Author Topic: Morpeth Union, Northumberland, Birth Records 1914  (Read 965 times)

Offline paulrookie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morpeth Union, Northumberland, Birth Records 1914
« on: Sunday 24 August 14 06:47 BST (UK) »
I am helping a friend trace his Adopted Father's Birth details and have found from his grandfather's Army Service Records an entry which says he was born in 'Morpeth Union' on the 21 March 1914. I know that the adoption register didn't start until 1927 so is there anyway to find out where the Birth  records may be kept? I have tried through the GRO but they don't have anyone registered under Joseph Armstrong Bennett, birth name, or William Bennett adopted? name.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you  ??? ???

paulrookie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth Union, Northumberland, Birth Records 1914
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat.  This birth might be worth investigating. If he was not married to the mother of the child then the birth would be registered in the mothers name if the father was not present at the registration.

Joseph ARMSTRONG (mothers surname ARMSTRONG) March Qtr 1914 Morpeth Registration District, Vol 10b Page 849

Andy

Offline paulrookie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy, apologies for the late reply but I have been away over the Bank Holiday.

Thanks for the information about Joseph Armstrong Bennett and as you suggest I have sent for the Birth Certificate for Joseph Armstrong March 1914 to see who is down as his mother? The people who he may have been adopted by were already married in 1912 and I have a copy of their Wedding Certificate and the wife's maiden name was Hunter so unlikely to be their natural son.

I will let you know when I receive the Certificate.

Thanks again

Offline paulrookie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy, I have received the Birth Certificate for Joseph Armstrong and it shows his birth to be at 71 Newgate Street, Morpeth which according to the 1911 Census is Morpeth Workhouse. Also the Birth is reported by S Hoey who was Master of the Workhouse again in the same Census. No father's name on the Certificate but the mother was Margaret Jane Armstrong, a Domestic Servant from Ashngton near to Morpeth.

Just need to try and link this birth in with what I have got already but it appears to be the correct person.

Thanks again