Author Topic: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902  (Read 8084 times)

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
I thank you for so promptly supplying information regarding my father James Albert Knighton, each piece confirms the other and my own information from the 1911 census -- although it would seem that Carole's data re Charlotte of Northants would not as likely be related to my grandmother Charlotte Knighton. Also Albert James was born in 1902 according to several documents, one of which carries his signature. Lastly, the west Derbyshire Kniighton is not my James Albert either, he was definitely James Albert not John Albert.
Re the navy link -- that would be my grandfather I guess, I'm not sure how to follow that lead up but will try to do so.
I must say how elated to have learned these facts so late in my life, I'm now 84, and I can pass them on to my 5 grownup children and my Southampton cousin --I am from Canada by the way -- maybe there are some of "my" Knighton's here too. Once again ... much appreciated.

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 August 14 02:12 BST (UK) »
I have now discovered a little more about the family of James Albert Knighton, my father who died 1929, several months before I was born in 1930 – about whom I had little knowledge whatsoever.
I'm grateful for the help of Carole W and Heywood ánd others of the RootsChat Forum, that together with original important material from my good neighbour and friend Angie, has enabled me to put together the following:
James Albert's father was James Knighton, born August 9, 1869 in St.Mary's, Nottingham  -- and who by age 15, in 1884, appears to have been in the Navy with the Official Number 128101.
I assume he later left the navy and ended up in Liverpool to work as a seaman there and in the 1901 cendus was listed as an able bodied seaman, aged 30 years old – a slight year or two difference there but I'm sure he is the right one because his wife and children are listed with him and are the correct names and ages according to my other references.
James Knighton married Charlotte White, a year younger than he, at St Aidans Church Liverpool in 1891. It appears that their first child was born around October 1892, named William James -- but lived a short life of 7 months, being buried 19th June at Ford Cemetary ( I assume in Liverpool ).
From 1901 records (I believe the census) supplied on this Forum by “Heywood”, it shows that there were two more living children in 1901, Eliza, 5 yrs, and Arthur 3 yrs, all living at 9 Roddlesworth Street. My father, James Albert was born the following year, 1902, and sister Ellen 2 years after that.
10 years later, the 1911 census shows Arthur, James Albert, and Ellen living with their aunt Mary Carpenter and her 3 older children at 126 Farnsworth in Liverpool. So from that point we don't know the whereabouts of the sister Eliza Knighton or their father, James Knighton (he may have been at sea) or his wife, their mother Charlotte Knighton -- sister of the aunt Mary Carpenter – their surnames before marriage being White. The ages of the above match ao we can be satisfied they are of the Knighton, Carpenter, and White families of Liverpool.

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 August 14 02:16 BST (UK) »

And I am a James too . . . thanks Jim R,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 August 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,
We are glad to be of help.
I think this is Eliza in 1911 - perhaps with Knighton relatives in Nottingham where her father was born. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XWS8-ZCF

Carole gave you the Catholic baptisms and Joannes Albertus -John Albert was born 25 November and baptised 3 December 1899. His parents were James K and Charlotte White. His birth was registered early in 1900 in West Derby registration district -Liverpool not Derbyshire.
However, he doesn't seem to be in 1901 census one can I see a death.
If James was referred to as James Albert, I wonder if the earlier one did die.

Regards
Heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 August 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood -- Eliza in Nottingham matches the age so I think that is  correct -- may have been staying at the grandmothers -- and the fact that her mother was not in the picture in 1911 when the other children were with their aunt Mary Carpenter, perhaps she was not alive at that  time.

As for the Catholic family details, I am unable to see the relationships to ages of James Albert and his siblings and relatives -- even though the names Charlotte White, Carpenter and James appear there -- could that be coincidence I wonder ? Thanks for your efforts, a big help in uncovering matters connected to my mysterious past.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Charlotte is somewhat of a mystery at the moment.  There is no death registration for her and if she was widowed, there is no logical re-marriage for her.

I have checked Catholic burials etc but there is no trace.  Do you have any info on your fathers siblings?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Heywood -- actually no, nothing regarding the siblings -- and I only learned of them a few days ago. I have no knowledge either of religious affiliations, all on my mother's side are Anglo and I have no way of knowing whether James Albert was Catholic. Because of Charlotte Knighton being missing from the picture in the 1911 census, I suspect she may have died by then -- but Ellen, the youngest sibling of James Albert was 7 in 1911 so Charlotte must have been alive at least until 1904. Thanks. Jim R

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Woops, the above reply was meant for CaroleW -- sorry about that

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
The only birth that fits for Ellen is this one - Nellie being a "pet" name for Ellen or Helen

Births March qtr 1904       
Nellie Knighton     West Derby    8b   567

An Ellen Knighton married a William T Smith in Liverpool in 1924

2 possible births to that marriage - 1926 and 1929 but names cannot be given here in case they are still alive

Go to freebmd and look for Smith births with spouse/mother name Knighton.  Choose West Derby as the district from the drop down menu on your right    www.freebmd.org.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)