Main St.) Presbyterian Church on 22 July 1869 before they left for Canada.

There were Logans in the area (many belonged to Killaig Presbyterian Church- about 4 1/2 miles from Aghadowey Presbyterian) but without a townland or more clues I can't help with further details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Yes Presbyterian.

Sarah's dad was John Arthur born in 1795. Her mom was Sarah Elizabeth Moore born in 1809. This information is from their headstones and from death certificates in Canada. Although I have found an 1851 census of Antrim that I have attached that may be my John Arthur, stating he was born closer to 1809....

Sarah Arthur came to Canada shortly after 1854, so I'm told. She would've only been 14 or so.

John Arthur to my knowledge had atleast 3 sons and 1 daughter.

William b. 1835.
Samuel J. Arthur b. 1839.
Thomas Arthur b. 1849.
And Sarah Arthur (Logan) born in 1840.

They all died in Canada.

When you say John Arthur brought 4 of his McMaster grandchildren, does that mean he had another daughter that married a man with the last name McMaster (IF this is my John Arthur)?

And for the townland for Logan's I cannot find anything, anywhere. The only thing I keep finding is Londonderry and Londonderry County.

I have emailed Aghadowey Presbyterian Church and been in contact with a youth worker from there and she has told me she will look into the bible inscription that I have of Sarah Arthur and see if she can find any records of her there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
There are no records for Sarah Arthur in Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. Baptisms only start 1855, the first surviving Communicants list is much later. The Stipend Lists do go back to 1820s and I have already checked them.

John Arthur (1796 Ire.-25 June 1879 Norfolk, Ont.), weaver, Cah, m.(c1830) Elizabeth “Eliza” Moore (1809/c1813 Ire.-15 Dec.1884 Canada).
1.   John Arthur (c1843 Ire.-aft.1901), farmer, m. Sarah “Sal” Moore.
2.   Robert Arthur (1832/c1834 Ire.-9 Sept.1883 Windham, Norfolk, Ont.) m.(18 May 1859 Canada) Anne Hope.
3.   William Arthur (18 Dec.1835 Co.Derry-15 June 1919 Canada), farmer, m.(1865 Stratford, Perth, Ont.) Elizabeth Hunter.
4.   Elizabeth Arthur m.(1 Apr.1863 Coleraine Registry Office) Archibald McMaster.
5.   Sarah Jane Arthur (c1841) m.(24 Dec.1870 Brandt Co., Ont.) Thomas Logan.
6.   Margaret Ann Arthur m. Robert Summerville.
7.   Samuel Arthur (c1844/17 Apr.1845 Ire.-14 Feb.1919 Downie, Ont.), farmer, m.(2 June 1873 Perth Co., Ont.) Mathilda Hunter.
8.   Thomas Arthur (4 June 1850 Ireland-14 Jan.1929) m.(13 Jan.1886 Perth Co., Ont.) Elizabeth Henry.

“John Arthur had an older daughter named Sarah who came to America in 1854. She married Thomas Logan in 1870. My records, obtained from members of the Logan family, show her birth as 1841. This would make her 13 years old when she travelled alone from Ireland. The story is that she met a lady on the ship who hired her and she worked in New York for this woman for about a year and then proceeded to Ontario where she lived with her uncle Thomas, until she married Thomas Logan in 1870 making her age 31 at the time. Her first child was born in 1872. Her husband was three years younger than she was.” (family letter, 1999)

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey - I found out where the bible came from that was given to Sarah Arthur in 1854. It was from St. Guaire's Church in Aghadowey. Rev Thomas Reddy signed the bottom of the front page of the bible in 1854. I found out he worked at St. Guaire's in 1854.

I'm not sure if this helps though.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Reddy didn't 'work' at St. Guaire's- he was the minister. In 1863 he married Eleanor, daughter Dr. Alexander Lane of the Aghadowey Dispensary.

If there was a Church of Ireland connection it must have been through the Logans or Moore.

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 February 15 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I think I finally attached the picture of the bible.

It states:

"Presented to Sarah Arthur by the friends and constabulary of the Aghaodowey Church Sunday School. Thomas Reddy. 9th October (I think) 1854."

I have contacted the Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland and they told me: " Rev Thomas Reddy is listed as a rector of Termoneeny Parish church form 1875-84 and before that he was a curate in Aghadowey Parish church 1845-67 and the rector of Badoney Upper 1867-75"

I also think I have attached a photo of Henry Logan's bible stating he was a native of Ireland, County of Londonderry, 1849. (Henry's is Thomas' father, Thomas ended up marrying Sarah Arthur in Canada).

What are the next steps for me? Is there anyway to go further back with my research? I can only go back to Sarah's Parents John Arthur and Sarah Moore. And I can only go back to Henry's parents, James Logan and Susanna Moore.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 February 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
You can only get back if the records 'exist'.

So you need to find out what records exist for the Aghadowey area in the period you are interested in and these records might or might not reveal the names of your ancestors.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 February 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
are you one of the owners of the trees in Ancestry?
Maggsie