Author Topic: George Bush in Kendal  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Bush in Kendal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Much thanks to @warncoort and sillgen for the information provided.  It just astounds me to see that almost every one of my ancestors lived on Captain French lane at some point in their lives. Wondering now if the 1941 census would reveal George Bush's parents.  George would be around 13 yrs old and I believe his father is named John.
Hi,
I know these messages were some time ago but I have just seen them and your comment about many of your ancestors living in Captain French Lane struck a chord with me as it's true about mine too. I am also descended from George and Sarah Bush and have Troughton's, Compstons, Bousfields in other parts of my tree.
Just wondered if you ever got further back than George's paternal Grandfather George who married Rebecca (Surname name not known) in about 1800. John Bushb 1802  who married Mary Teasdale seems to have been an only child but I will check the records when they reopen.
Regards
B
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland

Offline Shep29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
I know these messages were posted some time ago, but it looks like we all share ancestry. I’m also from the Shepherd, Bush and Bousfield’s families of Kendal.

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 22 18:19 BST (UK) »
I know these messages were posted some time ago, but it looks like we all share ancestry. I’m also from the Shepherd, Bush and Bousfield’s families of Kendal.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply I was interested to read your message. My ancestor is Isabella Bush daughter of George Bush (b1829)and Sarah Major(b1835) George was the son of John Bush(c1795)and Mary Teasdale (b1801)
Sarah's parents were Isaac Major and Sarah Compston.
I discovered from the census that John was born in Broughton in Furness. I checked the Lancashire Parish records online and the most likely birth was in 1793 John Bush illegitimate child of Sarah Bush. There were no clues to his father unfortunately but an earlier illegitimate birth to Sarah Bush was a daughter Margaret Crewdson Bush. However I can't assume that it's even the same Sarah so my research stopped there.
I had a little more luck with May Teasdale who was the daughter of Hannah Teasdale and George Airey.
I have also got quite far back on the Compston side.
I would love to know if your research matches mine or if you can fill in any gaps.
Regards
B
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire

Offline Shep29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Mary Bush is my 2 x great grandmother I believe she was the sister of your Isabella. Your research is much more detailed than mine, so thank you. On the bush side I got as far back as John Bush and Mary Teasdale and have Sarah Majors parents as Issac Major and Sarah Compston.
I was interested to read you also have Bousfields in your tree. I am a descendent of Hannah Bousfield  (1816) also from Kendal. Hannah married William Shepherd (1816) their son Robert Shepherd (1851) married Mary Ann Bush. So Hannah is my 3x great Grandmother. I have not been able to find any more info on the Bousfields. I wonder if they’re the same family your linked to?
As your previous post mentions most of our anscestors lived on Captain French Lane. I grew up less than 500m from Captain French Lane!

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Mary Bush is my 2 x great grandmother I believe she was the sister of your Isabella. Your research is much more detailed than mine, so thank you. On the bush side I got as far back as John Bush and Mary Teasdale and have Sarah Majors parents as Issac Major and Sarah Compston.
I was interested to read you also have Bousfields in your tree. I am a descendent of Hannah Bousfield  (1816) also from Kendal. Hannah married William Shepherd (1816) their son Robert Shepherd (1851) married Mary Ann Bush. So Hannah is my 3x great Grandmother. I have not been able to find any more info on the Bousfields. I wonder if they’re the same family your linked to?
As your previous post mentions most of our anscestors lived on Captain French Lane. I grew up less than 500m from Captain French Lane!
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it looks like Mary Ann was Isabella's sister so if either of us finds out anymore on that family perhaps we could share our findings.
It's really interesting as I don't often get to share research with anyone. I have just done some checking into my Bousfields. My ancestor was Mary Bousfield who married Thomas Lee (stonemason) She was born in 1822 the daughter of William Bousfield(1791-1856) and Eleanor Jennings(1795-1862)William and Eleanor were married in Kendal in 1816.
It seems your Hannah's parents were William Bousfield b1796 and Phoebe Dodds b1792 In the 1851 census your William is a wheel Wright living in Highgate  :) and my William was a street labourer living in cockbeck :-\.
A generation back shows that your William was the son of Thomas Bousfield and Margaret Simpson. Mine could be the son of Philip and Isabella but I'm unsure of that as the baptism was 1794 and the names were never replicated within the family(well not Philip).
I will keep digging as they were living a few streets apart at roughly the same time and with the same name. There is very likely to be a common ancestor somewhere.
I will be in touch if I discover anything.
Kind Regards
B

Offline Ella Cinders

• RootsChat Member
  • What you forget you can never Retell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 August 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Mary Ann Bush & Robert Shepherd are also my great-great-grandparents.  My G-G-G-grandparents are William Shepherd and Hannah Bousfield both born in 1816.  My grandparents being 2nd cousins shared one set of great-grandparents. The father of William Shepherd b. 1816 was Thomas Shepherd. I am trying to obtain more information about him.

Cheers! Ella
Farrow Family living in Saint Pancras, Camden Town, Bermondsey, Cumbria (England); Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Shepherd Family, Kendal Westmorland, England
Ferguson Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Troughton Family, Kendal, Westmorland, England
Carradice/Carradus Family living in Kendal, Cumbria.