Author Topic: 03/01/1941. Civilian Albert Edward Janes, Fire Constable Bristol Fire Brigade  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
.Husband of Clara Winifred Janes of  Horfield, son of Ernest Alfred and Jane Elizabeth Janes and my second cousin once removed he died at Posada, High Street at the age of 45 years.  178 planes took part in the raid over Bristol that night leaving 149 dead and 351 injured
His is one of the 67,092 names  that are commemorated in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour, located near St. George's Chapel in Westminster Abbey, London.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 03/01/1941. Civilian Albert Edward Janes, Fire Constable Bristol Fire Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Also commemorated on the Bristol Civilian Casualty memorial on St Peter's Church near Broadmead (Bristol).

Unfortunately, even though the panels were only put up 5 or 6 years ago, a lot of the lettering as started fading/rubbing off.

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 03/01/1941. Civilian Albert Edward Janes, Fire Constable Bristol Fire Brigade
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
Have to do each pic individually per post :(

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Last one

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to photograph the memorial for me Spikey. 

The size of the memorial and the number of names certainly helps to bring home the devastation that must have been felt in the area.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531