Author Topic: Caroline Amelia SHINTON b Patison ? New Jersey 1871, Parents Richard and Julia.  (Read 1893 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Trying to find birth/baptism for this lady. The family was in England in 1868 when their first child was born, and were back there in 1875 when their third child was born.
For also be grateful for details of arrival and departure.Much appreciate any assistance
Regards
Jan
Queensland, Australia
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroiline Amelia SHINTON b New Jersy abt 1871, Parents Richard and Julia.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

The 1901 census for Fulham London  says she is age 29 born Paterson USA census taken 31st March 1901
1891 says Patison

Looks as if all three sisters never married.

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Amelia SHINTON b Patison ? New Jersey 1871, Parents Richard and Julia.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
The New Jersey State Archives has whatever civil birth records exist for this period.  This link has info about how to order a birth record:

http://www.nj.gov/state/archives/referenceFees.html

And yes, the city is "Paterson".

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Amelia SHINTON b Patison ? New Jersey 1871, Parents Richard and Julia.
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Here it is - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FC11-QPX

You may be able to get a copy of the image for free through the Family History Center photoduplication service - https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your input. Much appreciated.

Pam,  but caroline may have married an Alfred Thomas in 1940, unless there is another Caroline A Shinton, which could be as there are Welsh Shintons from Aberystruth, near Abergavenny, so more investigation to be done.

Shelley aren't these images wonderful - I got one recently for a marriage. V exciting

Many thanks again
Jan
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline gillybilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Just wondering how you are getting on with finding out about Caroline Amelia Shinton, as it is a while since your original post, and I don't want to give you lots of information which you already know. My great great grandmother was Sarah Shinton who would have been Caroline's aunt. Richard Shinton, her father was Sarah's younger brother. I have gathered quite a bit of infomation on the Shintons. I believe that both of Caroline's parents are buried in Warstone Road Cemetery in Birmingham. Richard died in 1896 and Julia in 1899.
I believe that Caroline Amelia did marry Alfred Thomas in 1940 by which time she would have been nearly 70 years old, and there is a likely entry for her death in Wandsworth in 1945 Q1 Vol 1D p500 as Caroline A Thomas.
Redding/Reading - Chesham, Bucks,Saskatchewan, Victoria BC
Wells, Newton, Bowden, Penn, Aris, Thompson,  Birch (all Bucks)
Lardner -Gloucs
Clarke, Grafton Clarke, -Stamford. Lincs
Hadfield - Derbyshire
Shinton - Kinver and Monmouthshire
Dorey, Whittington - Sussex

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Gilly
Haven't got any further with her except I believe that she did marry Alfred J Thomas, and I know after she died probate was granted to Louisa Woodfine, Thomas Bishop Harrison and Caroline Francis Lee. She died at 321 Wandsworth Road, (her last address was 77 Hotham Road, Putney) I wonder why she married so late in life?
Regards
Jan

Offline gillybilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether Alfred was not free to marry earlier on, or perhaps as both her sisters had died, she was lonely. I did wonder Alfred could be her first cousin, though have so far been unable to prove this one way or another, and Thomas is not the easiest name to research! She did have a cousin called Alfred Thomas b Crumlin, Monmouthshire in 1871, who was a postman. All rather circumstantial. I wonder if you know any more about him. You have recorded him as Alfred J Thomas, so I am wondering where the J comes from? I have a few possibilities for his death but nothing conclusive so far. Any ideas?
A few bits about Caroline Amelia Shinton. She was, like several of the Shinton women employed in the Post Office. She seems to have achieved a high level of competency as we see her several times in the Gazette for different Civil Service awards.
In the Edinburgh Gazette of June 23rd 1891 she is recorded as a skilled telegraphist.
In another edition, February 21st 1922, she is a recipient of the Imperial Service Medal
Whitehall, 11th February 1922.
His Majesty the KING has been pleased to -award the Imperial Service Medal to the following Officers :— 
Shinton, Caroline Amelia, Counter Clerk and Telegraphist, London Postal Service.

More interestingly perhaps is a mention of not only Caroline Amelia, but also her two sisters in a fraud case at the Old Bailey.
You can find this at
Proceedings of the Central Criminal Court, 28th April 1908, page 68
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org

Gill

Redding/Reading - Chesham, Bucks,Saskatchewan, Victoria BC
Wells, Newton, Bowden, Penn, Aris, Thompson,  Birch (all Bucks)
Lardner -Gloucs
Clarke, Grafton Clarke, -Stamford. Lincs
Hadfield - Derbyshire
Shinton - Kinver and Monmouthshire
Dorey, Whittington - Sussex