Author Topic: Robert Quarm - Armidale  (Read 5701 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Quarm - Armidale
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 August 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
It is advisable to read any links posted by others who are attempting to assist with your request. 

I posted this link initially in reply#7 ;).

Just for your info....There is no central bdm registry in Australia.  Each state and territory has it own registry.  Only the State of NSW permits accredited agents to transcribe certificates from its records.

Are you sure that Emma was Robert's daughter? 

She married with the surname LITTLEJOHNS and named her father as Robert LITTLEJOHNS, Cooper which co-incidentally was Robert QUARMS's occupation in 1851.

Was Emma illegitimate or was her mother was married previously?

Cheers
Cando

I have been reading links  ;D but missed the bit about transcriptions, I was viewing on ipad at the time with intention to go back and read entirely when I got on my laptop, so had only briefed over it when I asked the innocent question about transcriptions. All was cleared when I got on my laptop an managed to absorb all the info.

Emma is definitely the daughter. Her mothers maiden name was Littlejohns (my ancestor). But she was baptised as Emma Ann Quarm in 1827. I think there was just an error when she married and her mother's maiden name got given as her surname.

I have found the 1861 census of the family in Jersey and the mother (Sarah) is a widow, so it looks like he may well of died between 1851 and 1861 in Jersey now, which would mean the Armidale death is possibly not him, but maybe his son, all will be revealed by certificate.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 August 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
It does seem a bit odd that the Rector would marry by Licence a person who gave her name as Emma LITTLEJOHNS . Was the bride's mother's name even recorded or required when marrying at St Helier, Jersey in 1845. I am not au fait with research in the Channel Islands.

There is a four year gap between Emma and the eldest child Margaret listed on the 1851 census.

Where did you source Emma's baptism?  None of the online trees have her baptism recorded.

I had a bit of a look on this website which only transfers the search to familysearch.
http://dustydocs.com.au/county/191/jersey.html?country_id=9#st-helier-parish-registers

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:14 BST (UK) »
I found Emma's baptism on the church records database at jerripedia bmd.

Her name is as Quarn instead of Quarm (there were a few instances where the surname varied slightly). She was baptized along with a brother. So they or he/she could of been born earlier than 1827. But all other records seem to suggest her year of birth was around 1827.

The Quarm family originally came from Plymouth. Robert and Sarah married in Plymouth in 1825 before moving to Jersey. I am quite new researching into this line, so I am not clear on all the details at the moment. I have to keep referring back to my file to refresh my memory. Sarah the mother is the half sister of my 3xgreat grandfather and so I have been piecing together the movement of all his siblings. My current work is the Quarm side, but I switch between the rest of his family regularly, just for a change of scenario lol. Sometime giving a certain line a break works wonders as you start finding and piecing together new info.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
There is a child born approx every 2 years to Robert and Sarah from 1827 up to 1845 that I can see on the jerripedia site, of the complete accuracy of the database I am unsure. I can see a couple of errors in the transcriptions.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 August 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
linking to another thread on Quarm/Littlejohns http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=135728.9

and this one from 2000 http://genforum.genealogy.com/quarm/messages/2.html

I tried to pm the poster of the rootschat thread a while back and posted on that thread too, when I first started looking into the Quarm side, but they must no longer use the email associated. Found various other posts too online, but alas as they were posted quite a few years back, no reply.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline Ian Murrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 March 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Robert Quarm was born about 1800 in England maybe Plymouth (1841 English Census).

About 1825 Robert Quarm married Sarah Littlejohn

At some time Robert came to live in the town of on the Channel Island of Jersey.

Emma Ann Quarm & Robert Edwin Quarm were born 1827 & baptised on the 23 December 1827 at the Parish Church in St Helier. Robert Edwin was not mentioned in the 1841 Census & was possibly a sailor who died in a shipwreck about 1845.

Mary Ann Sarah Quarm was born on the 20 January 1830 & baptised at the Parish Church in St Helier.

Amelia Temperance Quarm was baptised at the Parish Church in St Helier on the 22 March 1832. She was buried on the 26 May 1836 at the Parish Church in St Helier.

Laura Jane Quarm was born in 1834 & died on the 14 April 1838.

Amelia Le Feuvre Quarm was baptised at the Parish Church in St Helier on the 18 April 1836. She was buried on the 11 May 1836 at the Parish Church in St Helier.

Laura Jane Quarm was born on the 10 February 1839 in St Helier & baptised on the 24 February 1839 in the Parish Church in St Helier.

Amelia Theresa Quarm was born of the 19 February 1841 in St Helier & baptised on the 8 August 1841 in the Parish Church in St Helier.

On the 7 June 1841 Robert was living in Conway Street on the Channel Island of Jersey with his wife Sarah, daughters Emma Ann (later Griffiths), Mary Ann Sarah, Laura Jane & Amelia Theresa. (English Census (Jersey, Channel Islands) 7 June 1841)
William Littlejohn Quarm was born of the 6 April 1843 in St Helier & baptised on the 8 August 1843 in the Parish Church in St Helier.

Robert Edward Quarm was born of the 13 March 1845 in St Helier & baptised on the 2 May 1845 in the Parish Church in St Helier.

On the 30 March 1851 Robert was living in Old Street in Jersey with his wife Sarah, daughters Mary Ann Sarah (known as Margaret), Laura Jane & Amelia Theresa (known as Theresa) & son William. (English Census (Jersey, Channel Islands) 30 March 1851)

On the 7 April 1861 Sarah was still living in Old Street, without Robert & with her daughter Laura Jane & sons William & Robert. (English Census (Jersey, Channel Islands) 7 April 1861)

Thelma Powell (descendant – letter 8 May 1980) wrote that Robert Quarm spoke only French & had difficulty making himself understood. The people of Jersey speak a French dialect.

Ian Murrell

Offline Ian Murrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 March 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I didn't leave a message on the other post. My father started researching Robert Quarm in the 1970s. His daughter Emma Quarm married George Griffiths, their son Alfred Robert Griffiths married Amelia Jane Warwick, Their daughter Elsie Jane Griffiths married Charles Sydney Murrell, my grandfather. The Littlejohn/Quarm confusion starts when Sarah Quarm & Sarah Littlejohn were both recorded as having Edward Littlejohn and Temperence ? as parents & both born 11 January 1805 Newchurch, Plymouth, England. The
  • is a citation I have verified, the [_] I have to verify

Sarah Littlejohn
11 January 1805 born Newchurch, Plymouth, Devonshire, England
[_] IGI 6940668-0 (find Church Records)
7 June 1841 Conway Street, Jersey, Channel Islands
  • English Census HO107/1461

30 March 1851 4 Old Street, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands - sugar boiler
  • English Census 30 March 1851 HO107/2527

7 April 1861 11 Cannon Street, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands - confectioner
  • English Census 1861 RG9/4397

5 May 1866 departed London, England on the CAROLINE
[_] Microfilm 175623 25692
11 June 1866 arrived Port of New York, New York State, USA
[_]
16-18 July 1866 departed outfitting post west bank of the Missouri River, Wyoming, Nebraska with John D. Holladay (Forth) Company + a son & a daughter - 350 individuals & 69 wagons
  • Roster Listing: US/CAN Film #0026590, vol. 15 (item 3), p. 333
  • [_] Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel 1847-68
    26 July 1866 "Telegrams"
    [_] Deseret News
[Weekly] 26 July 1866 p269
27 September 1866 "Immigration"
[_] Semi-Weekly Telegraph 27 September 1866 p2
3 October 1866 "Got in"
[_] Deseret News [Weekly] 3 October 1866 p349
14 November 1868 - died Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
  • Salt Lake City Internment Records, Salt Lake City Cemetery, Utah, USA

14 November 1868 buried D7 (UK1369) Salt Lake City Cemetery, Utah, USA
  • Salt Lake City Internment Records, Salt Lake City Cemetery, Utah, USA

25 November 1868 obituary
[_] Deseret News Weekly 25 November 1868

CAROLINE
Date of Departure: 5 May 1866
Port of Departure: London, England
LDS Immigrants: 389 Church Leader: Samuel H. Hill
Date of Arrival: 11 Jun 1866
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
[_] BMR, Book #1048, pp.232-48 (Family History Library #025,692)

Notes: "On the 5th instant, from London, the ship Caroline was cleared by the government officers, having on board 34 Swiss, 17 Hollanders, and 286 English, making a total of 337 American adult passengers, and they sailed with every prospect of a pleasant voyage. The officers, so far as we had opportunity of judging, were gentlemanly, and in a faithful discharge of duty, equal to the best that sail from these ports; and the vessel itself being 8 1/2 feet between decks, and possessing many other conveniences and comforts which the people seemed greatly to appreciate. The provisions, as usual, were selected with care, and a due regard to the health and comfort of the passengers. But what struck us as of far greater importance than these things, was that the people were inspired with the spirit of confidence in their God. One and all looked on the trials and dangers of a sea voyage with unflinching courage, having an assurance that God was their friend, and that his hand would guide them over the trackless deep safe to the promised land of Joseph."

5 May 1866 "The ship Caroline, which cleared from London on the 5th of May, met with westerly winds which detained her in the channel nearly a week, but after that time she got away nicely. Those winds which were unfavorable to her, brought the vessel -- we were expecting to, and did charter, to sail from this port on the 30th ultimo, -- From New York harbor to this port in eighteen days."
[_] MS, 28:20 (May 19, 1866) p.313>

5 May 1866 "Sat. 5. The ship Caroline feet between decks, and possessing many other conveniences and comforts which the people seemed greatly to appreciate. The provisions, as usual, were selected with care, and a due regard to the health and comfort of the passengers. But what struck us as of far greater importance than these things, was that the people were inspired with the spirit of confidence in their God. One and all looked on the trials and dangers of a sea voyage with unflinching courage, having an assurance that God was their friend, and that his hand would guide them over the trackless deep safe to the promised land of Joseph."
[_] MS, 31:22 (June 2, 1866), p.345

"Sat. 5. [May 1866] . . . The ship Caroline sailed from London, England, with 389 Saints, under the presidency of Samuel H. Hill. It arrived at New York June 11th, and the company continued the journey by steamboats and railroad to Wyoming."
[_] MS, 31:22 (June 2, 1866), p.345>
[_] http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-885.html

Ian

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all that info Ian, for some reason I am only seeing the replies just now, i didn’t get a notification to a new reply.

My 3xgreat grandfather is Edwin Littlejohns who is Sarah Littlejohns half brother. Their father Edward remarried after the death of Sarah’s mother.

Edwin must of followed his half sister to jersey, as he married his wife there before moving to London and starting a family.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London