Author Topic: Information on Warren Kinney (New Vernon NJ)  (Read 5773 times)

Offline MarkM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Warren Kinney (New Vernon NJ)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Mary Ann Kinney in Newark New Jersey born 1861 and died 13 June 1895 but no further details to confirm she might be the correct person.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FZ8N-T4R

Sandra

Looks like this is the wrong one. I received a note from a reliable source in Kinnelon, that Mary Brady Kinney died in 1898. The Kinnney's are buried at Woodlawn cemetery in the Bronx.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 01:38 BST (UK) »
Great that you have found them.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MarkM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have hit a snag when I come to Franklin Sherwood Kinney. I know he was born in either 1804 or 1805 in Aurora, Cayuga County NY. He died in Chiavenna, Italy on the 14.th of July 1871. He was most likely in Italy visiting with his daughter Constance, who was married to Count Gianotti. The count was a close Friend of the King of Italy, Umberto or Humbert in English.
I can not find who Franklin's parents are. I suspect that this arm of the Kinneys goes back to Ireland as the family were deeply catholic. Franklin had 6 Children. Nathaniel C., Abbot Kinney (founder of Venice of America and Kinneloa), Ernest Loyd Kinney, James Kinney, Constance Kinney and Francis Sherwood Kinney (from Kinney cigarettes, Kinnelon Farm and Sunset Farm).

I did find a Perley Kinney who died 1819 in Aurora. I am really not sure that this is Franklin's father. Perley had moved to Aurora from Connecticut as early as 1797. He apparently married Mary Sherwood and was a Doctor in the area. The fact that his wife was a Sherwood and Franklin's middle name is Sherwood indicates to me that he could [possibly be the father of Franklin. Another indicator to me is that Perley was a doctor and thus it would make a lot of sense that his son would be a well educated lawyer.  However when further researching Perley Kinney in Conn. I only found one and he was the descendant of a purist (not catholic) from England. It's either not this Perley Kinney or the father of Franklin was not Perley Kinney as I find it highly improbable that the Kinneys would have changed religion in such a dramatic fashion.

Any help as to identify Franklin S. Kinney's Parents are greatly appreciated.

Offline MarkM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
 :)  I have found them :)  I guess the Kinneys did convert. But probably not until the generation of Warrens father, Francis.
Franklin Kinney is indeed a descendant of Henry Kenne of Salem Mass.  Franklin's father was Perley Kinney. The big question is now Henry Kenne! When searching genealogy sites one can find numerous links to a Sir Thomas Kenne from Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England who was supposed to have been a major of Kings Lynn, knighted in 1618 and the grandfather of Henry. However if you want things done right one has to make sure that claims are in fact real and can be proven on a paper trail. The theory of Sir Thomas is full of holes and in fact there is not even proof that there ever was a Thomas Kenne (or any other form of the name that ever lived in Kings Lynn.) There was a John Kenne (1)in Kings Lynn. He was the major of that town during two different terms, but records only show that he only had one son, also John (2). This John Kenne (1) died sometime in 1573, so it is very unlikely that the son John (2) is the same John that is quoted as being the father of Henry his birth is alleged to be around 1600). It could be possible that John (2) also had a son named John and he in turn could have been the Father of Henry. This Sir Thomas Kenne, also represents another challenge as there is no Thomas Kenne (or any other form of that name) that was ever knighted.
Considering that Henry Kenne was a member of the church of Salem, it is highly unlikely that this Kinney line came from Ireland. So scottland and England are the obvious choices. England seems to me the most likely as the majority of the immigrants in to that area of Massachusetts were of English origin.
The Kinneys  have prospered in to a grand clan and well respected family, but I am afraid that the  history of where they came from is still a mystery waiting to be uncovered.

Offline MarkM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
This is a highly interesting family. My question regarding the religion of the family seems to be answered. The family turned catholic when Francis married Mary Brady, who's parents were from Ireland. I think they got married in New York city, but I have not found any date or place to confirm this.