Author Topic: Goobang Cemetery  (Read 3897 times)

Offline emma-dilemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Goobang Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 September 14 11:26 BST (UK) »

The person in the cemetery I am looking for is Ann Durkin died 1877. Could be under the name of Ann Johnston.

Hi Shelly

I'm a descendant of George Bartlett and Annie Hughes (Yore/Yew, Hancock, Johnston... seems she married everyone except for George  ;D )

Been looking for her death for 15 years without success... how did she end up a 'Durkin'?

Looks like the Goobang Cemetery pages on the Australian Cemetery Index has been updated since your OP:

http://austcemindex.com/cemetery.php?id=1490

http://austcemindex.com/index.php?id=1490

No George or Annie, though  :(

More than happy to share what I've found about the family, if your friend would like it.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 September 14 22:53 BST (UK) »

Hi Shelly,

I would just ring the Parkes Council and go from there, I have rung many Councils in the past about burials and the majority of responses have been positive. If the Cuncil staff can't help they often know who can.

Gerry

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 September 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
I think my friend has had an answer about Goobang - Ann is not there.  Thanks, Gerry.
Emma - the story is that this Ann Durkin fits with her being Ann Hughes - no proof yet, though. I could pass on your email address, if you like. Send me a PM if you want to get in touch.
Shelley

Offline Woodlawn1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Well I have finally worked out how to post here. lol.. Thanks for all your help Shelley. I am waiting on the death cert for Ann, fingers crossed it is the Ann I am hoping for. I will keep you updated.

Offline emma-dilemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
I am waiting on the death cert for Ann, fingers crossed it is the Ann I am hoping for.

Fingers crossed here too  :D

Thanks for the PM Shelley... & Woodlawn, email's on the way  :)

Offline Sixbysix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all hope you can see this add on to some old posts
I am looking for Henrietta Leck
died 1877 at the age of 36 with 7 children. - my great great grandmother, Buried at Goobang cemetery I believe. I have been there and found no headstone  - does anyone know how I could go about finding the gravesite - if there is no headstone. This cemetery is old and unused with a lot of burial sites but relatively few headstones ......
cheers
David Leck

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome David,

This is a great place for help with family history matters. 

May I suggest you consider contacting Parkes Council as the Cemetery is listed  here:

https://www.parkes.nsw.gov.au/living-here/your-community/cemeteries/ 

Council is responsible for all interments, reservations, and liaison with funeral directors, record keeping, genealogy enquiries, ongoing maintenance and asset improvement. Council acts as the cemetery authority in accordance with all legislative requirements relating to these cemeteries.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sixbysix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jm
I contacted one person at Parkes library that said there are no newspaper lists from this period so would be difficult as no listing. Also said that burials at goofing around this time are difficult to trace - mind you there are still gravestones in this cemetery that are prior to this period i.e. 1877
where to from here the do you think ...

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I would contact Parkes Council not just their Library, but the staff responsible for the cemeteries  :) Their website says they are responsible for .... genealogy enquiries ...  :)

If you have a copy of the death cert, or of the official transcription, then attach a copy to your enquiry as the info on it should help them locate the relevant burial records.

The live link I gave in my earlier post should lead you to :
Cemetery Reservation Process & Interment Process
The following pages detail the cemetery reservation and interment process in the Parkes Shire, as well as providing some details on the cemeteries themselves.

Online access to Parkes Shire Council Cemetery records is available through the Australian Cemetery Index.

Cemetery Reservation Process
Cemetery Interment Process

But I am suggesting that you need to seek out where the Cemetery's burial register is located as that should give you a detailed location within the cemetery, far more detailed than the d.c. info.

https://www.parkes.nsw.gov.au/your-council/contact-council/contact-information/   So perhaps start with an email enquiry to that address, asking for the email address of the person responsible for the Goobang Cemetery burial register  :)

Even if there was a headstone, it is possible it has fallen or been removed.  The burial register should give plot and row and section (or similar headings) at time of the actual interment, and not just when a headstone is delivered from the stonemason weeks/months or more later.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.