Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34071 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandfather Mathew Browne married a Margaret Delaney in St Peters, Dublin.  The Irish church records site had given me the date of 21st Nov 1841, but today I found that it was in October, not November that they married:

[Dublin Evening Mail, 22nd Oct 1841] October 21, at St Peter's Church, by the Rev. B. C. Browne, Matthew Browne, of the city of Dublin, Esq., to Margarette, daughter of Matthew Delaney, of the county of Cork, Esq., deceased, and grand-niece of the late P. Delaney, Esq., of Glengariffe, and of Castle Lough, Killarney.

I’m completely new to this Delany family.  I’m interested if anyone has any connections.  Who was Matthew Delany of Co. Cork?  Who was “P. Delaney of Glengariffe, and of Castle Lough, Killarney” and why did he deserve special mention?  Does anyone know anything about Castle Lough or Glengariffe?

Thanks

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Some progress at last!

It appears that a Patrick Delany of Glengariff was married to a Mary Lawlor whose father was Dr. James Lawlor of Castlelough, Killarney.  Therefore I think this pair are probably the parents of “P. Delaney, Esq.” and grandparents of my gggg grandfather Matthew Delaney. 

Betham Genealogical Abstracts:
371/ Delany Darby of Glengariffe, Co Cork, Gent.  To Patrick Delany the son.  Admon granted 5 day June 1756.

Pat. Delany of Glennygarriff in Co Cork Gent.  31 Oct 1767 .  2 March 1768.
Wife Mary Lawlor
Daughter Honora
Daughter Mary
Son James
Daughter Elizabeth
Eldest son Darby Delaney

231 Lawlor James Killarney, Co Kerry Esqr Dr of Physick - dated 14th Novemr 1771 - [decd?] 7th March 1772 - daur Mary Delaney - son James.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-P382?i=345&cat=185720
Deed dated 25th Apr 1772 between 1st Henry Sheared of Cork City, 2nd James Lawlor of Killarney, Co Kerry, Esq., son of James Lawlor late of Castlelough, doctor in physick, 3rd Mary Delany of Killarney, widow and sole acting executor of the said Dr James Lawlor.

Will index:
Delany - Mary - Castlelough, Co Kerry – 1816

According to Illustrations of the Scenery of Killarney, “the name of Castle-lough is at present given to a neat little villa belonging to Mrs. Delany, the grounds of which are prettily disposed.”  A Mrs Delaney was also apparently responsible for building Grenagh House west of Killarney in 1792.  I think this is one and the same person because both properties were later owned by Denis Shine Lawlor, probably another descendant of Dr. James Lawlor.

I would really love to find another record to put a date to Mary’s death.  Unfortunately I don’t think her will survives.  However, a death notice might confirm she was the widow of Patrick Delany and with any luck might mention other connections.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Just FYI

Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of Denis Shine Lawlor of Castlelough, Killarney, and to his only son, Denis Alexander Shine Lawlor of Cambridge and Grenagh, Co. Kerry, May 30, 1891.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 110, pp. 137-8
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Passport of Denis Shine Lawlor of Killarney, Co. Kerry, 1830-33.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Ms. 13,639 (3)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
letter from John Cardinal Newman to D. Shyne Lawlor of Derrynane Abbey, Co. Kerry

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Ms. 21,731

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Costs of purchase of Derrynane Abbey Estate from Lord Dunraven for Daniel O'Connell, 1861

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Ms. 13,633(4)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Yup, according to Burke’s, Denis Shine Lawlor of Castlelough and Grenagh House (born 1808) was the son of Denis Shine and Ellen Lawlor, daughter of Martin Lawlor of Killarney.  Presumably he took the name Lawlor as part of a condition in someone’s will to inherit the Lawlor properties.

Two of his daughters married O’Connells.  Isabella Ellen married Daniel O’Connell (grandson of the Daniel O’Connell) and Frances Mary married Daniel James O’Connell (son of Sir James O’Connell, and nephew of the Daniel O’Connell).

I haven’t found anything yet to indicate who Martin Lawlor’s parents were, but I’m guessing he was a grandson or nephew of Dr. James Lawlor of Killarney.

Gilby

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Yup, according to Burke’s, Denis Shine Lawlor of Castlelough and Grenagh House (born 1808) was the son of Denis Shine and Ellen Lawlor, daughter of Martin Lawlor of Killarney. Presumably he took the name Lawlor as part of a condition in someone’s will to inherit the Lawlor properties.

Two of his daughters married O’Connells.  Isabella Ellen married Daniel O’Connell (grandson of the Daniel O’Connell) and Frances Mary married Daniel James O’Connell (son of Sir James O’Connell, and nephew of the Daniel O’Connell).

I haven’t found anything yet to indicate who Martin Lawlor’s parents were, but I’m guessing he was a grandson or nephew of Dr. James Lawlor of Killarney.

Gilby

Or part of Marriage agreement

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
How about:
1767 Patrick Delany of Glangariffe, Co Cork
31st October 1767 Proved 30th April 1776
Wife Mary Lawlor
Dau Mary D
Son James D
Dau Elizabeth
Son Darby D
Dau Honora
---Mary
---Elizabeth - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89LW-6J3F?i=1051&cat=224404

1774 Jerry Delany of Glangariffe, Co Cork
Mary Mahony ors Delany (wife of Andrew Mahony) the lawful sister
Admon granted 23rd June 1774 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9LW-2ZQ4?i=715&cat=224404

AND A COUPLE OF DEEDS:

Memorial: 180019 5th March 1770 Andrew Mahony of Clahan
“Mary Delany of Glangariffe in the County of Corke of the sec part and James Mahony of Clahan aforesaid and Hugh Sullivan of Coonane in the sd County of Corke Gent of the third part” - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-MQ8Y-R?i=329&cat=185720

Memorial: 509645 22nd February 1820 Danl Lawler late of Killarney in the Coy of Kerry then of the City of London Esq
“Jas Lawler of Caherdiane in the sd Coy Esq brother of the sd Danl of the second part & Pierce Mahony of Woodlawn in the sd Coy Esq of the third part Reciting that the sd Danl Lawler was then by virtue of the last will of Mrs Mary Delany late of Castlelough in the sd Coy entitled to a reversion” of various lands including Castlelough - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJS-SKH2?i=163&cat=185720