Author Topic: How can I be sure it's genuine?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
How can I be sure it's genuine?
« on: Monday 18 August 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
I need a new charger (the sort with an oblong box in the middle) for my laptop and have been looking at them online. I'm wondering how I can be sure that what I'm getting is the genuine article, not a cheap replica. Some of the product reviews cast doubt on the authenticity of the goods and you hear so many horror stories such as an Ecig charger bursting into flames, I just want to be sure I'm getting a decent product.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: How can I be sure it's genuine?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
The program "Fake Britain" is running a new series at the moment, so it's understandable that you're concerned about picking up something that is not genuine.

It's best sticking with established companies that have physical premises that display their company name, and their postal address. If you are looking, however, at ebay or the amazon marketplace (and the retailer is not amazon) then it can be a little more challenging.

It's often easier to not go for a new item, but to search specifically for an used (second hand) item. The other option is to purposefully look for something which is not the original, but for one that is said to be of the same specification (and it says so quite clearly 'compatible'), from a reputable established company.

If however you do go for an new original then it may be difficult. The images, and the reputation of a seller may give you an indication, but until you receive an item then you won't really know. If you do receive an item, and you suspect that it is not genuine, then go to your local Trading Standards office for advice.

In addition, if you want to be reassured of its electrical safety, see if a local electrical testing company will do a PAT test for you (Portable Appliance Test).

The short answer is, I search for second hand items if it plugs into the mains.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, I'll give that a try.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
When looking for replacement power supplies for laptops it is often better to look for a generic power supply that provides the correct output.

Why?

Because many laptops are made in China or similar countries where longevity is not considered.
This means that the original power supply is of inferior quality.

One with care can buy a better quality power supply from a reputable maker cheaper than many replacement original power supplies.
Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
I try to be very careful when buying electrical goods online.  My rule of thumb is to look at trusted suppliers (such as Maplin).  When buying from Amazon I look for products which have an average four star or higher rating from at least 50 people - and I read the worst reviews first.

Guy's advice is definitely worth following.

Good luck
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

What is wrong with going to the original laptop manufacturer?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
What is wrong with going to the original laptop manufacturer?
Ray

My thoughts too. My daughter recently had to replace her laptop charger and found that the generic one size fits all chargers were no cheaper than the brand replacement. In the end she found a charger of the correct brand from an online electronics store. As they did not hold the stock in store, she ordered online and picked it up the next day. She got a slightly less powerful charger which cost slightly less, but as it is usually plugged into the wall anyway it makes no difference to her.
She was going to order through the website of the manufacturer and have it delivered but did not want to wait or pay for express post.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies.  :)

It's an HP laptop and I've looked on their website without much success. I've also tried Maplins and can't find what I want on there either .....  :(  Perhaps it's just me.  ::)

The only part that I have a problem with is the bit that plugs into the laptop. Someone who shall be nameless has, I think, bent the plug. Don't suppose I can buy just that bit can I?

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could give me a direct link on the HP site or elsewhere, the only place I can find what I want is Amazon.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Yes you can buy just the power connector or jack as it is often called. However they come in different sizes so you may need to visit a shop such as Maplins, show them the power supply and ask them to give you the same size connector. You would need to be sure that you connected the wires the correct way though since the outer part of the connector is negative and the inner is positive.

If you are seeking a new supply you need to know the output voltage and the current, this should be written on the power supply.

I wouldn't trust a second hand supply, they don't age well at all. Ebay and Amazon are full of cheap chinese items, many of dubious quality. Maplin or any computer shop should be able to provide you with a new one but you would be safer to visit a shop to show them the old one so that you get the correct rating and connector size.

Have you tried emailing HP support with your query? I would have thought that they could provide you with a suitable replacement even if your laptop is no longer in production, the latest models may well use exactly the same supply or at least a compatible one.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.