Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34070 times)

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Memorial: 1839/15/241 14th August 1839 Mary Anne Lawlor of Castlelough
“in the County of Kerry widow and Executrix of the last will and Testament of Martin Lawlor late of Killarney in the Coy of Kerry” Reconveyance of a mortgage. Pierce Mahony is an executor, Daniel Mahony is paying out - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-WNM9?i=190&cat=185720

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
Possible brother to Mary:
LAWLER (LAWLOR), JAMES, Pen. (Mr
Ford), July 8, 1765. [N.F.P.] [of
the Middle Temple ; only s. of James,
of Killarney, Co. Kerry, Doctor of
Physic; Irish Bar 1773.]

from Alumni Dublinenses Page 485 http://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/home/index.php?DRIS_ID=LCN10378529_0003

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 May 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
I knew I'd forgotten something:

DELANY, MARY. Castle Lough, co. Kerry, widow.

9 April 1813. 12 March 1816.

To Charles Spread, Lansdawn Lodge, Co, Kerry, Esq., all my lands and property in trust to pay an annuity out of the rents of Killhenderrys and other lands bequeathed to my kinsman Doctor Alexr. Lawlor, for the support of the Poor House established by me in the town of Killarney, which is to be rent free; to pay an annuity to Mr. John Connell, Bowlingreen Street, city of Cork, for life; and to pay an annuity to Ellen Lambard and Mary Lambard, daughters of John Lambard, late of city of Cork, for life.

The farm called the Two Killkenderrys held under lease from Wm. Talbot, Esq., and my dwelling house in the town of Killarney, held under lease from David Murphy, subject to a lease made thereof to Mrs Deborah Coxam for her life and Of her sister Mary Anne Dias, to my kinsman Doctor Alexr. Lawlor, should he be still living, but if dead to my kinsman Daniel Lawlor, and in default to Anastasia Shea, daughter of John Shea, late of city of Cork, merchant, and in default to Ellen Shine, widow of Denis Shine and sister to said Doctor Alexr. Lawlor.

My house, demesne and lands of Castle Lough, Carrigfrehane, Ardagh, Ballydrisheen and Gortacannig, held under lease from my late brother James Lawlor, and the lands of Sheheree held under the Earl of Kenmare, and the field near the town of Killarney called Draum Hall which I hold under the Earl of Kenmare for his life, to my son-in-law Peter Trant, and after his decease to said Doctor Alexr. Lawlor, Daniel Lawlor, Anastasia Shea and Ellen Shine, and in default to my own right heirs. All the property in my house at Castle Lough to Peter Trant as heirsloomes'. Legacies to the servants in my employ at my death, equal in amount to their respective annual wages. Exors. said Charles Spread and Peter Trant.

Witnesses: Mathew Franks, York Street, Dublin, John Mahony, Dromore, John Hickson, Dingle.

699, 661, 479811

Mathew Franks (seal)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 May 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
John,

Thanks very much for all that.  I’ve just spent most of the day hunting through deeds before I saw your posts.  You’ve got some more I hadn’t found yet.

One thing I can add is a more detailed extract from the will of Patrick Delany which I found on Findmypast:

Will - Thrift Genealogical Abstracts:
Prerogative will 1768
Patrick Delany of Glengariff in the Barony of Beare and Bantry Co Cork, Gent.
Wife Mary Delany als Lawlor £200 over and above the sum mentioned in her marriage settlement.
To eldest daughter Honora Delany £400 to be paid at age of 18 years.
To daughter Mary Delaney £300 to be paid at age of 18 years.
To son James Delaney the lands and farm of Knockenmuskullagh [?] which I hold by lease from Thomas Brown Esq commonly called Lord Kenmare together with the sum of £150.
To daughter Mary Delany £250 to be paide at age of 18 years.
To eldest son Derby Delaney my leasehold interest in Glengariff & Clanlaurence which I hold from Richard White of Bantry Esq, the said Derby ?? paying the several legacies making in the whole the sum of £13000 [sic., probably £1300 in original]

Executors:
Thomas Browne Esq called Lord Kenmare
Lancelot Crosbie Esq and Simon White Esq
Nealand Longfield Esq John Lombard &
Mary Delany als Lawlor

[Witnesses?]
Justin McCaulty
Hugh Lawlor
Daniel Delany

D[ated?] 31 Oct 1767
Patrick Delany

Proved 2 March 1768 by Mary Delany widow, relict and one of the executors named in said will.

I need to have a think and then post a summary of what we know about these Lawlors. 

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
Dr. James LAWLOR of Killarney (d. c1772)
-   Mary LAWLOR (d. c1816) m. Patrick Delany (d. 1767)
-   James LAWLOR (d. bef 1813) (married Dorothea Crumpe??)

In the deed of 1772 involving James and his sister Mary, a Dorothea Crumpe of Killarney was witness.  In 1777 a James Lawlor married a Dorothea Crumpe (the same pair?).  Dorothea, relict of the late James Lawlor, died in London in 1823 (as reported by the Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier).

Mary Delany née Lawlor names her kinsfolk Dr Alexander Lawlor, Daniel Lawlor and Ellen Shine née Lawlor – Burke’s says their father was Martin Lawlor of Killarney.

Martin LAWLOR of Killarney
-   Ellen LAWLOR (d. 1857) m. (1807) Denis SHINE
        -      Denis SHINE-LAWLOR (1808-1887)
        -      Martin SHINE-LAWLOR (c1813-1870)
        -      Mary Ann SHINE
-   Alexander LAWLOR (d. 1825)
-   John LAWLOR (d. 1825)
-   Daniel LAWLOR (d. c1834?)

Ellen Shine nee Lawlor clearly outlived her brothers, and presumably also Anastatia Shea - that explains how Denis Shine Lawlor ended up owning the Castlelough lease.

The question is what was the exact relationship between Mary Delany née Lawlor and Martin Lawlor … siblings or cousins?  The extract from the will of Mary’s father James only mentions his daughter Mary and son James, which makes it unlikely he was also the father of Martin (possibly brother or uncle).

There aren’t many birth dates to go on either which makes figuring out the generations a bit tricky.

The Mary Anne Lawlor of Castlelough, widow of Martin Lawlor, could be the grandmother of Danis Shine-Lawlor, but she’d need to have been pretty old…?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
According to the Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 there is an original copy of the will of Alexander Lawlor of “Castlough” dated 1819 at the NAI with reference number T/11341.  I’ve tried searching the NAI at the below but can’t find a matching result.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

I’m not overly familiar with their site – any tips?

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
There are multiple Lawler lines in and around Killarney. In the early 1800s there are three Ellen Lawlors having children eg Thomas Shine https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7149d80299316

They don't show much in the Kenmare Manuscripts despite leasing land from the Brownes.

Anastatia Shea interests me, I'm not sure where she came into this discussion. I had thought she was the daughter of John Lawlor a corn merchant. His son John Shea Lawlor was born in 1798 and had several children including Anastasia Shea Lawlor. All the children moved to New Zealand where Anastasia died in 1906. Meanwhile Anastatia with a "t" died a spinster in Waterford in 1852 http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/dw/IRE_DIOC_007246544_00043.pdf, more details at https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/59284951/

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
The Mary Anne Lawlor of Castlelough, widow of Martin Lawlor, could be the grandmother of Danis Shine-Lawlor, but she’d need to have been pretty old…?

Aha!

Cork Examiner, 6 Jul 1846   
Saturday morning, at Castlelough, in the 94th year of her age.  Mrs. Lawlor, relict of the late Martin Lawlor, Esq., of Killarney, and grandmother of Denis Shine Lawlor, Esq.  Her life had been characterized by hospitality, charity and piety.

Also found this…

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, 16 May 1839   
In Killarney, Florence Lawlor, Esq. fourth son of the late Martin Lawlor, Esq. of that town.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
John,

Oh damn, I’d forgotten about the church records on irishgenealogy.  I just did a quick search and as you say there’s loads to go on.

Where are you looking at the Kenmare Manuscripts?

I’ll check out the John Lawlor corn merchant you mentioned.  It would perhaps explain why Mary Delany née Lawlor mentioned Anastatia Shea in her will.

Thanks,
Gilby