Author Topic: ROF Kirkby - Munitions Factory  (Read 3900 times)

Offline becster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROF Kirkby - Munitions Factory
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandparents worked in the Munitions Factory in Kirkby, according to my grandmother who was left home alone at night while they worked.

That's as much as I know about their service though, can anyone point me to records/information? I haven't been able to find much.

Thanks

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ROF Kirkby - Munitions Factory
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi becster,
The records are at Knowsley Archives according to this:

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O142256

Hope you find the info you are looking for.
Best wishes,
Joney

Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline John Bul

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
My father ran group 1 (detonator filling by 2000 girls) at Kirby.
I have a 14 page manuscript describing the start up and his time there.
This was extremely dangerous work and he describes several incidents including unfortunately some fatalities.The girls were very brave and unsung heroes.
I am wondering whether I should publish his account and where.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi John Bul and welcome to Rootschat,
I've no experience of publishing at all, but clearly a personal account of day to day events in a factory during WW2 will be interesting to the families of people who worked there, to local historians  and to anyone interested in life in England during this period.

If I were you, I would contact Knowsley Archives and tell them about the manuscript you have.  Their leaflet gives an email address: infoheritage@knowsley .gov.uk
I believe they have been working towards getting images of original manuscripts available on their website. I think it would be worth talking to them about making the account you have publicly available,

Sorry you have waited so long for an answer.
Best wishes,
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline jeanc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi John Bul,

Our Mum working at Kirkby Muntions Factory, I'm very interested to know if you have made any progress regarding the manuscript you have. I would love to know about the work Mum done, although she wasn't in the detonator group, it would be great to read what you have. I believe our Mum was working with a lathe.

Best regards.
JeanC

Offline SGrundy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi John Bul. I am a teacher at a school in Kirkby, currently planning a project on the local area for a year 5 class (age 9/10). I'm hoping that by learning about Kirkby's history, particularly the part it played in the war, they can get a sense of pride in where they come from. If you managed to publish your manuscript would you please let me know where I can find it, as I think it would be interesting for the children to hear. Alternatively, if you didn't publish it and are local, I wonder if you would be interested in lending it to us? If anybody else on this thread has any information that would be helpful,  that would be fabulous!
Thanks,
Sarah Grundy

Offline jeanc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 December 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I had been trying to find information about when our Mum worked at the Muntions Factory Kikby, unfortunately after phoning Kirby Library I was told they didn't have records dealing with surnames "O" only had for "K". I was also told I could view other information they hold regarding the Muntions Factory, this I didn't need. What they have maybe of use to you and if you haven't already done so, could be worth you phoning them.

Good luck.
JeanC

Offline Guernsey Le Page Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 January 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My Nan was an evacuee from Guernsey during the war and according to my mum, Nan lived in Liverpool, St Helens and worked in an ammo factory.We presume this is ROF Kirkby as I dont believe there are any others in the area. Her name is Renee Mary Green. Does anyone know if there's any accessible information? Also, I would love to read the manuscript that's mentioned in an earlier post.

We know she returned to Guernsey in 1945 but would love to know what she did and where she stayed whilst in the UK.

thanks Martin

Offline jeanc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 January 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
To view the records I had made details about in my previous message regarding ROF Kirkby Munitions Factory a while ago, you would have to go to the archives, following link maybe of help on how to contact there.
https://www.knowsleynews.co.uk/new-knowsley-archive-website-and-online-catalogue/

Have you found your Nan in 1939 register? I found our Mum, it gave her occupation.

JeanC