Author Topic: Which William Buxton?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which William Buxton?
« on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:48 BST (UK) »
Looking for Buxtons in Derbyshire is likely to be a needle in a haystack job, but I thought I'd have a try before I decide I've got as far as I can with this branch. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any way I can pin down which of 2 possibilities is my William - or even if they're the same person.
I'm not sure if this should be here or on a more general board, so apologies if I've got it wrong - I thought it might be best to start by asking people with relevant local knowledge.

William Buxton, born Bonsall, according to the 1841 census, died Hulland, April 1850, age given as 60. I'm therefore assuming that if this is correct, he was born between April 1789 and April 1790. There are 2 possible christenings on the IGI : 7th Feb 1790 at Shirland and 25th Feb 1790 at Pentrich. In both cases, just the mother's name, Mary Buxton, is given. Shirland and Pentrich have their own churches, but are only 4 miles apart. I've found a scan of Phillimore's transcript of baptisms at the latter, and William isn't on there. So I'm wondering- even though the name is common in Derbyshire, is it likely that 2 illegitimate Williams were born to 2 women called Mary, 4 miles apart and christened 3 weeks apart? If not, how could the 2 entries have happened? I'd be grateful for any input, look-ups etc that might help.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which William Buxton?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't answer your query? ;D

But can I point out that:
The 1841 census does NOT include birthplaces? Just whether born in county, Y or N
And, adult ages on that census were rounded down to a multiple of 5 years. So William could have been as old as 64!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 19:28 BST (UK) »

I agree with KGarrad re no actual place of birth in 1841 -- hence have you found him in 1851, which SHOULD give a birth place.

In addition -- have you checked the Genuki website, just to see if it tells you whether one of the churches was a 'chapel of ease' for the other one. If this is the case an entry might be recorded in both registers -- although you would have thought the date would have been the same.

There is a website for Derbyshire ancestors --- 'something like -- 'Yesterdays Journeys' -- this has some Poor Law details included -- you may find something of interest on there.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't answer your query? ;D

But can I point out that:
The 1841 census does NOT include birthplaces? Just whether born in county, Y or N
And, adult ages on that census were rounded down to a multiple of 5 years. So William could have been as old as 64!

Thanks. I took his age from the register entry for his death. 
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:45 BST (UK) »

I agree with KGarrad re no actual place of birth in 1841 -- hence have you found him in 1851, which SHOULD give a birth place.

In addition -- have you checked the Genuki website, just to see if it tells you whether one of the churches was a 'chapel of ease' for the other one. If this is the case an entry might be recorded in both registers -- although you would have thought the date would have been the same.

There is a website for Derbyshire ancestors --- 'something like -- 'Yesterdays Journeys' -- this has some Poor Law details included -- you may find something of interest on there.

He died in 1850, unfortunately, so there's no census record with more details - I'm all too aware of the limitations of 1841! I got Bonsall as his place of residence (not birth) from that census.

The Chapel of Ease idea is a good one - I'll check that. Thankyou.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
If I am following the correct family - 1851 Margaret has moved to Warwickshire with sons Joseph & John - both sons give p.o.b. as Normanton Derbyshire - do you know where the children were born?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:07 BST (UK) »

The Chapel of Ease idea is a good one - I'll check that. Thankyou.

No luck - the 2 churches seem to have functioned quite separately. I think the next step has to be a comparison of the registers (if indeed William is in the Pentrich one at all). Is anyone able to do that for me please?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Hi it is Normanton by Derby/

See www.familysearch.co.uk
Joseph Buxton born 27th September 1828  Christened 17th May 1829 son of William & Margarate
Normanton by Derby

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
If I am following the correct family - 1851 Margaret has moved to Warwickshire with sons Joseph & John - both sons give p.o.b. as Normanton Derbyshire - do you know where the children were born?

Suz

Yes, that's the family. William died in 1850 - he was a miller in Hulland, Derbyshire- and Margaret and the children moved to Birmingham. There's another, older son, Anthony, born 1821. I haven't found his christening - he died in 1846 at Hulland. Joseph and John were christened at St Peter's Derby. (I think Normanton is a suburb of Derby).