Author Topic: James Kennedy and Helen Gemmell(s)  (Read 562 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kennedy and Helen Gemmell(s)
« on: Tuesday 12 August 14 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my great grand-parents James Kennedy and Helen (asa Ellen) Gemmell(s). James was born in Airdrie on 5 Dec 1865 in Airdrie and was the eldest child of Michael and Elizabeth (nee Pew) and both were born in Ireland. Helen was born in Newarthill, Lanarkshire on 14 Nov 1867 and her parents were Henry Gemmell(s) and Mary (Ellen) Murphy. Henry Gemmell was born in Coalbridge and Mary unknown but could have been in Edinburgh. I cannot find any birth and marriage certificates on ancestry or other heritage sites for James Kennedy and Helen Gemmell. The info i was given years ago by a now deceased family members is that James and Helen were married in Sheddens, Renfrewshire at the Chapel, Parish of Cathcart on 31 Dec 1889. I cannot find any info on the said church/chapel where they married. James lived in the Airdrie areas and was living at Bell St; Canal Row; Bracco Row before he and Helen emigrated to NZ in 1920. James worked as a miner in Scotland and his religion was Catholic. Can anyone be able to guide me on searching for Scottish birth, christening and marriage records of the above?
 Thanking you for any help and kind regards, Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kennedy and Helen Gemmell(s)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy and Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Scottish Birth, Marriage and Death records are to be found on the Scotland's People website http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  You have to register and it is a pay to view site rather than subscription. You can also search for parish records and view the actual census images on this site

I did a free search and it does has a marriage in 1890 between James Kennedy and Helen Gemmel in Renfrewshire.   It can help in your search if you search on surnames beginning with as in this  case of Gemmel which appears only to have one L on this record

Good luck Kay

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay for your welcome and i did go on Scotlands People and did what you suggested and found a marriage record for James and Helen. Need now to work out all about credits etc. Thank you once again.
 judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
Great.  If you have a problem viewing the images you can choose the download option for a record which I find easier

Happy research Kay