Author Topic: Castle Dillon?  (Read 8743 times)

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Dillon?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Yes you can view it online & if you are clever you can copy it to your computer. As well as registering you need to buy some credits, you will need (5 credits) £2.00 to view the certificate. What you get is an uncertified certificate which is 100% as good as a certified copy which is £15.00.

When you have your credits go to Homepage & under Search registrations select search for a death registration, the rest is self explanatory. When you find the right entry there are 3 options, Enhanced which is a partial transcription, Full which is the certificate for 5 credits, Order certificate is the £15.00 version. So select Full.

Unfortunately civil registration of marriages commenced in 1845 & births & deaths from 1864. With Thomas jnr being born in 1839 his birth & parents marriage were long before civil registration so church records are your only option to get back further.

Looking at the 1861 census entry for Thomas Jnr for clues, did you see he is down as the nephew of the head of house “John Wreen”. A very uncommon name and very difficult to read on Ancestry, I really wonder if it is not something else. If you use FindMyPast see what name they are reading it as. The importance of this is that it may indicate the maiden of his mother.

Do you have Thomas snr’s 1889 death cert? I have looked but can’t see it.

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 August 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi tc, sorry I took a while to respond  :)

Yes, I did notice that Thomas is said to be the nephew on the 1861 census. I'm bearing that in mind but am not convinced after researching John and Harriet Wren in greater depth. I may find it to be so at a later stage but I'm feeling that perhaps he's just a close friend and not a relative.

I also found the death record for Thomas in 1889 but haven't sent for the death certificate.  He died in Hastings, June qtr , 1889, age 79 .I found a report of his death in the local paper, which was interesting.

Thanks so much for your help. It's good to have made some progress. :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi HL

I too have been researching McConnells from Armagh - but from the south of the county so likely no connection to yours - I have hit a brick wall in the mid 1800s so you never know!

Anyway in research I came across documents in PRONI (I haven't viewed them) which relate to a Moses McConnell Co Armagh and his friendship with General Molyneaux in the 1790s - not sure if this General Molyneaux was connected to the family at Castle Dillon but might be worth a look if anyone you know is going to PRONI

Good luck in the search
Plumpy

General Sir Thomas Molyneux 5th Bart was the 4th son of the Rt.Hon. Sir Capel Molyneux 3rd Bart.
When his half brother Sir Capel Molyneux 4th Bart died in December 1832 in Dublin, he inherited Castledillon and went to live there with his daughter Maria, who had married John Graves the son of Rear Admiral Samuel Graves from Castle Dawson. He had previously been living in Cheltenham, where his wife and his elder son Capel  had died. Another of his sons and a grandson also became Generals in the Army. However if your date of 1790 is correct that would be the time that Thomas Molyneux was a Major in the Army. He died in Dublin in November 1841 and his youngest son George became the 6th Bart, dying young in 1848, after rebuilding Castledillon.

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 January 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »

St Aidans, Grange was the church of the Mollineaux family of Castle Dillon house so would be a possibility for a marriage if your ancestor actually lived at the house, as a servant or suchlike.
Very interesting link Kingskerswell, I was there a few months ago and took a number of similar photos of the old ruin. A real shame to see the place in this state, imagining the hustle & bustle of the place when my ggf was the butler and other relations were footman, coachman and a variety of servants.

Best of luck in your research Hampshire Lass.

tc

If I remember correctly the Census at Burlington Street, Bath, Somerset, which was the home of John Graves and his wife Maria (nee Molyneux), two of their servants were recorded as been born at Castle Dillon. I will try to look this up for you and it is most interesting that many of your family worked there, however after Sir Capel Molyneux 7th Bt., died the house was let for a number of years and one of the tenants was the Beresford family