Author Topic: Ranald macdonald 1762. ??? flora MacDonald  (Read 3168 times)

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ranald macdonald 1762. ??? flora MacDonald
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
looking for any info /help in tracing the history of Ranald  ( Ronald ) MacDonald born around 1762 Sleat isle of skye. He was married to Margaret Magillvary b1785-1875. They had a son alexander MacDonald 26/2/1808? would love to find out who his parents were for definite as there is a possibility that it was Flora macdonald.??
Alexander MacDonald was my 3rd g grand father.
many thanks
jackie
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ranald macdonald 1762. ??? flora MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware the famous Flora's son Alexander died at sea (as did her younger son Ranald 2 years later aboard the Villa de Paris when it was sunk).  Her husband (m 1750) was Allan MacDonald of Skye son of Alexander MacDonald of Kingsburgh. 

There's a bit about the story http://www.scotsman.com/news/flora-macdonald-s-links-to-the-present-1-465617

Back to her father Ranald - again it's pretty well documented that her father and mother (Marion MacDonald dau of Angus) were natives of Milton South Uist.

Doesn't help with your particular MacDonalds but does rule out the famous Flora I suspect.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Just for accuracy, neither Flora's father Ranald II of Balivanich [only latterly having a tack of Milton] or mother Marion were born at Milton or indeed in South Uist. Ranald was son of Angus MacDonald I of Balivanich and grandson of Ranald MacDonald I of Benbecula and will have been born at the family home in the middle of Balivanich in Benbecula where the new school is, which, incidentally, was  where Flora herself was undoubtedly born rather than on the family summer pasture at Airidh Mhuilinn, the shieling of the Mill [Milton. It was Flora's brother Angus who first set up home at Milton after her stepfather had to leave Balivanich in disgrace at Whitsunday 1746, taking her mother with him. Marion was a daughter of Rev Angus MacDonald from a North Uist family when he was Minister of Largie in Kintyre though many years later he did transfer to become Minister of South Uist.

Again, I am afraid this does not bear on who the Ranald born in Sleat might have been. Incidentally, Flora did not as a married woman live in Sleat.

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply's which helps to confirm that Ranald was not from flora MacDonald, which is what I suspected...however I am still in the dark regarding the alexander Nicolson and Mary Beaton ??. xx

Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline Jayzelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know your query was years ago, but I'm descended from Ranald MacDonald (1762-1851) and have just discovered through a DNA match that his father was Allan 7th Kingsburgh Macdonald, who was the great Flora MacDonald's husband.

At first I thought she must have been Ranald's mother and was over-the-moon with excitement, then discovered her son Ranald was born in 1756 and died in 1782, unmarried, and left his estate to his male colleagues and associates.

Disappointing, but it's been fun!

Cheers
Joan

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
I am descended directly from Allan MacDonald who married Christina MacMillan. Only know of them from death records of their daughters: Flora MacDonald (c.1786-1875), Mary Margaret MacDonald (c.1790-1859) and Penelope MacDonald (c.1793-1874). This all means Allan and Christina were born sometime between the 1750s and 1760s, most likely. Sadly, I have absolutely no information on them beyond this, save that they were living in Benbecula probably. Flora, their daughter, is my ancestor and she died in Dunganachy. The names Flora and Allan resonate, and I suspect a connection to Clanranald somehow. It'd be great to know how it works out! I've contacted a genealogist in the Isles who isn't sure.

The other odd ancestor in Benbecula, that I have, is Godfrey MacDonald (c.1763-c.1851) who married Catherine MacPherson (c.1777-c.1851). The name Godfrey resonates again, and suggests a link to the Siol Gorrie according to some. He was the last kelp maker in the Uists, according to folklore.

I'd very much like to hear what you may have on these people, if anything. DNA may be the only way to go, and since they aren't father-to-father or mother-to-mother ancestors it may not reveal anything useful!

Anthony

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 September 19 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know your query was years ago, but I'm descended from Ranald MacDonald (1762-1851) and have just discovered through a DNA match that his father was Allan 7th Kingsburgh Macdonald, who was the great Flora MacDonald's husband.

Incase you don't have this...Allan "Died Sep 1792 in the parish of Snizort"

Wikipedia doesn't say where he died.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"