Author Topic: William Wright  (Read 7715 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Wright
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 August 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
The William Wright with father John who you have living in March in 1861 and 1871 is still there in 1881/1891 with his wife Eliza.  As Suzard stated earlier he was born c1852.

The 1881 has William born in Westminster and the 1891 he is born in March so either could be true.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie! I've been working on this for the past 3 hours, with a gut feeling that something wasn't right, but couldn't put my finger on it. You have! Still can't find a marriage to Hannah Baxter, and I don't know either why William and Hannah's children should have had the middle name Warman.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 August 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Loupy, do you have Lucy on census before she married  :-\

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
Loupy, do you have any evidence that William was from March, other than the 1891 census? Everything about him is contradictory! Was he born in March or Westminster? When was he born? You say 10 Mar 1843 - where was this date from? - he was 34 in 1881, 36 in 1891 and 51 on death in 1894. 1891 looks to be an aberration.

The detail that your grandmother wrote down all seems to stack up, so if it was she who said that William was born on 10 Mar 1843 in March I see no reason to disbelieve her. (But there's always the possibility that he said he was born in March which he was, 1843 rather than Cambs!)
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline rosemarym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 September 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I, too, have been researching William Mason Wright, as my husband descends from Harriet Wright's older sister, Jessie (she was his grandmother but died in 1936 before he was born).  I also had William Wright with the middle name of Mason, and possibly born in Cambridgeshire (or maybe Westminster), and have found much of the same information as the original poster, Loupy.  I have the birth certificates for 4 out of 5 of William Wright's children with his first "wife" Hannah, as well as the birth certificates for 2 of his children with his 2nd wife Lucy Mortimer, whom he married on 11th Sept 1881.  William uses the name Mason Wright on the following birth certificate:

Offline rosemarym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 September 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I am new to Rootschat and the message posted before I was ready!

William Wright uses the name Mason Wright on the following birth certificates:  William Worman Wright (1872), William Warman Wright (1874), Charles Henry Wright (1875), Grace Frances Wright (1877) and Lucy Wright (1882).  Then by the time Jessie Wright is born (1885), he reverts to William Wright, which he also used on his marriage to Lucy Mortimer in 1881.

I have also found William Wright on the 1871 census before "hooking up with" Hannah Baxter.  He is lodging at 26 Randall Street, Tower Hamlets, an unmarried painter, age 28, born Southwark, Surrey.  So this provides yet another option for his birth.

My own view is that the birthplace entry of March in the 1891 census, could be an error of the enumerator - as I have seen a few like that where they mixed up the places of birth when transcribing.

I hope this helps - and look forward to finding more about William Mason Wright!

Rosemary

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 September 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt in but i am researching a different lot of Wright, and something oi have noticed as a naming pattern was the mothers maiden name being taken as the middle name of the child. So your William Mason Wright would have a mother with the maiden name Mason. Might be worth a look?

Mike

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 November 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone - this has proved to be an interesting topic and one that is still not settled.

I agree with everyone that William Mason Wright was not born in March, Cambs but in London 1854 ish!  Thank you for everyones input.

Now..... am I pushing my luck in asking.....who were his parents?  I've tried looking up marriages between Wright/Mason to find parents but so far no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

With many thanks everyone.  Loupy
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 November 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »

I agree with everyone that William Mason Wright was not born in March, Cambs but in London 1854 ish!   

Don't agree! For a start I've never said that I thought he was born 1854ish.

1871 gives his age as 28 ie born 1842/3; 1881 as 34 ie born 1846/7; 1891 as 36 which is at variance with all his other ages, 51 on death in 1894, and your grandmother whose information seems to be accurate in other respects, gives his date of birth as 10 Mar 1843.

I'm with your grandmother

David