Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34069 times)

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 May 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
Kenmare Manuscripts is at: http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/servlet/Controller?action=digitisation_backlist

As is "The Correspondence of Daniel O'Connell Volume I 1792-1814"

"From James Lawlor1 to Merrion Square
Killarney, Sunday, 5 January 1812 My dear Sir, I received your letter of the 2nd inst. this night. ... I know it will give you pleasure to learn that it has been this day (through the interference and exertion of Dominick Rice) determined upon that a meeting of this county should take place at Tralee on the i8th inst. to give verbal and written (and I hope pecuniary) support2 to the General Committee and proceedings of the aggregate meeting at Dublin, and I have this night sent off a requisition to be inserted in the Cork Mercantile Chronicle of Wednesday next.3 I took the liberty of putting the name of your excellent brother James to this requisition because I was sure that he would not be offended at my doing so, and because I would not wish to publish a requisition of the Roman Catholics of this county without one of the name of O'Connell being signed to it. I shall write to you by next post more fully on the subject of your letter.
SOURCE : Fitz-Simon Papers
1 James Justin Lawlor (died 27 May 1836), son of Martin Lawlor, Killarney.
2 The meeting of 18 January did give full support to the Committee in Dublin and, also, a money grant as shown by their resolution, ' That we voluntarily contribute the sum of ^500 to be applied in the defence of our Invaded Rights ' (DEP, 23 Jan. 1812).
3 The insertion (CMC, 8 Jan. 1812) lists twenty requisitionists includ­ing Dominick Rice and James Lawlor."

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 May 18 19:18 BST (UK) »

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
..and a random dump of Lawlor records

Exchequer Bill 22nd June 1717 John Connell vs John Lawler, Ann Lawler als Connell his wife, Richard Connell, James Conway & Edmond Conway
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/IRE/NAI/007634833/01005&parentid=IRE/NAI/GENABS/00767713/1 - note that a lot of Lawlors lived near Tralee as per https://archive.org/stream/historyoffamilyo00lond#page/282/mode/2up/

Kerry, Oaths of Allegiance 1775
7th March 1776
Hugh Lawler, Killarney, MD. Doctor of Physic.

Dublin Evening Post
6th November 1790 Page 4
“To be sold together, or in parcels, for payment of Debts due by the late James Bernard, Esq; the Fee and inheritance of the following lands, situate in the county of Kerry, part of the estate of Francis Bernard, Esq.
Denominations   Tenants Names   Yearly Rent
Faranmanagh}      
Knockreigh}   Hugh Lawlor   465 0 0
Corobally}   

Memorial: 336727 8th May 1798 Hugh Lawlor of Cloundonegan
“Eugene Mahony of Castle farm of Mullinge in sd Co Gent of 2d part and Elizth Mahony in sd Co spinster of the third part”. Hugh and Elizabeth are shortly to be married - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-Q9N3-Z?i=293&cat=185720

Memorial: 406697 20th February 1808 Jas Magill of Tralee
“Hugh Lawlor of Killarney in sd County Juliana Lawlor spinster the daughter of sd Hugh Lawlor… Jno Mahony of Dromore & Richard Pierse Mahony of Furzepoint …………. & Jas Lawlor of Killarney Esq of the fourth part & Darby Magill (Jas’ brother) of …… lands of Ardcosta…sold release unto Jno Mahony and Richard Pierse Mahony all that and those the lands of Susso that moiety or half of the lands of Ardcosta & also the lands of Clonlyon & all other the real estate of the sd Jas Magill in the Co of Meath”. Witnesses include Alex Lawlor of Killarney doctor of physic Richard McGillycuddy of Tralee - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-33FT-V?i=172&cat=185720

Memorial: 494017 21st January 1818 Lucy Mahony of Bellview Spinster
“Richd Townsend Herbert of Cahernane near Killarney and Charles Spread of Landsdown Lodge both in the Coy of Kerry Esq of the 2 part and Danl Mahony the elder Jno Mahony Wm Mahony and Danl Mahony the yr all of the Town of Killarney in the sd County of Kerry and Martin Lawlor of Killarney aforesd in the sd Co of Kerry Esq of the fourth part” Witnessed by Pierce Mahony Gent Attey & David Mahony both of Woodlawn near Killarney - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-3ZZR?i=138&cat=185720

Memorial: 525857 18th November 1822 John Leahy of Killarney
“Peirce Mahony of Wood Lawn in said County Gentleman Attorney at Law of the second part Teresa Gallwey of Killarney aforesaid spinster of the second part and John Shea Lawlor of Killarney aforesaid Esquire of the third part”. Refers to annuities secured on lands in Gorteenroe (Cork) and Ballinalane (Kerry). Witnessed by Michael Lionel Gallwey Captain in the East India Company Service and Nathl Bland both of Killarney. Her full name was Teresa Maria Gallwey. Terence Gallwey witnessed the memorial. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-M569?i=174&cat=185720

There seems to be a Gallwey connection as per "Frances Gallwey of Mardyke, nr Bantry. In her will 21 Dec 1802 she mentions her niece Mary Anne (the chief beneficiary), her kinsman Hugh Lawlor ( son of ___ Lawlor a dau of Henry Gallwey of Bantry), her cousin Mary Gallwey, ' Gerard ' and her bro Henry of Lisbon ' latterly deceased She d. unm Jul 1804 at Cork." and "Hugh Gallwey of Gurteenroe which, jointly with his sisters, he surrendered to Hugh Lawlor 10 Dec 1785" - "The Galweys & Gallweys of Munster" by Sir Henry Blackall.

Memorial: 536558 1st June 1824 John Shea Lawlor of Kilbwine
“Daniel Mahony of Dunloe Castle near Killarney” late marriage settlement for his youngest daughter Margaret. - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKS-53JQ-J?i=138&cat=185720

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Whoops missed some...

Memorial: 397993 29th January 1807 Michl Falvey of New Grove in the City of Cork Esq
“and Martin Lawlor of Killarney in the County of Kerry Apothecary of the other part”. Refers to deed of 27th October 1787 leasing a plot of land on the New Street.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-Q7CM?i=535&cat=185720

Memorial: 397997 19th January 1807 Michl Falvey of the City of Cork Esq
“and Martin Lawlor of Killarney in the County of Kerry Apothecary of the other part Whereby the said Michl Falvey did Demise and set unto the said Martin Lawlor All that and those the house or tenement then in his posson in the New Street of the Town of Killarney….” Refers to deed of 13th September 1782
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-B1X8?i=142&cat=185720

Memorial: 431842 12th August 1810 John Falvey of Killarney
“and Garrett Lynch of Killarney afsd Shop keeper of the other part Whereby the sd Jno Falvey did demise and sett unto the said Garrett Lynch all that & those ??? a plot of ground in the town of Killarney measuring in length 24 feet bounded on the plott ??? and on the south by Martin Lawler & Edm ??? Galwey situate on the ??? of hill being in the Coy Kerry afsd” etc Original lease was 30th July 1800
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-336C-F?i=25&cat=185720

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 May 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Kerry, Oaths of Allegiance 1775
7th March 1776
Hugh Lawler, Killarney, MD. Doctor of Physic.

So Hugh was a doctor too?  I reckon he is probably the father of Honora Lawlor who married John Shea (and had a daughter called Anastatia) because of these baptisms:

1787 – Catherine Francis Lawlor – Killarney – Hugh Lawlor and Anastasia Gallwey
1787 – Hugh Lawlor – Killarney – Hugh Lawlor and Elizabeth Mahony
1789 – James Lawlor - ?? – Hugh Lawlor and Elizabeth Mahony (one sponsor was Honora Mahony)
1799 – Elizabeth Lawlor – Killarney – Hugh Lawlor and Honora Mahony

I think the date on the marriage settlement between Hugh Lawlor and Elizabeth Mahony which you found is actually 1783 which would fit in better with the above baptism.

Evidently we’ve got at least two Hugh Lawlors though, which makes it a bit more complicated.

Also, I don’t think I have an idea yet when Honora Lawlor may have been born…?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 May 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Baptisms for children of Martin Lawlor and Mary Ann McCarthy:

1785 – Martin Florence Lawlor – Aylmer
(one of the sponsors was Rev. Flor. McCarthy – a relative of Mary Ann’s?)
1787 – Mary Francis Lawlor - Killarney
1795 – Daniel Lawlor – Killarney

I was looking for Martin Lawlor and found the following site...

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/ORahilly/conn.html

...which has an extract which refers to Martin Lalor, “apothecary and tithe collector” lending money to Charles McCarthy in exchange the townland of Lisbabe.  McCarthy may have been another relative of Martin’s wife, but apparently they fell out and ended up in a 7-year court battle.  Anyway, I looked up the deeds and found this:

Number 274572
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-HDZP?i=123&cat=185720
Film #008094164 – Image 124/595
Memorial of indented deed dated 13th Apr 1790 made between Charles McCarthy of Woodpark, Co Kerry, and Martin Lawlor of Killarney, Co Kerry, apothecary.  In consideration of the sum of £300 Charles McCarthy granted to Martin Lawlor the lands of Lissbaby in the Barony of Magonihy, Co Kerry.  To hold from the 1st Nov then just passed for the lives of Alexander Lawlor aged ten years, James Lawlor aged seven years, and Hugh Lawlor aged six years, sons to said Martin Lawlor.  Witnessed by Simon Connell shopkeeper and Thadee [?] McCarthy Gent both of Killarney.

Number 293101
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-W911-1?i=471&cat=185720
Film #008094180 – Image 472/591
Memorial of indented deed of lease dated 11th Sep 1792 between Charles McCarthy of Woodpark, Co Kerry, and Martin Lawlor of Killarney.  Whereby the said Charles McCarthy did demise and grant the lands of Lissbaby to Martin Lawlor to hold during the lives of Alexander Lawlor aged about 12 years, James Lawlor aged about 9 years, and Hugh Lawlor aged about 8 years.  Witnesses Batt. [?] Foley of Killarney, and Hugh Lawlor of Killarney, Doctor of Physick.

James is presumably the James Justin Lawlor mentioned in the O’Connell correspondence.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 May 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
I’m intrigued by the mentions of Hugh Lawlor in the Galwey/Gallwey book.  Presumably this is Hugh who was married to Anastasia Gallwey and/or his son.

The book says that Henry Gallwey of Bantry and his sisters surrendered Gurteenroe to Hugh Lawlor in 1785…

Number 249874
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-MQF9-T?i=250&cat=185720
Film #007905706 – Image 251/621
Memorial of deed dated 10th Dec 1785 between Henry Gallwey of Gorteenroe, Co Cork, Gent., of the first part, Daniel Connell of Sarmons [?] Co Kerry, Gent and Juliana Connell otherwise Galwey his wife, George Gallwey of Gorteenroe Gent and Margaret his wife, and John Barrey of Killarney, Co Cork [?] Gent and Frances his wife, which said Julia, Margaret and Frances are sisters of the said Henry, of the second part, and Hugh Lawlor of Killarney, CO Kerry, Esq., of the third part.  Henry, his sisters and in-law grant to Hugh Lawlor the land of Gortenroe in the Barony of Bear and Bantry to hold for the three lives mentioned in the lease from Lord Kenmare to the said Henry Gallwey, for 31 years from 1st May 1783.  Witnesses Elizabeth Crotty, widow, and Timothy Sullivan, both of Bantry, John Hewson [?] of the City of Dublin, Gent.

I can’t see any marriage settlement between the Gallweys and Hugh Lawlor.  The above Henry Gallwey’s mother was called Honora, so could be the source of the name on the Lawlor side.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 May 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
You've dug up some great material.

Names are like DNA in Irish families of that period, Anastasia is almost certainly a string link. If you were called Philip you were probably a Sullivan.

The ages in the McCarthy lease are also very useful. Not sure about Humphreys suggestion that this McCarthy was a from a branch of the McCarthy More family, other sources have it as a branch of the McCarthy Reagh family.

Coincidentally the McCarthy More family had owned Castlelough. Sarah McCarthy's petition of 1670 says "Daniel McCarthy More married petitioner in 1647; and she brought her husband a great portion given her by her father, the Earl of Antrim. In consideration thereof her husband settled the manors of Pallace and Castlough, all being in Co. Kerry, in trust for himself and his wife for life, then one half for her heirs and assigns." - https://archive.org/stream/cu31924091769590#page/n725/mode/2up

Daniel's son Florence "granted Castlelough and other lands to his cousin german Denis MacCarthy, a son of his father's younger brother Florence of Carrigphrehane". Denis' grandson "Randal, for some cause or other, came down in the world, and sold Castlelogh to the Crosbie family in the reign of George II. He left his children uneducated, and badly provided for. In his will, dated the 24th December, 1760 (wherein he is described as "Randolph MacCarthy of Killelan, co. Kerry") , he leaves his real and personal estate to his wife Lucy McCarthy and his brother-in-law Samuel Dowse to pay his debts, and dispose of his property as they might think proper, for the benefit of his wife and children, and appoints his wife, and brother-in-law, and eldest son Samuel his executors." - All the above from Samuel Trant McCarthy's "The Clann Carthaigh".

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Most of my ancestors were from the northern counties so when I saw references to the McCarthy Mors etc I didn’t know the significance.  I’ve now done some Wikipedia-ing and see they were a once great Irish family.  It is very interesting to see that Castle Lough was formerly a seat of that family.

I read somewhere that Castlelough was bought by Dr James Lawlor.  This was presumably sometime in the mid-1700s.  Another deed to hunt for!

Here’s another which I came across when I first started looking at these Lawlors, but didn’t copy down at the time:

Number 442381
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-M9FD-4?i=480&cat=185720
Film #007905827 – Image 481/574
Memorial of deed date 8th Aug 1811 between Daniel Duggan of Knocknaseed, Co Kerry, of the first part, Denis Duggan of Knocknaseed, Esq., of the second part, Daniel Duggan of Mount Infant in Co Cork Esq of the third part, Hugh Lawlor of Killarney, Co Kerry Esq and Ellen Lawlor his daughter of the fourth part, Denis McCarthy of Rathroe, Co Cork, Daniel [Currin] of Rossirin [?] Co Kerry Esqrs of the 5th part, and Martin Lawlor and Js Lawlor borth of Killarney Esqrs of the 6th part.  Whereby Daniel Duggan of Knocknaseed and Daniel Duggan of Mount Infant in consideration of the intended marriage of the said Daniel Duggan of Knocknaseed with the said Ellen Lawlor and other considerations in said seed convey all the lands of Lissheenacumity, Ranasop, Tureencahill, Knocknaseed, Butterfield, Lissheenacrohery and Lumbfield situate in the Barony of Magunihy, Co Kerry, and the lands of Manomine in the Barony of Duhallow, Co Cork, unto the said Ds McCarthy and Daniel Currin.  Witnessed by Denis Shine of Factory, and Henry Howard [?] of Killarney.

Question is who was Ellen’s mother?  Anastasia Gallwey, Elizabeth Mahony or Honora Mahony?

I’m gradually coming to the conclusion that these three were brothers:

Dr. James Lawlor, Killarney
Dr. Hugh Lawlor, Killarney
Martin Lawlor, apothecary, Killarney

Presumably they were educated somewhere – I’ve tried the Alumbi Dublinensis but no joy (just James’s son James who you mentioned earlier).