Author Topic: Dr John Evan Lloyd Lewis  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Dr John Evan Lloyd Lewis
« on: Wednesday 13 August 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
John Evan Lloyd Lewis was born in London on 20 April 1897. In 1924, in Richmond, Yorkshire, he married Kathleen Norah Close, born 27 July 1898. They both died in 1980 in a car accident, and the deaths were registered in Salisbury in the July-September quarter, vol 23, page 1819. He went by the name Lloyd Lewis, and he was a master at Blundells School at least as early as 1944 and at least as late as 1958.

The couple are said to have had three children, a daughter and two sons, names unknown. I have failed to find the children in the birth indexes. There are a few births in the indexes named Lewis, mother's surname Close, but they don't fit this couple and there are other couples with the same surnames. I do have a name for the daughter, but she and her brothers could still be alive so I can't ask about them here.

However I would be interested in any information about Lloyd and Kath. Does anyone have easy access to a local paper which might have carried an obituary? I would be especially interested to know where they lived between 1924 and 1944.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline haydencoffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr John Evan Lloyd Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
I am Gael Hayden Guthrie Lewis, born 31/3/48 son of Cyril Herbert Stanley Lewis born 4/5/1904 one of Dr. J E Lloyd Lewis's two younger brothers (the other being my Uncle Ken) . Uncle Lloyd and Aunt Kath had, as you say, two sons and a daughter. I don't remember the names of the daughter of one of the sons as we met rarely , it may have been David, but I remember his other son Richard very well. Richard would be at least 10 years older than me so he may not still be alive, we lost touch at least 30 years ago, but he was Works Manager for Lion zoos king who made packing material for valves near Woking Surrey which was close to where he lived. I can't help you with Lloyd,s pre war location but after he left Blundells, where he was a hours master and head of classics, he taught Classics at Millfield, the very expensive public school in the West Country. I don't know who you are but I have lots of Lewis and Guthrie family geneology data and maybe you have too so maybe we can trade?

Offline haydencoffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Not Lion zoo king, I meant Lion Packing !

Offline Liz.M.James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:25 BST (UK) »
My son visited a charity shop in Sherborne, Dorset, today and picked up an old family bible as he thought it looked interesting. 
The bible starts with the marriage of Evan Lewis, Clerk in Holy Orders, and Helen Aitken Guthrie , married 2nd Nov. 1893 at St Andrews, Brechin.  The bible also contains two family photographs.  The bible goes on to list their children and others.  We are not quite sure why the bible should end up in a charity shop, but as a keen family historian I said I would try to find a family member who would like the bible.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:54 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness! How amazing!

Gael is obviously more closely related than I am but if no-one closer wants it I would be happy to have it - or at least to have all the family information in it. I don't have any need for the actual bible, just the information.

Thank you for telling us :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline haydencoffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 20:24 BST (UK) »
i imagine as My uncle Lloyd was the eldest son he was given his parents bible when his father died. Helen Aitken Guthrie’s  was my grandmother and i’d love to have the bible and would undertake to provide Ann with facsimiles of all the family related stuff including photos. or if Ann wants the bible herself i’d be happy to have facsimiles myself. please let us know what we can do to reimburse you for the purchase and postage of the  bible and Ann and i can work out between us who gets what! this is amazing news , thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
I'm more than happy to have facsimiles, Gael. I've sent you a PM.

Offline Liz.M.James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Do either of you live in Somerset or nearby? The bible cost £3.50 but I think the postage would be dear as it is quite heavy.

Offline haydencoffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
hi there! i dont know anyone who lives in somerset . i could get a courier company to come to you and collect it if you can tell me how big it is (width x height x thickness) and how much it ways, you would still need to wrap it, and tell me how to pay you, i could send you a cheque if you tell me your name and address or bank details for electronic transfer , or you could pack it and send it by parcel post to me

thanks

gael